Nov 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Nov 2022 Street and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Rt 50 Trail — Sewer repair at ramp at Courthouse Road does NOT block the bike trail. You may pass by, proceed with caution.

Taken at 10:40am, Wed. Nov 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29154[/ATTACH]

Henry

scoot
    Participant

Given that the repair work blocks traffic on that roadway, the trail actually looks safer than usual.

arlcxrider
    Participant

West Potomac Park at the south end of the Rock Creek Trail.

The Park Service (or its contractor) tore out the temporary trail bypass around the beach volleyball courts and replaced it with sod. That leaves only the “single-track” dirt/mud desire path. Kind of baffling since the trail is still (!) closed through the volleyball courts and shows no signs of re-opening soon.

huskerdont
    Participant

So, the gate at the 41st St S turn had been lumberjacked open on Sunday–thanks, I was prepared to do so myself. Coming back up, a guy in front of me tried the S turn anyway and fell over on the second turn at the makeshift water pipe with plastic ramps. He fell into the railing but was alright. I was circling below to give him space and went straight up. Lots of wet leaves now and slipped a couple of times, even with a gravel bike, but redistributed the weight a bit and didn’t fall. I think this would be impassable at the moment on a road bike unless your name is Peter Sagan.

arlcxrider
    Participant

@huskerdont 220435 wrote:

So, the gate at the 41st St S turn had been lumberjacked open on Sunday–thanks, I was prepared to do so myself. Coming back up, a guy in front of me tried the S turn anyway and fell over on the second turn at the makeshift water pipe with plastic ramps. He fell into the railing but was alright. I was circling below to give him space and went straight up. Lots of wet leaves now and slipped a couple of times, even with a gravel bike, but redistributed the weight a bit and didn’t fall. I think this would be impassable at the moment on a road bike unless your name is Peter Sagan.

I’d rather take the lane on Glebe Rd. (uphill) than deal with that nonsense.

bentbike33
    Participant

Big leaf piles were blocking the WB bike lanes on Seminary Rd. between Chapel Hill Dr. and King James Pl. in Alexandria about 7:55 this morning forcing a merge into the car lane. Hopefully the vacuum truck is coming today.

Fairlington124
    Participant

Don’t count on it. According to the flyer from the City, that zone was scheduled for pickup on 31 October, meaning it won’t get another pass until the other zones are done, which are scheduled through this coming week.

Rootchopper
    Participant

A ped/bike signal at the Washington Street deck has been removed from the crossing at Bridgeyard Apartments. Can’t tell if it was intentional, the result of an accident, or some other reason. I hope nobody gets hit by cars turning off South Washington. It’s about 100 yards from where I was hit by a car turning across the MVT in 2019.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rootchopper/52504772989/in/datetaken-public/

Dewey
    Participant

Unsure who to report this to, the wooden post where the bike counter at the Eastern side of the path around Arlington Cemetery is on the ground. Unsure if this affects data gathering.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29157[/ATTACH]

Judd
    Participant

It was knocked over last Sunday morning sometime between 8:30 and noon.

@Rootchopper 220503 wrote:

A ped/bike signal at the Washington Street deck has been removed from the crossing at Bridgeyard Apartments. Can’t tell if it was intentional, the result of an accident, or some other reason. I hope nobody gets hit by cars turning off South Washington. It’s about 100 yards from where I was hit by a car turning across the MVT in 2019.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rootchopper/52504772989/in/datetaken-public/

Judd
    Participant

I believe Arlington County is the owner of it and a ticket will hopefully get it fixed. The post part has a sensor that detects peds so they’ll not be counted.

@Dewey 220505 wrote:

Unsure who to report this to, the wooden post where the bike counter at the Eastern side of the path around Arlington Cemetery is on the ground. Unsure if this affects data gathering.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29157[/ATTACH]

Henry
    Keymaster

@Judd 220509 wrote:

I believe Arlington County is the owner of it and a ticket will hopefully get it fixed. The post part has a sensor that detects peds so they’ll not be counted.

I’ve reported it to David Patton, DES bike ped planner and counter wrangler. That tower actually counts the peds, so yes, data will be missing until it’s fixed.

Do you remember if the wires were still attached?

Henry

Rootchopper
    Participant

FWIW I waited a while to see if the city would fix this then reported it today on the city’s website. I asked that they return the signals to their original settings, in sync with the traffic light cycle and without the beg button.

Hancockbs
    Participant

WET. All trails are wet!

Dewey
    Participant

The trail counter is back! Thank you Henry & DES

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.