New to the Forum and the area

Our Community Forums General Discussion New to the Forum and the area

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Erin Potter
    Participant

Hello fine folks of the Forum,

My name is Erin and, like the title says, am new resident of Arlington, VA and newly registered to the forum. I’ve been here for a little over a week and have had some good rides in the area already, both for fun and for commuting. I cruise the R-B corridor daily, have done some laps at Hains point with the cherry blossoms and rode out to Reston last weekend. I’m watching to forums for fun rides, but let me know if you’ve got one I shouldn’t miss!

Outside of biking, I dig eating delicious things, seeing live music and I always read the plaque, so all food, venue and lesser-known points of historical interest are also welcome!

I’m also the new Events & Outreach Coordinator for BikeArlington. I wrote a slightly longer intro post over on the BA blog, too.

I was able to check out the Arlington Coffee Club last Friday and met a few folks there, but looking forward to meeting more people and checking out the area. See you on the roads, trails and the forum!

Erin

consularrider
    Participant

Welcome to DC and this crazy group. Sorry I was sick and miss last Friday’s coffee club.

Dickie
    Participant

Welcome to the area, the forum, the trails, and to Bike Arlington…. great to have you on board and looking forward to seeing you out there on the roads and at the events. Lots of good food in the area as I’m sure you’ve already found out. I am sure everyone has their favorite places to share with you… being a foodie my list is a little long so I’ll wait until the next coffee club get-together to share.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

Welcome! Just FYI, all the cool kids will be at the Westover Beer Garden for a post-Bike to Work Day Happy Hour.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

What time? And are Marylanders allowed, or are we automatically not cool kids? ;)

@TwoWheelsDC 82527 wrote:

Welcome! Just FYI, all the cool kids will be at the Westover Beer Garden for a post-Bike to Work Day Happy Hour.

consularrider
    Participant

And we have to wait for another month?

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

The Crystal City Phoenix Derby indoor cyclocross event is coming up soon, but I suspect that you already know about it. (I don’t think Tim would let you miss it. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to fill out the roster for the Super Mario or Disney Princess team.)

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 82542 wrote:

What time? And are Marylanders allowed, or are we automatically not cool kids? ;)

6ish? And I would bet at least one forum member will be shutting that place down, so feel free to come whenever. And “cool kids” are all about attitude…geography is irrelevant.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 82545 wrote:

The Crystal City Phoenix Derby indoor cyclocross event is coming up soon, but I suspect that you already know about it. (I don’t think Tim would let you miss it. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be able to fill out the roster for the Super Mario or Disney Princess team.)

We’re currently taking requests for the BikeArlington team theme….

Henry
    Keymaster

Erin:

Welcome to Arlington, the forum, and Bike Arlington in particular.

Another event I’d like to get on your radar is Phoenix Bikes’ monthly (3rd Wednesdays) All the Cycle Ladies clinics in our shop in Barcroft Park. The next one is tomorrow (4/16), 6:30-9pm. This one focuses on being a bike commuter, but more importantly, can help introduce you to more bike-curious riders, just the group you’re trying reach. Most attendees are just getting into the habit and want to learn more.
    Henry

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

You also have my compliments for going au naturel, regardless of what the helment mafia says.

https://www.facebook.com/BikeArlington/photos/a.210531322348725.47326.205971902804667/617310221670831/?type=1&theater

dasgeh
    Participant

Hi Erin,

Welcome! We’re all very excited to have you here. I’m sure Chris and Tim will fill you in, but you also need to meet Kyle Lucasz, Arlington Public School’s awesome (and relatively new) Safe Routes to Schools coordinator. In fact, you may want to reach out soon to help with Bike and Walk to School Day in May.

Also, I’m Gillian, founder of Kidical Mass Arlington. We run group rides for families. We’d love to have you on one of our rides (schedule for the season coming soon). I hope to meet you soon (maybe when I stop by to refill on swag).

dasgeh
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 82552 wrote:

Mad Men

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 82552 wrote:

… Frozen? The Avengers? Godzilla? Orphan Black (but most people may not recognize it)? Strawberry Shortcake (LOL)?

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@dasgeh 82559 wrote:

you also need to meet Kyle Lucasz, Arlington Public School’s awesome (and relatively new) Safe Routes to Schools coordinator. In fact, you may want to reach out soon to help with Bike and Walk to School Day in May.

They’ve already met! And yes, we’ll be helping out with BtSD again this year–I’ve currently got 18,000 stickers sitting on my desk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.