New sinkhole on the W&OD just east of EFC Metro.

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions New sinkhole on the W&OD just east of EFC Metro.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dirt
    Participant

My morning commute is completely falling apart. Sorry to keep posting up about it.

The recent rain has taken its toll on the W&OD trail. There is a 6″ hole forming in the middle of the trail. When I passed at 0615 today there was a stick in it to alert people to its presence.

The hole is located just east of Sycamore St. underpass. After you get out of the tunnel, you turn left and then right to parallel I-66. After you climb it is in the middle of the downhill.

I’ll call and report it.

Pete

AJsinVA
    Participant

I saw that too. The stick is pretty visible but I am not sure which I would rather hit.

Dirt
    Participant

It isn’t a big threat now, but if there’s a lot of erosion under there, it is gonna get bigger.

sinkhole_3.jpg

Well maybe not that big.

skreaminquadz
    Participant

Dang – how did I miss it! I’m clearly not “aware” of my surroundings on my commute. First the port-a-potties now this sink hole.

Dirt
    Participant

There were two cones and a sign on it when I rolled through at 0600 this morning.

Dirt
    Participant

It is fixed. There’s still a cone in there. It should be removed soon too.

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

Was discussed and noted with Arlington’s trails guy last night. Filled with cold-patch, yes?

Dirt
    Participant

I didn’t take its temperature, but that appears to be fix that was done. That may be an area that we’ll have to keep an eye on. If the soil has eroded from under the trail, that little bugger may be back.

Serious kudos to folks for fixing it quickly and well. Thank you!

Dirt
    Participant

I got a good look at the fix. It is very well done. They made the hole a little bigger and filled it in with something, then patched the top. That’s what it looks like at least. Cone is still there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘New sinkhole on the W&OD just east of EFC Metro.’ is closed to new replies.