Need Help to ID cyclist who assaulted me on the WO&D near Custis 7:45am May 13th

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2013 Need Help to ID cyclist who assaulted me on the WO&D near Custis 7:45am May 13th

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

@mcgeekgrrl 52102 wrote:

I would suggest that we all should at least TRY to refrain from making inflammatory comments.

I find the best way to avoid road rage…. is to not engage in it. At all. Ever.

There are assholes out there. And just like our patron saint, Crazy Ivan, we must give this American, er, asshole, a wide berth. 5% of the population (or whatever) are jerks. There are a lot of people out there who are walking bad-moods, for whatever reason. If you respond to them, they are going to respond to you. If you step aside and let them by, they are going to find someone else to respond to.

I’ve been cycling for a long long long (long) time. I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever. My goal is to get home safely. It’s not to respond to a jerk.

baiskeli
    Participant

White male, 50s, white facial hair, half-crazy – that narrows it down to about 2/3rds of bike commuters.

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

@rcannon100 52202 wrote:

I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever.

Little girl flippin’ you the bird disagrees.

McChipstah
    Participant

@rcannon100 52202 wrote:

I find the best way to avoid road rage…. is to not engage in it. At all. Ever.

There are assholes out there. And just like our patron saint, Crazy Ivan, we must give this American, er, asshole, a wide berth. 5% of the population (or whatever) are jerks. There are a lot of people out there who are walking bad-moods, for whatever reason. If you respond to them, they are going to respond to you. If you step aside and let them by, they are going to find someone else to respond to. I’ve been cycling for a long long long (long) time. I dont respond to road rage. At all. Ever. My goal is to get home safely. It’s not to respond to a jerk.

I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser. Your method of dealing w/bad behavior results in women being held hostage in a house for 10 years, or a wife being murdered b/c her friends didn’t want to “respond” to the jerky husband. People who behave aggressively over and over should be, at a minimum, called out.

I too have cycled for years and am also a parent-I teach my children that if they behave badly, they will be held accountable.

McChipstah
    Participant

@baiskeli 52277 wrote:

White male, 50s, white facial hair, half-crazy – that narrows it down to about 2/3rds of bike commuters.

Trust me… I know. I wish I’d been able to see the make and model of his bike… oh well. The good news is I know I’ll get to see him again! AND I know how to get his attention LOL!!!!!

baiskeli
    Participant

@McChipstah 52335 wrote:

I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean you do it yourself. That can often just make things worse. Nobody is saying don’t do anything when someone is being victimized. If things are serious, and there’s no immediate threat that requires intervention, you can call the police or other appropriate authority.

pfunkallstar
    Participant

Based on my experience, you have to go into these kind of conversations with a VERY even tone and avoid any sort of escalation. Even the hottest hotheads will respond to reason, that or you’ll get a knuckle sandwich. Never yell obscenities, just critique what you see.

dasgeh
    Participant

@McChipstah 52335 wrote:

I disagree. A good citizen in a civilized society should take the time to stick his/her neck out to rectify a situation when they are witness to or the victim of a habitual abuser. Your method of dealing w/bad behavior results in women being held hostage in a house for 10 years, or a wife being murdered b/c her friends didn’t want to “respond” to the jerky husband. People who behave aggressively over and over should be, at a minimum, called out.

I too have cycled for years and am also a parent-I teach my children that if they behave badly, they will be held accountable.

Is it possible that there is a difference being calling someone out in the vain of a “good citizen of a civilized society” and shouting “a$$hole” after a guy?

Honestly, shouting an expletive after someone sounds like road rage to me, and road rage + road rage = dangerous. That in no way makes what he did in any way ok. It’s more practical advice – how can you stop this habitual aggressor? Involving others (us, the cops) and explaining your position calmly seem to be safer and probably more effective to me.

Speaking of good behavior and kids, you should come to Kidical Mass on Sunday. There will be lots of law abiding, enabled in part by Bike Arlington swag.

Mariner
    Participant

@McChipstah 52199 wrote:

I’m in complete agreement and have done exactly that for 2 years. However this guy is a habitual aggressor, this not being the his first time harassing me and other female runners as he aggressively speeds by and yells at us. At some point, someone needs to take a stand and stop him. I’ve filed a police report and plan on pressing charges.

So what does he ride? Any other distinguishing characteristics?

I have video on now for all my rides just in case ‘s’ like this happens.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.