Need child trailer recommendations

Our Community Forums Family Biking Need child trailer recommendations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JanaeBixby
    Participant

I have a 1-year old and we just got a Burley Bee double bike trailer. We have made several attempts at using it but the positioning of our 1-year old in it is horrible. The hammock seat just causes him to slouch and the helmet pushes his head forward causing his chin to go to his chest, creating a very uncomfortable position for him as well as a dangerous position collapsing his airway.

Do you have a recommendation for a trailer that (1) has a structured bench seat instead of a suspended hammock and (2) gives enough room at the back of the head for a child wearing a helmet?

My preference is for a double trailer and I don’t mind spending a fair amount of money.

bentbike33
    Participant

@JanaeBixby 200908 wrote:

I have a 1-year old and we just got a Burley Bee double bike trailer. We have made several attempts at using it but the positioning of our 1-year old in it is horrible. The hammock seat just causes him to slouch and the helmet pushes his head forward causing his chin to go to his chest, creating a very uncomfortable position for him as well as a dangerous position collapsing his airway.

Do you have a recommendation for a trailer that (1) has a structured bench seat instead of a suspended hammock and (2) gives enough room at the back of the head for a child wearing a helmet?

My preference is for a double trailer and I don’t mind spending a fair amount of money.

Maybe strap the car seat in the trailer until he gets bigger.

Dewey
    Participant

Burley sell a seat pad for their trailers in case you want to give that a try. The Two Wheeling Tots review site does a good job describing the features of bicycle trailers, their two top recommendations the Thule Cross and Hamax Outback both feature reclining seats, seat pads, and suspension. Another solution might be the Argo bolt on front cargo box – you can remove the bench and bolt a Steco Baby Mee carrier into the floor on which you could attach a Maxi Cosi car seat facing you. I’ve also found the DC Family Biking Facebook group friendly and good for asking questions about local resources.

EasyRider
    Participant

I think this issue is common to most bike trailers, which are designed for kids of varying sizes, ages 1-5.

The usual advice is to roll up a bath or beach towel as a sort of lumbar roll, so that the kid’s head isn’t pushed forward with chin down. You could also put a folded up towel or two on the seat to raise them up a bit. Or a small pillow.

They’ll outgrow the problem in a few months. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to strap a car seat in there, unless the trailer was designed for it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.