N Veitch and Lee Highway – pavement scouring

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions N Veitch and Lee Highway – pavement scouring

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Just161
    Participant

The intersection of N Veitch St and Lee Highway near the Custis Trail is all cut up… pavement scouring, ruts, and sharp, almost 4-inch cuts in the pavement. Be carefu, especially coming down the hill from Courthousel – may even want to dismount. Pretty rough on bike tires!

Anyone know how long these conditions will last? Is this project Arlington or VDOT?

consularrider
    Participant

Don’t know anything, but from the other similar projects in the area so far this summer (Arlington Mill and 4 Mile Run S), it seems to take about two weeks to get the repaving done once the layer of asphalt was removed.

Just161
    Participant

Looks like I spoke too soon. Repavement was completed yesterday – smooth sailing for the ride home last night. Nice and fast!

Dirt
    Participant

I dove into that on Lee Hwy on my ride home yesterday. Added a bit of variety to the ride. We’ll see if they finish that lane before digging up the next or if they’re gonna dig up the whole road before they start re-paving.

Dirt
    Participant

Paving is coming along pretty well. They’re scraping a lane, then paving it… starting at the bottom of the hill in Rosslyn and heading up toward Veitch. They’re most of the way done with scraping the right lane, they’re about 1/3 of the way done paving it. Be careful as you ride through. I had a dozen bottles of water in my buckets and the folks doing the work were extremely appreciative for a cold beverage from a passing cyclist.

Extremely nice people doing the work under some seriously disgusting conditions.

Happy trails.

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

From elsewhere:

VDOT is at it again. The re paving operation on Lee Highway has scattered signs all over the Trail coming into Rosslyn. Some signs are up, some are down. They are a major hazard on the Trail. They belong on the road. I spoke to a police offer on the scene and asked him to have them removed.

Dirt
    Participant

@Mark Blacknell 693 wrote:

From elsewhere:

They make a cool sound when a 200 pound guy riding a 80 pound cargo bike hits them @20 mph. ;)

JUST KIDDING!!!

Love,

Pete

Dirt
    Participant

They carted off all the equipment, so perhaps they were just going to pave the right lane. That part appears to be done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘N Veitch and Lee Highway – pavement scouring’ is closed to new replies.