More kids this year!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

An interesting take away from BTWD this year was that there seemed to be more kids tagging along with their parents on the way to school or day care. Usually it’s just one or two kids the whole morning, but today at Ballston there must have been about a dozen kids who came by!

This pleases me greatly.

jrenaut
    Participant

There were a lot more kids biking to my daughter’s school today than normal, too.

eminva
    Participant

We had a bunch of kids roll through Vienna, too. Great to see.

Liz

Dickie
    Participant

Yep, seems pretty consistent… lots of kids at the Rosslyn pit stop this morning.

americancyclo
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 52560 wrote:

An interesting take away from BTWD this year was that there seemed to be more kids tagging along with their parents on the way to school or day care. Usually it’s just one or two kids the whole morning, but today at Ballston there must have been about a dozen kids who came by!

This pleases me greatly.

I know for a fact my 4 yr old nephew was there. he got a whole bunch of blinkies for the neighborhood kids bikes!

baiskeli
    Participant

I noticed there were also more Micheal Jacksons riding tiny clown bikes and Elvi riding unicycles than usual.

ronwalf
    Participant

Greenbelt had a number of kids, too (including my own). It helped that there were two nursery schools within a hundred yards of the stop.

dasgeh
    Participant

This is one of the best things I’ve heard about cycling in a long time! I’m a really big believer in the notion that the way to really make cycling a “normal” transportation option is to get kids on board – because once you’re a parent, you’ve got to figure out how the kids are going to fit into any plan, and because when people see kids on bikes, the perception of safety increases and the perception of difficulty decrease (a convoluted way to say if someone sees me (not crazy in shape) on a bike toting my kid around, they are more likely to think “huh, if she’ll take her toddler out, it must not be as unsafe as I assumed”and “huh, if she can get that huge bike with kid around town, I can get myself to the [grocery store, restaurant, work] on a bike too!”)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who volunteered to make BTWD happen, everyone who biked to make it successful, and everyone who smiled at a cyclist today.

Extra huge thanks to those who handed out Kidical Mass flyers and/or talked up our inaugural Kidical Mass Arlington ride this Sunday! Hope to see some of you there!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.