Message Board at Key Bridge this morning 5/10? Terrible, right?

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2017 Message Board at Key Bridge this morning 5/10? Terrible, right?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Did anyone else see the message board set up at the Virginia side of Key Bridge this morning. It said something like “Bike ride 5/12/17. Avoid Downtown.” Warnings are by definition not positive. It’s not very endearing either. It implies biking to work is an impractical lark that’s really going to mess up your day.

It should have said “Tired of sitting in traffic? Ride your bike to work on 5/12/17.” Or I would have settled for just “Bike to Work day 5/12/17.” People know what that means. And if they don’t, the simplicity of the message implies that they should know what that means so they should go find out about it. Incentive!

Or tell me it was a different date and different ride that they were warning about.

mstone
    Participant

If you’re not sure about the date, I would guess it’s the DC bike ride on Sunday, which will have a bunch of roads closed downtown. They have the same warning for marathons & such.

@mstone 159818 wrote:

If you’re not sure about the date, I would guess it’s the DC bike ride on Sunday, which will have a bunch of roads closed downtown. They have the same warning for marathons & such.

Thanks. I’m feeling much better now.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@Brendan von Buckingham 159817 wrote:

Or tell me it was a different date and different ride that they were warning about.

It was a different date and different ride. But yeah, make sure to register for Bike to Work Day on 5/19: biketoworkmetrodc.org

Sunyata
    Participant

@mstone 159818 wrote:

Actually, they are referring to the annual Police Unity Tour, which will be culminating in DC on Friday, May 12th.

The high point of the ride is the arrival ceremony, which will happen around 2:00 at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. If you have never seen it, you should go. It is pretty freaking amazing.

@Sunyata 159838 wrote:

Actually, they are referring to the annual Police Unity Tour, which will be culminating in DC on Friday, May 12th.

The high point of the ride is the arrival ceremony, which will happen around 2:00 at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. If you have never seen it, you should go. It is pretty freaking amazing.

I can’t be trusted with a calendar. They’re too complicated and confuse me.

ChampionTier
    Participant

@Sunyata 159838 wrote:

I happened to be staring out my office window toward Crystal City and saw the motorcade roll by the Pentagon with hundreds of bikers in tow…very cool!

huskerdont
    Participant

They’re all congregated right now near the Law Enforcement Memorial/National Building Museum. Every year when I see this group, I wonder how cyclists don’t, in general, have a better relationship with law enforcement. There are so many of them here, and that many cyclist police officers should mean more officers with an understanding of the safety challenges of being a cyclist. I suppose it’s just too small a percentage though.

baiskeli
    Participant

Proposed sign: “Bike to Work Day 5/19/17. Less car traffic. You’re welcome!”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.