May 2019 Arlington BAC meeting: 5/4 4620 Lee Hwy – 10am ride/11am meeting

Our Community Forums Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee May 2019 Arlington BAC meeting: 5/4 4620 Lee Hwy – 10am ride/11am meeting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

Happy bike month!

The May 2019 Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee will be tomorrow, Saturday, May 4, starting with an optional ride at 10am and then a meeting at 11am. The ride meets and the meeting will be held at the LHA offices at 4620 Lee Highway (above the Long & Fosters).

We are very excited about our 2nd meeting with Lee Highway Alliance! We will do a similar ride + meeting that we did for Columbia Pike. The route takes us on streets that run parallel to Lee Highway that have been suggested to be bike boulevards.

All are welcome. Hope to see you there!

*Also, mark your calendars for furture Arlington BAC dates

June 3: Regular BAC Meeting – Dockless & ebikes!

June 9: Regional BAC Summit (*Sunday – tentatively 1:30-5:30pm Crystal City*)

July 10: BAC/PAC Meeting (*Wednesday – PAC timeslot*)

Starduster
    Participant

Dasgeh, I won’t be able to be there. I have my Papillon Casual Coffee Ride rolling out at 10:30.

Judd
    Participant

I sadly wasn’t able to make the BAC meeting this month which is a pity. The Columbia Pike ride was great and I don’t have much experience with riding around Lee Highway. What were the major observations and takeaways?

dasgeh
    Participant

@Judd 190522 wrote:

I sadly wasn’t able to make the BAC meeting this month which is a pity. The Columbia Pike ride was great and I don’t have much experience with riding around Lee Highway. What were the major observations and takeaways?

We missed you, but understand. We had a good turn out of mostly new people. I’ll post the letter once it’s done, but here are some spoilers:
    – The parallel routes of 22nd St & 26th St are pretty nice most of the time.
    – They are both more stressful at the crossings of George Mason and Harrison, where Mason and Harrison do not have stop signs, but 22nd/26th do. Mason sees high speeds (in part because it is SO WIDE) and Harrison has bad sightlines & high volume, particularly at 26th.
    – There would need to be signage along the routes to help navigate, and signage of how to get back to Lee Hwy, possibly indicating which streets have lights to cross Lee.
    – Those parallel routes are pretty far from Lee and wouldn’t work to connect 2 stops on Lee — they seem more of a near term solution.

– There are no low stress parallel routes between (approx.) Cameron and Old Lee. The sidewalks along there are also not wide enough or well maintained enough to ride on.
    – (Wakefield & 24th are fine, but Old Dominion is high volume, higher speed, so not low stress, but is necessary to connect to 26th. )

Longer term:
    – East of Kirkwood/Spout Run: A 2-way protected cycletrack on the north side (i.e. taking the rightmost lane of westbound Lee) would ease congestion on the Custis Trail. The transitions on either end (bottom of the S-curve and at Oak) would need to be well designed. This would also provide access to the commercial on the north side of Lee

– Spout Run – Five Points: Need onstreet bike infrastructure to connect to retail.

– Five Points – Cameron: would make sense to route westbound cyclists on Old Dominion & eastbound on Old Lee. Bike facilities on the furthest north side of Old Dominion would also make that sidewalk more comfortable for getting to Hamm MS. Need to rework the Lorcom Lane-Old Dominion split off stretch (lots of collisions now, wouldn’t work with bike infra)

– Cameron – west: protected infra on Lee, but lower priority (especially as you go farther west) because less commercial now and parallel routes are an option. Building when commercial goes in makes sense.

dasgeh
    Participant

Oh, and the gutters on Glebe really suck to ride across.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.