March/April 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions March/April 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bentbike33
    Participant

Ohio Drive is one-way, northwest only, from Haines Point to the Lincoln Memorial with bike-unfriendly barriers at all entrances and lots of Park Police presence. All for the convenience of driving past the cherry blossoms. 😡

consularrider
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up, I’m planning on an early morning loop through there tomorrow

arlcxrider
    Participant

If NPS wants to pedestrianize the whole experience, they should just do that. And maybe run shuttle van services for people with mobility problems.

But this farrago of weird half-measures and seemingly arbitrary closures?? Like three lanes northbound only on Ohio Drive beyond the Tidal Basin inlet. Or the cop who barked at me to get on the sidewalk that was absolutely rammed with people instead of simply riding on the wide-open street. The 15th St PBL was similarly impaired yesterday down near Maine Ave. Cyclists were ordered to get on the packed sidewalk. They should be encouraging people to cycle there, and not be throwing up literal roadblocks.

consularrider
    Participant

The bridge over 4 Mile Run from the 4MRT to the parking lot and dog park in Glen Caryln is now open. Seems only slightly wider than the one that got washed out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29009[/ATTACH]

lordofthemark
    Participant

@arlcxrider 218654 wrote:

If NPS wants to pedestrianize the whole experience, they should just do that. And maybe run shuttle van services for people with mobility problems.

But this farrago of weird half-measures and seemingly arbitrary closures?? Like three lanes northbound only on Ohio Drive beyond the Tidal Basin inlet. Or the cop who barked at me to get on the sidewalk that was absolutely rammed with people instead of simply riding on the wide-open street. The 15th St PBL was similarly impaired yesterday down near Maine Ave. Cyclists were ordered to get on the packed sidewalk. They should be encouraging people to cycle there, and not be throwing up literal roadblocks.

The only time I saw that (PBL closed) was when the POTUS motorcade came through. (the other areas were weird, but intrepid riders were finding their way to impromptu useable pavement)

arlcxrider
    Participant

@lordofthemark 218664 wrote:

The only time I saw that (PBL closed) was when the POTUS motorcade came through. (the other areas were weird, but intrepid riders were finding their way to impromptu useable pavement)

Thanks. I didn’t see a motorcade. Maybe I was just there at a bad time. That transition south across Maine Ave. is more than a little awkward, even under normal bike traffic levels. I think I will find a different way home other than 14th St Bridge until the blossom hysteria abates.

Mangolass
    Participant

Any update on Rock Creek Trail construction? Website said closure through early March 2022 but not seeing any updated info.

viennabiker
    Participant

Yes, official updates are laconic and dated. It is not clear to me when things will all be done. There is a lot of construction that has been and will be done; Washcycle has a good update from a couple weeks ago: https://www.thewashcycle.com/2022/03/trail-segments-open-and-bridge-goes-into-place-as-ddots-rock-creek-park-trail-project-chugs-along.html

Here’s where things stood as of this past week, heading south from the intersection of Broad Branch and Beach Drive:
    1. The trail from Broad Branch south is resurfaced and smooth;
    2. At Piney Branch/Porter Street, the trail that goes under the bridge is repaved and smooth; or you can go on Beach and take a right at Porter and then a left to rejoin the trail;
    3. The Harvard Street entrance to the Zoo is still closed;
    4. The trail around the Zoo Tunnel is still closed (this is the part that annoys me since it has forced all traffic through the tunnel for four years with any reopening postponed until the entire construction is finished)
    5. The new bridge immediately south of the Zoo Tunnel is under construction; it looks like a lot of work has been done; the old sidewalk was closed off and on for construction but now seems open.
    6. South of Calvert Street, the trail is now open for a bit. But it is closed a little bit north of P Street (right where it crosses a bridge to follow the west side of the creek itself). If you travel that far you either have to turn around and go back to Calvert Street or ride in the Parkway until P Street;
    7. South of P Street, it is open.

viennabiker
    Participant

A further update, regarding number 6 below: that section of trail has been closed for archeological work involving DC’s oldest black cemetaries: https://www.popville.com/2022/02/historic-black-cemetery; there is at least one report that the work will be completed and the train reopened this coming week: https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/03/parts-of-the-rock-creek-trail-near-georgetown-will-remain-closed-this-weekend. Again, none of this information comes from the NPS or DC DOT sites which don’t seem to be good at providing updates (unless I’m missing them somehow).

@viennabiker 218751 wrote:

Yes, official updates are laconic and dated. It is not clear to me when things will all be done. There is a lot of construction that has been and will be done; Washcycle has a good update from a couple weeks ago: https://www.thewashcycle.com/2022/03/trail-segments-open-and-bridge-goes-into-place-as-ddots-rock-creek-park-trail-project-chugs-along.html

Here’s where things stood as of this past week, heading south from the intersection of Broad Branch and Beach Drive:
    1. The trail from Broad Branch south is resurfaced and smooth;
    2. At Piney Branch/Porter Street, the trail that goes under the bridge is repaved and smooth; or you can go on Beach and take a right at Porter and then a left to rejoin the trail;
    3. The Harvard Street entrance to the Zoo is still closed;
    4. The trail around the Zoo Tunnel is still closed (this is the part that annoys me since it has forced all traffic through the tunnel for four years with any reopening postponed until the entire construction is finished)
    5. The new bridge immediately south of the Zoo Tunnel is under construction; it looks like a lot of work has been done; the old sidewalk was closed off and on for construction but now seems open.
    6. South of Calvert Street, the trail is now open for a bit. But it is closed a little bit north of P Street (right where it crosses a bridge to follow the west side of the creek itself). If you travel that far you either have to turn around and go back to Calvert Street or ride in the Parkway until P Street;
    7. South of P Street, it is open.

jrenaut
    Participant

I just saw on Twitter that there’s an 8 mile detour around a 4 mile stretch of the W&OD in Ashburn coming April 11-15. They didn’t have more detail – anyone know more?

arlcxrider
    Participant

April 11-15, and possibly also 18-22 (Monday-Friday). Upgrade of a 230 kV transmission line. The closed section is between approximately Claibourne Pkwy. and Cochran Mill.

https://www.novaparks.com/parks/washington-and-old-dominion-railroad-regional-park/updates/beginning-april-11-2022-dominion

https://www.novaparks.com/sites/default/files/2022-03/Ashburn%20to%20Pleasant%20View%20Postcard%20Feb%202022_FINAL-2.pdf

The detour is formidable (shades of the Reston Century route)

https://power-viz.com/W&OD-Trail/

jrenaut
    Participant

Yeesh, glad that’s not my commute, and even gladder it wasn’t a surprise closure the day I did my W&OD out and back.

bentbike33
    Participant

@arlcxrider 218805 wrote:

April 11-15, and possibly also 18-22 (Monday-Friday). Upgrade of a 230 kV transmission line. The closed section is between approximately Claibourne Pkwy. and Cochran Mill.

https://www.novaparks.com/parks/washington-and-old-dominion-railroad-regional-park/updates/beginning-april-11-2022-dominion

https://www.novaparks.com/sites/default/files/2022-03/Ashburn%20to%20Pleasant%20View%20Postcard%20Feb%202022_FINAL-2.pdf

The detour is formidable (shades of the Reston Century route)

https://power-viz.com/W&OD-Trail/

Adventures in Cartopia.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Went to the Arboretum on Sunday, and conditions on the West Virginia Ave. bike lanes are abysmal. Covered in grit, grime, and debris, including abundant broken glass. (Say what you will about plastic bottles, but I’ve never had one shatter and cause a flat.) Took the lane most of the way. DDOT is dropping the ball big time here.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@arlcxrider 218890 wrote:

Went to the Arboretum on Sunday, and conditions on the West Virginia Ave. bike lanes are abysmal. Covered in grit, grime, and debris, including abundant broken glass. (Say what you will about plastic bottles, but I’ve never had one shatter and cause a flat.) Took the lane most of the way. DDOT is dropping the ball big time here.

Not DDOT; DPW is responsible for maintenance/cleaning, so anyone who sees any cleaning needs should submit a 311 ticket through the mode/means of your choice.

The FY 2023 budget includes dedicated resources so that DPW can shift from being reactionary (cleaning upon request) and manual (people out there with push brooms and shovels) to proactive (having a dedicated team and equipment for sweeping bike lanes on a regular cycle).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.