Maine Avenue is Combat

Our Community Forums Commuters Maine Avenue is Combat

Viewing 10 posts - 166 through 175 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    SpaceJockey
    Participant

Here’s a question that I hope has not yet been addressed ad nauseam:
    On the wharf side of Maine Ave there is a clearly marked lane for bikes and one for pedestrians…..Why is it that the bike lane is made of speed-robbing rubber and the pedestrian lane is made of plantar-fasciitis-inducing concrete? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the bikes to have the concrete and the peds to have the rubber?

Understand storefronts likely prefer concrete to shuttle their wares in and out, however, every morning I get cut off by guys pushing trolleys across both lanes from Maine Ave to the storefront, which is not only harder for them to do, it chews up the rubber of the bike lane as well……Just does not make sense.

Judd
    Participant

@SpaceJockey 182353 wrote:

On the wharf side of Maine Ave there is a clearly marked lane for bikes and one for pedestrians…..Why is it that the bike lane is made of speed-robbing rubber and the pedestrian lane is made of plantar-fasciitis-inducing concrete? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the bikes to have the concrete and the peds to have the rubber?

Understand storefronts likely prefer concrete to shuttle their wares in and out, however, every morning I get cut off by guys pushing trolleys across both lanes from Maine Ave to the storefront, which is not only harder for them to do, it chews up the rubber of the bike lane as well……Just does not make sense.

It looks like rubber, but that is permeable asphalt. I’ve found the ride experience to be lumpy. The thermoplastic markings also didn’t last very long.

That’s a good question about why it wasn’t reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursus
    Participant

@SpaceJockey 182353 wrote:

Maybe they wanted to slow cyclists down. OTOH, there are so many obstructions which slow down cyclists even more.

You know how the parking lane and right hand lane is treated like an all-day loading zone for the new buildings at the Wharf? It’s because they fill the off-street loading docks with employee parking. Based on observation today. Ass-hats.

lordofthemark
    Participant

Even if this becomes more rideable I don’t think it will ever be suitable for fast riding.

It WAS getting better, as the construction on storefronts was completed, so the real sidewalk was more useable to peds, and as the increase in dockless mobility thingies made it clearer that the bike lanes were places to expect something other than a pedestrian. Its my impression that the fading of the bike markings on the pavement has set this back.

Emm
    Participant

District Doughnut is now open along Maine Ave. They open at 7, so if you need a coffee/doughnut break from fighting Maine Ave traffic and bike lanes, it’s a pretty good option. They’re open until 10PM so I may end up stopping there after Happy Hour tonight too…

ursus
    Participant

@JanaeBixby 181834 wrote:

Ugh no- they threw some pebbles into the pothole but a pothole with pebbles is still a pothole.

And that pothole has gotten bigger since October when you wrote this.

Zack
    Participant

@ursus 186955 wrote:

And that pothole has gotten bigger since October when you wrote this.

Yeah, I noticed that too. They had some illegal construction last May 21 that left the hole, they dug it with their equipment, and have not bothered to fix it properly. They probably need to rip out the whole stretch to repave it as it is not really designed for vehicles.

ursus
    Participant

They fixed that hole, but a new one appeared last week in the eastbound lane in the area near the UPS store.

ursus
    Participant

@ursus 192669 wrote:

They fixed that hole, but a new one appeared last week in the eastbound lane in the area near the UPS store.

And that new one has expanded with some others near it. has anyone noticed if they have been digging there?

Viewing 10 posts - 166 through 175 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.