July 2019 – Road and Trails Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions July 2019 – Road and Trails Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    sjclaeys
    Participant

Starting this thread because I imagine that a lot of members will have important information to post about what they find after this morning’s deluge.

Edited for update from neighborhood: “Clarification – the pedestrian bridges on the main W&OD trail are ok, some trees block the path just north of the turtle pond, but otherwise good. The bridges off to the side (west side access lots) between 50 and Columbia Pike are completely out – swept away or mangled.”

I live by the two W&OD Bridges on either side of the confluence with Lubber Run. There are several bridges between 50 and Columbia Pike. My neighborhood list serve says “both bridges are out.” I’m at work downtown and can’t investigate, but that would be good to know. They might be talking about some of the miscellaneous pedestrian bridges too. Lubber Run had a bridge swept away behind the amphitheater at Columbus and 2nd St North.

josh
    Participant

I rode the W&OD and Custis from Falls Church through the Ballston Connector around 11am this morning, and everything was OK, just a lot of detritus deposited by high water (e.g. under 66). There were a couple places that still had standing water, but it wasn’t that bad.

Around 9am it wasn’t looking too good, but it had all drained within two hours.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20212[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20213[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20215[/ATTACH]

Overtone
    Participant

I need to get home from Rosslyn to Alexandria (Del Ray neighborhood) this afternoon. Anyone know if the MVT is passable Rosslyn to DCA? Anyone know about 4MRT from MVT to Route 1? I think I might get off the MVT at Crystal City since the water will likely be high at the Potomac end of 4MR for as long as it takes Arlington County to drain :-)

Judd
    Participant

Four Mile Run underpasses are all a mess with debris. Good day to take the bus or your back up street route.

https://twitter.com/elizg23/status/1148253417644707841?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasgeh
    Participant

@Overtone 192003 wrote:

I need to get home from Rosslyn to Alexandria (Del Ray neighborhood) this afternoon. Anyone know if the MVT is passable Rosslyn to DCA? Anyone know about 4MRT from MVT to Route 1? I think I might get off the MVT at Crystal City since the water will likely be high at the Potomac end of 4MR for as long as it takes Arlington County to drain :-)

If you’re looking for a probably-not-too-flooded/affected-by-flood-debris route, I’d try this one. (110 Trail to 27 Trail, around the Pentagon to Fern to Eads).

highline
    Participant

Thanks for the updates on trail conditions. I am riding later today. Would you say the W&OD is covered more by flotsam than jetsam? Or is it the reverse?

Overtone
    Participant

@dasgeh 192005 wrote:

If you’re looking for a probably-not-too-flooded/affected-by-flood-debris route, I’d try this one. (110 Trail to 27 Trail, around the Pentagon to Fern to Eads).

Thank you so much! Never tried that route. Looks like I’ll get to learn something new today. The sun is out, time to head out and try to get home. :)

viennabiker
    Participant

OK, so I rode today from Chevy Chase to Falls Church and back using Rock Creek, Custis, W and OD and back here is what I saw:
    1. Rock Creek trail OK from Broad Branch to Zoo. South of that (ie around P street) it’s usually pretty bad after a hard rain, but I didn’t go that way.
    2. Custis is all clear but lots of debris (I don’t know the difference between flotsam and jetsam)–only real problematic in between the two sisters–if you are going eastbound you’ll have to brake right near the bottom of the first hill.
    3. The connector trail (ie under I66) has gravel and even small rocks covering the trail.
    4. W and OD was fairly good with some areas with a bit of debris.
    5. CCT has a big tree down on it that makes it nearly impossible to pass (I’m stubborn and managed to find a path through but it took me about 5 minutes to squeeze myself and my bike) around mile 9.5. There was a tree down yesterday as well but that’s gone now.

NickBull
    Participant

Anyone have any info on the condition of Rock Creek Trail between Maine Ave and Woodley Park?

Crickey7
    Participant

Commuters on the CCT are advised to stay on the Towpath to Fletcher’s.

CBGanimal
    Participant

Like most already posted…WO&D between Custis and Shirlington is rideable with a bit of debris. But 4mile run along the WO&D is unpassable….

bd142beea8370becc6556350b70f03d3.jpg

c0f5887c6de69f879bde837c79899794.jpg

Under S. George Mason

238819bacd72499b0bfd5c2fb02e2b28.jpg
    1c7bf8be59684a285749de3f6b318238.jpg

Under and around Carlin Springs

CBGanimal
    Participant

5a3b535aa702dfd1a2c4a27f02021769.jpg

The Ballston Mall Parking garage off of Glebe Rd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CBGanimal
    Participant

4fd41b8ba052ae503d51d89519121539.jpgadd9be7b9c604891e32a5f4a856fab9c.jpg110b733b85d8c0e1ca75b827d239a687.jpg

Cars floated into each other and most were inundated with water behind the Carlton and Brittany Condos! I helped one lady remove the belongings out of a totaled car. She was tankful she hadn’t bought the new car yet…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrP
    Participant

Well, the routes through the middle of Arlington are okay. Pentagon City to Ballston via Joyce to Columbia Pike to Washington Blvd Trail (between Towers Park and rt50) to the little trails in Lyon Park to the neighborhood between Pershing and Wilson were all clear, except for minor debris (all flotsam since it is unlikely people jettisoned the material to reduce their weight in the water (to answer the flotsam vs jetsam question too)). On Custis there was debris under George Mason, but very passable.

Anyone know what MVT between Rosslyn and 14th bridge is like? Wondering for morning commute.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.