It’s big. It’s dumb.

Our Community Forums Pictures & Videos It’s big. It’s dumb.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dirt
    Participant

4623618811_c731ce547b_b.jpg
    Buckets in action. I’m riding 2 on the left side and my laptop pannier on the right. As long as the weight is within 20 pounds of balance it works out pretty well. I have some different ones for the front… they’re taller and skinnier.

4622357651_86147099fd_b.jpg
    Beer retrieval right after dinner retrieval.

Joe Chapline
    Participant

That’s a nice rig, almost a cargo bike. Mt. Nittany Wheelworks? I don’t know the shop, but I’m a Penn State man myself. Mt. Nittany was much bigger then; mountains naturally erode over time.

skreaminquadz
    Participant

Holy smokes – that’s perfect! Again, great build and enjoy the Hefeweizen! Thanks for posting the pics.

Dirt
    Participant

@Joe: Mt. Nittany Wheelworks was a shop near Penn State. It was amazing. Super cool shop…. Sponsor of the 2005 Single Speed World Championships. Unfortunately they did not survive the current economic downturn. I purchased a selection of their team kits on eBay last fall and they are some of my most cherished cycling clothes. Very cool stuff.

@Skreaminquadz
    : Basically that build is almost perfect for me. I have a few changes that I need to make in the next few months. I’ve got all the different Xtracycle kits for it. The wheels need an upgrade though. I used XT hubs that I had laying around in the basement. They will not survive the summer. The freehub mechanism won’t handle the weight and torque that it takes to move a bike like this. I’ll likely rebuild the rear wheel with a Hope or White Industries hub. I’ve been collecting parts for a generator light system. The last part I need is the front hub. That is the expensive part, unfortunately. The German made generators are awesome, but are definitely the most expensive part on the bike next to the frame.

It is getting good use. It gets 40+ miles per day Monday through Friday and has made a few long rides on the weekends. The beer, however, hasn’t lasted that long. Gotta go back for more on the way home tonight.

skreaminquadz
    Participant

I think I had a BD siting today. I was heading East on the Custis down into Rosslyn and I think the BD was stopped at a light heading West (on it’s way up the Rosslyn hill) around 5pm. It took me a minute to figure out where I’d seen the BD before. I should have turned around to introduce myself and just head home – I ended up flatting 3 times in the next 5 miles.

consularrider
    Participant

@skreaminquadz 546 wrote:

I think I had a BD siting today. I was heading East on the Custis down into Rosslyn and I think the BD was stopped at a light heading West (on it’s way up the Rosslyn hill) around 5pm. It took me a minute to figure out where I’d seen the BD before. I should have turned around to introduce myself and just head home – I ended up flatting 3 times in the next 5 miles.

We all must have been on the same section about the same time. Saw them heading up from Roosevelt Island just before 5 pm.

Dirt
    Participant

@Skreamin’: Sorry to hear about the flats. I have that effect on people. Sunday morning I added to my cargo for the week and those hills definitely hurt. It is going to take me quite a while before I feel good climbing those.

@Consularrider
    : I believe I saw you wave while you were waiting for someone in the TR parking lot. I think I got a smile out before I rolled by. I was kind of in my own world at the moment. There were weighty issues of work significance occupying the 3% of my brain power not required for safely operating my bicycle. ;)

My afternoon commute time is different every day. I’ve been trying to leave at a reasonable hour, but it doesn’t always work out that way. I often am stomping home after 9 or 10 hour days. That also leads to a less than peppy dance up the hills in Rosslyn and before Glebe road.

Good to see y’all. Introduce yourself next time. Always nice to meet new people.

And since this is a photo thread….

4638860540_c64c948d5b_b.jpg
    Chicks dig guys in gingham. ;)

skreaminquadz
    Participant

@Dirt 548 wrote:

@Skreamin’: Sorry to hear about the flats. I have that effect on people.

Ha – good to know for next time. I definitely WILL introduce myself then book it home before the flats start ;)

Dirt
    Participant

Someone said “hi” as I was rolling west on the W&OD last night around 1730. I was pretty dogged after a 45+ mile slog home on a 75 pound bike and West street hills rapidly approaching. I think I grunted a semi coherent reply. Not my most pleasant greeting evar.

AJsinVA
    Participant

Your commute is 45 miles each way? I thought I had something with 15.2.

Dirt
    Participant

Last night I left work early and picked up some stuff in Anacostia and Oxon Hill. I had a snack in National Harbor. Went to the Credit Union in Alexandria, got coffee in Shitlington, then W&ODed home. 73.5K = about 45.7 miles. 3h20m rolling time. Not bad for a fatboy. Maybe I’m ready for the MS epic weekend after all. Better be. It is less than 3 weeks away.

AJsinVA
    Participant

Impressive especially on the bike you ride. I have classes in the evening so I can’t go off the commute route too much. My longer rides are usually on the weekends. I might shoot for a century on monday jsut for the hell of it…I think I can make it from Fairfax to WV and back. The end of the W&OD was 80 round trip. The way I map it I can go another 10 miles and I will be in WV or very close. I better pack a lunch…

Dirt
    Participant

Sounds like a good ride. I will be in a kayak Saturday and Sunday I think and then I think I’m riding the Blue Ridger on Monday. It’ll be nice to get out on the Cervelo after a few weeks on the Cargo bike.

Dirt
    Participant

This message is more than 10 characters long.
    4688828403_9b528fbef7_b.jpg

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

Dude.

(Dude?

Dude.

Duuude.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.