Here’s a map of all the bike shops in the region:

Our Community Forums General Discussion Here’s a map of all the bike shops in the region:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

http://mvjantzen.com/tools/bikeshops.html

You can even cross reference with Capital Bikeshare stations. Or cupcakes.

jabberwocky
    Participant

Its missing Peformance in Reston, off Sunset Hills.

GuyContinental
    Participant

Cool! I love knowing that there is nearly always a shop nearby on my commute and this added a few that I didn’t know about (Bikes @ Vienna?). I added the link to my phone…

Who’s the POC? It’s missing the EMS at Rt. 28 (which has saved my bacon when I needed a tube since it’s right off the W&OD)

jabberwocky
    Participant

@GuyContinental 29118 wrote:

…added a few that I didn’t know about (Bikes @ Vienna?).

They are a recumbent shop. Well known in that community, but they don’t sell much in the way of traditional bikes.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

Missed a couple…Performance Bike at the at Plaza America off Sunset Hills in Reston, and the Performance Bike in Bailey’s Crossroads by the Best Buy and Trader Joes. Incidentally, the PB in Bailey’s does NOT have bike parking….

I’m not volunteering by bringing this up since my technical skills are limited, but would it be possible to add additional info to the map you posted, like brands carried, outside bike parking, hours, etc? I realize you can find most of the information if you search through the websites and what-not, but it would be handy to have a single page that has all the info. It could even be something BA and WABA could add to their websites that might help generate business for local shops.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@GuyContinental 29118 wrote:

Who’s the POC?

It’s this guy: http://www.mvjantzen.com/blog/

You might not know him, but he’s probably taken your picture if you’ve ever participated in a local bike event. Flickr account here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvjantzen/

In any event, I already passed along your suggestion! He’s also missing the EMS in Clarendon too, Transition Triathlon in Leesburg and Trails End in Purceville.

GuyContinental
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 29122 wrote:

He’s also missing the EMS in Clarendon too, Transition Triathlon in Leesburg and Trails End in Purceville.

EMS in Clarendon isn’t a bike shop (unlike the Ashburn location which at least has a shop with a stand and tools that I’ve never seen manned) but they do have a few tubes, basic supplies and a simple assortment of clothing so I suppose that is useful too.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 29122 wrote:

He’s also missing the EMS in Clarendon too, Transition Triathlon in Leesburg and Trails End in Purceville.

There’s a second shop in Purcellville — Velo Classique. Nice small shop with lots of classic road bikes.

jrenaut
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 29121 wrote:

Incidentally, the PB in Bailey’s does NOT have bike parking….

Probably because no sane people bike in Bailey’s Crossroads.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@jrenaut 29127 wrote:

Not on purpose anyway…some people **ahem** may naively bike down there thinking that it “can’t be that bad” and “it’s 10am on Sunday, there won’t be any traffic!”

consularrider
    Participant

@jrenaut 29127 wrote:

It’s not so bad if you come in from behind on Church St. ;)

krazygl00
    Participant

@jrenaut 29127 wrote:

I bike in Bailey’s Crossroads. However you are still correct.

jrenaut
    Participant

@krazygl00 29156 wrote:

I bike in Bailey’s Crossroads. However you are still correct.

It might be hard to argue otherwise without changing your screen name.

mvs202
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your suggestions – I’ve added them to the Bike Shops and Beyond map. I now have 91 bike shops on the map (phew!). Best way to leave a note is via the accompanying blog post, Updating the Bike Shops Map.

Re suggestion to show brands, parking, & hours: sounds like too much work, and it would grow outdated too easily. I do include links (click on the map icon), so that will have to suffice.

Certifried
    Participant

Today I Learned: there’s a Georgetown Cupcakes 3.2 cycling miles from my apartment.

I. Love. You.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.