"Here’s a Car Driving on a Bike Path in Alexandria"

Our Community Forums Pictures & Videos "Here’s a Car Driving on a Bike Path in Alexandria"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/10/19/heres-a-car-driving-on-a-bike-path-in-alexandria/

Got on at Commonwealth and drove for awhile before deciding to turn around??

Tania
    Participant

I love that Trey chased him.

bobco85
    Participant

This has happened before, usually because Commonwealth Ave ends in a circle that makes it seem like the path can be driven on. Note: there are multiple (but small) signs stating that motorized vehicles are not allowed on the bike path.

I created a Call.Click.Connect request #106891 to report this.

huskerdont
    Participant

I like that under the article with the pic of the car still visible is the phrase “Do You Like Whiskey?”

Trail prolly needs a bollard.:rolleyes:

lordofthemark
    Participant

Standard quibble. That is NOT a bike path. It is a multi use path. Walkers, joggers, roller bladers, etc are free to use it.

This comes up a lot when certain people claim there is so much infra devoted to bikes. They usually point to MUPs and MUTs. While I am a heavy user of MUPs and MUTs, it needs to constantly be borne in mind that they directly serve many folks who never ever ride a bike.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@lordofthemark 147568 wrote:

Standard quibble. That is NOT a bike path. It is a multi use path. Walkers, joggers, roller bladers, etc are free to use it.

This comes up a lot when certain people claim there is so much infra devoted to bikes. They usually point to MUPs and MUTs. While I am a heavy user of MUPs and MUTs, it needs to constantly be borne in mind that they directly serve many folks who never ever ride a bike.

Ha! I audibly said “it’s not a bike path” as soon at the title of the page popped up.

KLizotte
    Participant

I’ve seen the same thing happen along that MUP except the driver exited on to Rte 1. Evidently a cyclist jumping up and down waving her arms is insufficient reason to slow down or stop. Sigh.

ml85
    Participant

There was another car on Four Mile Run in Alexandria tonight just before 6pm. He was going from Mt. Vernon Ave. towards Commonwealth. I informed him cars weren’t allowed, and he responded that authorized vehicles were allowed (he clearly wasn’t an authorized vehicle) and that he was just going to the soccer field (which he had already passed). I told him it was dangerous for a car to be on a trail at night where they’re not allowed to be anyway, and he informed me to kiss my rear end and he sped off. I called 911, since I know from this forum that pictures or video don’t do any good. Hopefully with the tag number they could catch him in the act.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Sounds like boulders will be added on either side of the entrance. Hope that helps!

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 149093 wrote:

Sounds like boulders will be added on either side of the entrance. Hope that helps!

Boulders have been added.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12972[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]12973[/ATTACH]

peterw_diy
    Participant

1) ISTM that boulders by a MUP isn’t ideal. Can you imagine this treatment along the MVT or WOD?
    2) Will the city ever relocate the motor vehicle prohibition sign that they erected in the wrong spot last year?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.