Helmet mirror recommendations

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Helmet mirror recommendations

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

The wife is looking for a helmet mirror. Are they all the same, or are there good and bad ones? Anyone have one they love?

Judd
    Participant

I’ve used the Take A Look mirror. https://www.rei.com/product/752285/bike-peddler-take-a-look-mirror

It can mount on a helmet visor. I found that I knocked it off the helmet too much. It was fine mounted to my glasses. Took a while to figure out adjusting it. I haven’t used it in several years but that’s mostly related to not doing a lot of vehicular cycling anymore.

TLDR: Take A Look is ok. Komorebi’s mirror is probably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

consularrider
    Participant

@Judd 225100 wrote:

I’ve used the Take A Look mirror. https://www.rei.com/product/752285/bike-peddler-take-a-look-mirror

It can mount on a helmet visor. I found that I knocked it off the helmet too much. It was fine mounted to my glasses. Took a while to figure out adjusting it. I haven’t used it in several years but that’s mostly related to not doing a lot of vehicular cycling anymore.

TLDR: Take A Look is ok. Komorebi’s mirror is probably better.

I use the Take-a-Look mirror mounted on my glasses on just about every ride. I have multiple helmets so this is much more convenient. They have a helmet adaptor if you prefer to have it attached there. The draw back for me is that the glasses attachment doesn’t work well with wire or narrow earpiece frames.

accordioneur
    Participant

I recently bought a Third Eye mirror because I’m going to be going on a trip where I won’t be using my own bike (my bikes are equipped with bar-end mirrors). I’ve used it on only one ride so far. The good news is that it stays put – firmly attaches to the glasses and doesn’t bounce around or shift position. The bad news is that I can’t seem to position the darn thing to show what’s behind me. I think the problem might be something related to my cycling posture rather than a flaw in the mirror itself, but so far I’ve found it useful only for checking on the status of my left shoulder during rides.

Judd
    Participant

@accordioneur 225149 wrote:

I recently bought a Third Eye mirror because I’m going to be going on a trip where I won’t be using my own bike (my bikes are equipped with bar-end mirrors). I’ve used it on only one ride so far. The good news is that it stays put – firmly attaches to the glasses and doesn’t bounce around or shift position. The bad news is that I can’t seem to position the darn thing to show what’s behind me. I think the problem might be something related to my cycling posture rather than a flaw in the mirror itself, but so far I’ve found it useful only for checking on the status of my left shoulder during rides.

It took me several rides with the Take A Look to get it adjusted. Good point that riding position has an impact and changing position during a ride also impacts usefulness.

mstone
    Participant

I used the take a look for a few years with mostly positive results. I did manage to knock it off a couple of times. There is a lot of adjustment possible (don’t be afraid to bend it around until it’s right). Being so close to my face meant that focusing on the image took some effort (it wasn’t a constant awareness type thing). Age and vision probably matter for this. When focused on it, the image was sufficient to understand what was behind me. I’ve mostly stopped using it because my riding tends to be in lighter/no traffic and in those conditions the garmin varia is a much lower stress tool. (It just tells me when something’s coming up and I don’t need to constantly check behind.) For heavier traffic the mirror is probably still better as a radar will just tell you that there are a lot of cars all the time. Mirror is probably also better for crowded trails and keeping track of stealth drafters.

Starduster
    Participant

There are mirrors that clip to your eyeglass frames and those that attach to the helmet. I need the mirror. Period. My left eye is the more nearsighted one, which compromises sharpness of peripheral vision in road traffic. After decades of trying everything, on the bike or off, I run the Third Eye eyeglass mirror. I bent the mount slightly (heat in hot water and gently bend) to fit the temples of first my Bolle Parole sunglasses and the current Rudy Project Defenders. It hits the sweet spot of not being “too” large for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30629[/ATTACH]

jrenaut
    Participant

She doesn’t wear glasses except to read, so needs something on the helmet.

consularrider
    Participant

@jrenaut 225156 wrote:

I don’t need vision correcting glasses to cycle, but always have eyewear while riding, either dark or clear lenses

mstone
    Participant

@jrenaut 225156 wrote:

I always attached the take a look to the helmet visor. I do need glasses, so I was never brave enough to attach a mirror to them. (I don’t really care if the mirror goes flying off, but if I screw up the glasses someone’s going to have to come get me.) :)

edit to add: that does mean I never used the mirror on the fast bike with the fast helmet (visors suck when you’re low enough that you can’t see past them)

NoVaNoobGA
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30629[/ATTACH]

Whoops, meant to like this post. Ignore my dislike. Super helpful, thanks.

ChristoB50
    Participant

I wasn’t patient enough, perhaps, in trying to adapt to the helmet / glasses mirror concept, I guess… It never became easily intuitive/mindless enough to check and get the right rear-view each time — I found I had to move my head around a bunch more than I wanted, to move the mirror to get the views I wanted to check (and so, more time my eyes weren’t on the road ahead.) On casual straight-aways, it was easier of course. But in the end, I swapped out for a bar-mount Mirrycle Mirror and quickly grew to love it.
    (It has become so ingrained, that when I’m a pedestrian walking, and want to pass a slower walker, I find myself involuntarily glancing down to where the mirror would be, on my bike, to check the “traffic” behind me before I overtake the pedestrian!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.