Happy BTWD Eve!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

@scott930 52295 wrote:

I’ll keep in on the radar for later this summer. According to my reading, my little girl is still a bit too young for me to take out in the trailer. But she’s getting close to being included on runs and rides.

Thanks! We did a lot of agonizing on when to take our little ones (now 2.5 years and 6 months) on bikes. I found this site to be very helpful. We have a front bike seat, so we waited til 8 months with our daughter and haven’t taken our son out yet. BUT He might make an appearance on Sunday in a car seat in the Bullitt. We’ll see.

lordofthemark
    Participant

shoot! I forgot to take long pants in with me. And looks like tomorrow will be warm enough to make the idea of biking in long pants particularly silly. This will, thus, be my first time in a long time wearing shorts to work.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

I like Bike to Work Week. But I’m not jealous of being a newbie. I’m glad I’m no longer a newbie. I made plenty of dumb rookie mistakes in my first month or two (although it had more to do with my sport training approach than with being a bike commuter). I try to provide tips to new cyclists where I can, including at work. But jealous of being a newbie — nope. Never. I don’t need more bumps and bruises like that.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@lordofthemark 52327 wrote:

shoot! I forgot to take long pants in with me. And looks like tomorrow will be warm enough to make the idea of biking in long pants particularly silly. This will, thus, be my first time in a long time wearing shorts to work.

I find that properly folded work pants keep nicely in a small backpack or messenger bag in the amount of time it takes to ride to work.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 52346 wrote:

I find that properly folded work pants keep nicely in a small backpack or messenger bag in the amount of time it takes to ride to work.

Currently my only choice is a large backpack – I was very much planning on making things as easy as possible tomorrow by riding with no back pack.

jrenaut
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 52346 wrote:

I have a little holder (I’m not sure what to call it) that I put the clothes in and it works pretty well. It’s in my locker downstairs or I’d grab the brand, but I’ll have it with me at happy hour if anyone is curious. I generally bring clothes for a couple days at a time to work in it, inside my backpack. I’m a sloppy folder, and it still does a pretty good job.

BobK
    Participant

I started commuting last October, so this will be my first BTWD, and I am really looking forward to it. I plan to hit the Old Town Alexandria (tee shirt stop), Crystal City and Rosslyn pit stops. I’ve been stopping at the Crystal City stop all week, and will be missing my mid-ride banana and bagel next week!

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

I think it would be cool to have a more limited Bike to Work Day event on a regular basis, in addition to the bigger one this week. Maybe a few key spots in Arlington and D.C. on the first Friday of each month, starting with this week and going into June, July, August and September. Or maybe just June, July and September. (I think most of the casual cyclists stop riding in October and November and pick up again in March or April. Many people are on vacation in August.)

rcannon100
    Participant

I’ve wondered about pitching a tent next to the trail, at some convenient spot – and putting up a big sign that says ASK ME. I see SO MANY cyclists making mistakes. Yesterday I was following a guy who had a back rack for panniers… he had it attached horizontally to his seat post… but he did not have it attached vertically to the stays. This meant his rack’s vertical bars were just bouncing there, precariously near his spokes.

Anyway, have essentially a Two Wheel Tuesday type event… but right there on the trail… where you can answer people’s questions and maybe help them not install things upsidedown. Show people their tires are under-inflated. Show people cadence. Adjust seat heights. Etc.

consularrider
    Participant

@rcannon100 52396 wrote:

… and maybe help them not install things upsidedown …

I still can’t get over the guy riding with his seat/saddle backwards and the nose (now a tail) pointed almost straight up! That and the all too frequent helmet on backwards.

culimerc
    Participant

@consularrider 52398 wrote:

I still can’t get over the guy riding with his seat/saddle backwards and the nose (now a tail) pointed almost straight up! That and the all too frequent helmet on backwards.

I’ve seen that guy!! I didnt know what to make of it other than “hey if it works for you….”

jabberwocky
    Participant

The worst I ever saw on the W&OD was a guy with a department store bike with the fork installed backwards. I’d bet it probably came that way.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

Jan kindly pointed out that I installed my seat clamp backwards :D I should really fix that one of these days.

baiskeli
    Participant

@culimerc 52421 wrote:

I’ve seen that guy!! I didnt know what to make of it other than “hey if it works for you….”

That one is so obvious that it has to be deliberate. I hope.

Maybe it’s really comfortable and the rest of us are the suckers. I’ll have to try it some time.

ebubar
    Participant

@consularrider 52271 wrote:

So which pit stops will you be hitting?

Depends on how the morning goes, but hoping for a quick stop in Silver Spring around Discovery Plaza (around 6:45/7).
    Cruising down GBT and CCT to Bethesda (free TSHIRT time!).
    Continuing along CCT to either the Chain Bridge connection to CCT (see my video!), the connection to the C&O a little further down of, if time permits, all the way down to Key Bridge for another stop at Rosslyn and finally rolling along Custis until getting off around Old Dominion (near Big Wheel Bikes) to cruise to work at Marymount University. Have to arrive by around 8:45 AM so I have time to dress for the day. Thinking i’ll end up having to skip Rosslyn.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.