Group Ride: Arlandria Public Art & Wormhole Fun Ride, 2/18, 9:30 – 1-ish

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Group Ride: Arlandria Public Art & Wormhole Fun Ride, 2/18, 9:30 – 1-ish

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Explore public art in Alexandria and Arlington, as well as several very impressive wormholes, and a bonus stop at the Pentagon 911 Memorial. We’ll also enjoy a coffee stop (~10am) at St Elmo’s in Del Ray. If you’re playing #publicartfinder this is a chance score some points, and perhaps even bonus points! This fun ride will be led by @Boomer_Cycles (originator and longtime sponsor of this game), lover of public art and wormholes, and this year’s #publicartfinder sponsor, @karenbikes2. The route is a mashup of public art rides by @Komorebi for ALX BPAC and @FastFriendlyGuy for Bike Arlington.

Start/End Point: Frank Mann Field next to Cora Kelly School, 3700 Commonwealth Ave, Alexandria, VA 22305.

Time: 9:30 AM – 1-ish PM

RWGPS Route, which includes a detailed itinerary with rough following times depending on the group’s party-no-drop pace: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45542960

There will be numerous chances to bail if you only have time for part of the ride. We’ll pass 4 metro stations, and cross 4-Mole Run and Mt Vernon trails.

Participation is open to all who can ride a bike and is at your own risk so please wear a helmet, use bike lights and obey all road rules/trail etiquette!

Steve O
    Participant

Is there any particular time this ride will begin? And an estimated end time?

(also, feel free to also post on the FS calendar)

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Birchmere St ElmosDraft Itinerary for BAFS2024 w/ rough following times dependent upon the group’s party, no-drop pace. The route is divided and color coded into 6 sectors. Do as much or little as you want. There are multiple points to opt out via Metro or bike trails along the way if you have limited time/interest.

0930 – wheels roll from Frank Mann Field parking 🅿️ lot, S 4 Mile Run Park (off of 4MR trail, near MVT intersection @DCA) to explore sector 1 Del Ray – red route

10:00 – coffee stop @ St Elmo’s.

10:30 – wheels roll from St Elmo’s Cafe to sector 2 Eisenhower East – green route

11:15- wheels roll from King Street Metro Stn to sector 3 Historic Alexandria Old Town – blue route. Opt out at end of loop on second pass by King Street Metro Stn.

12:15 pm – wheels from Founders Park to sector 4 North Alexandria Old Town – magenta route.

1:00 pm – Lunch at Lost Dog Cafe, 808 N Henry St, Alexandria, VA 22314. Opt out at Braddock Road Metro Stn.

1:45 pm – wheels roll from Lost Dog Cafe to sector 5 Potomac Yards, Crystal City, Pentagon Memorial & Pentagon City along yellow route. Opt out at 4MR Trail or one of 4 Metro Stations we will pass along the way.

2:45 pm: wheels roll from Pentagon Row along yellow route to sector 6 Del Ray North. Opt out @ Pentagon City Metro Stn.

3:00 pm: sector 6 Del Ray North along the black route. Opt out at S 4MR Park to skip this sector and return to start point.

3:30 pm: ride ends at Frank Mann Field Parking 🅿️ lot.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

This route is a mash up of public art rides by @Komorebi for ALX BPAC and @FastFriendlyGuy for Bike Arlington plus a few of my own discoveries.

For further info on Alexandria public art see – https://publicartarchive.org/collections/City-of-Alexandria

* For further info on Arlington public art see – https://www.arlingtonva.us/Government/Programs/Public-Art/Public-Art-Collection/Permanent-Collection

@steve-o, I’d love to post this ride to the FS calendar but can’t figure out how to do that. Can you give me some guidance? Thanks

@steve-o someone told me that tomorrow’s public art ride is posted to the FS calendar with a start time of 11am which is incorrect, should be 9:30. I’m not sure what calendar this person is talking about because this is what I see on the FS home page, and there’s nothing at all listed for 2/18:

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

did someone promise wormholes?

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Kudos (and extra points?) to those who participated in this BAFS2024 fun 🤩bike party ride! Acrobat

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.