Good article on why it is harder to bike in cold weather than warm

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Good article on why it is harder to bike in cold weather than warm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    KLizotte
    Participant
    creadinger
    Participant

I definitely notice how what would be a nice gentle breeze in the summer feels like a decent headwind in the colder months. Actual headwinds in the winter are brutal. I’m glad they accounted for the fact that we wear bulkier, less aero clothing in the winter too.

Oh well, it all just toughens us up for the spring, summer, and fall when all the events and fun rides are.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I just tell myself that since I’m out there in part to burn calories anyway, riding in the winter is a bonus, because I burn more of them.

dkel
    Participant

I left for work on Christmas Day at 9:15 am, after getting home the previous night after midnight (wait–that makes it the same day!). It was 20 degrees, and my water bottle froze up on the way in. Knowing about air density and vascular resistance is heartening, but during the freezing ride I found myself focusing on Rule #5 (and the hilarious video associated with it). That helped! Regardless, I felt pretty awesome for having gone for it, and one of my cycling friends there (who drove that day) gave me props.

Keep after it, folks! (Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can.)

Terpfan
    Participant

I really don’t mind the cold that much except for the wind and my toes. So i bought those toe warmers expecting to improve the second issue. Sad, but the “6+ hours of warmness” actually lasts like 35 minutes before it just totally faded. I thought maybe because they were deprived of oxygen, but sitting my desk they’re cool to the touch as they were when I got off the bike. False advertising!

hozn
    Participant

There have been other discussions of this, but is it possible they got wet w/ sweat? I followed Dirt’s advice and taped them above my shoes (between shoe cover and shoe) when I “needed” to do a 6 hour ride last winter. The warmth lasted 4-5 hours which was within parameters (I think they also claimed “up to 6”).

lordofthemark
    Participant

A reason that impacts me (anyone else?) I suffer from something called aerophagia – a tendency to swallow air when exercising vigorously (at first my doc was worried about a heart issue, or asthma, but tests showed it was definitely not the former, no other indications of the latter, and quick relief of the discomfort when I, pardon, burp, confirmed what it is. My gastroenterologist suggested I come in and see him to see if its acid reflux, though my internist doesn’t think there is anything that can be done about the air eating) which impacts my speed generally, but especially my hill climbing. One thing I’ve noticed, is that the symptom and the discomfort is more substantial in cold weather. Which makes uphills particularly difficult for me when the temp is below say, 45.

I wasn’t going to mention this to the group till I had seen the gastroenterologist (haven’t set that up yet) but it seemed on topic to this, so I thought I’d mention it.

sethpo
    Participant

FWIW, someone made an entire movie about riding in the winter:

http://chainringfilms.com/

The trailer looks…interesting I guess. Not sure it’s worth the $ but then again there’s only one way to find out for sure.

Terpfan
    Participant

@hozn 73178 wrote:

There have been other discussions of this, but is it possible they got wet w/ sweat? I followed Dirt’s advice and taped them above my shoes (between shoe cover and shoe) when I “needed” to do a 6 hour ride last winter. The warmth lasted 4-5 hours which was within parameters (I think they also claimed “up to 6”).

Interesting and thank you. The wet part would make sense. I’ll have to get some covers, but will be a very happy camper if that works because I hate cold feet. I solved cold hands by gift from the wife of dirt bike winter glovers and then on rare occassion adding mittens overtop (previously i did my bike gloves with the mittens overtop, but the lattest variation makes it easier to grip and accomplish warmth goals).

I guess we’ll see how all of this holds up tomorrow or next week when the wind chill is supposedly going to be around 0 on Tuesday.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

A heads up on shoe covers – I just bought PI mountain bike shoe covers at REI this morning. Their advice was to try them on with your shoes (I did) and/or and go larger than you think you will need. I found an XL to be about right for my size 41 womens mtn bike shoes.

dbb
    Participant

Any sources for toe covers that will work with size 48 mountain bike shoes? The pair I have (XL) are pretty snug.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 73210 wrote:

A heads up on shoe covers – I just bought PI mountain bike shoe covers at REI this morning. Their advice was to try them on with your shoes (I did) and/or and go larger than you think you will need. I found an XL to be about right for my size 41 womens mtn bike shoes.

Yep. I have the size L covers and size 42 MTB shoes and I expect I’m gonna wind up destroying the covers this winter. :P

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.