RESCHEDULED #goldenspike Ashburn Group Ride, Feb. 18, gravel(ish)

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition RESCHEDULED #goldenspike Ashburn Group Ride, Feb. 18, gravel(ish)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    arlcxrider
    Participant

RESCHEDULED

What: #goldenspike Ashburn group ride

When: Feb 18, 2024, ride start 10 am (Use WMATA’s Trip Planner to arrive by the start time)

Where: in keeping with the #goldenspike theme, start/finish at Metro Ashburn Station. The ride departs from the south side of the station, and finishes at the north side.

Description: a 55-mile loop through Loudoun County, 31% gravel (according to Ride With GPS), with 3200 ft of climb. Most of the gravel sections have ready alternatives on asphalt. Similarly, you can substitute a nice downhill cruise on the W&OD in lieu of the gravel climb and descent on Old Waterford.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41713328

Optional lunch at Carolina Bros in Ashburn. Please bring nutrition and water you might need for a 55-mile ride. There are no provisioning stops en route until Leesburg (mile 44).

Questions/concerns: email me — dcmcrider@gmail.com

Thor
    Participant

Looks like a fun ride! Hope to be there…

Serdar
    Participant

Same here.  I am interested but I need to see what ride my team comes with.

arlcxrider
    Participant

I’ve updated the Ride with GPS file to remove a couple of glitches:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41713328

arlcxrider
    Participant

Forecast is looking a little iffy for Sunday. I don’t mind some sprinkles, but if it’s a persistent rain I will cancel. I will post a no/no go decision here and on the Strava group by 8 am on Sunday. If canceled, it will be re-scheduled.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Rescheduled for Feb. 18. Hope to see you next Sunday.

arlcxrider
    Participant

The ride is ON for tomorrow. See you there, at the South pavilion of Ashburn metro station.

Silver Line trains run on 18-minute headways on Sundays. The trip planner says the 9:00 am train from Ballston arrives at Ashburn at 9:57.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Thanks to Rachel and Peter for joining me on the #goldenspike ride from the Ashburn metro station. Yes, rural riding is Metro-accessible!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.