First Bike to Work Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MRH5028
    Participant

I live only a mile from my office so I normally walk to work. I’m an avid cyclist, but always seemed too close to work to make biking “worth it” (weird I know). I gave it a shot today, being Bike to Work Day and whatnot, and I may end up doing it more often.

I hit the Ballston stop around 7:15, grabbed my shirt and some other swag, and set off for work. There was a decent crowd already, along with a dancing chick-fil-a cow, can’t beat that. Saw plenty of other commuters riding through Clarendon as I was locking my bike up outside my building.

Any other first time Bike to Work Day / Bike Commuters out there?

Lt. Dan
    Participant

Yup, first time commuter this morning, and I’m hooked!!!! My commute was from the gainesville area up to just west of Route 28 in Chantilly. The roads I took consisted of mainly 234, 29, and finally Pleasant Valley Road. I did stop to help two other first timers- The first was dehydrated, and had NO WATER!!! Gave him my free B2WD bottle, that I had filled up with gatorade at the pit-stop; and the second was a nice lady with a flat tire… When I asked where her spare or patch kit were, she had neither :confused: Slapped on a quick patch, aired her up, and she was on her way again!!!

We couldn’t have asked for better weather this morning either!!! Sunny, 60 degrees, and minimal wind!!! Wow what a morning!!!

consularrider
    Participant

Good to have you both out there, and Lt Dan, thanks for helping. :D MRH, soon you’ll be riding the entire Arlington Loop to get to work because it just won’t seem worthwhile getting the bike out for just one mile. I had a similar situation at my last job, I only lived a kilometer from work and walked it every day for four years, except once when I was returning a borrowed bike, and once when I took the car to get it inspected and new license plates.

MRH5028
    Participant

If I do start to ride to work more often I suspect I will take a longer route, if only to avoid the main roads. Also about 10 minutes faster than walking (depending on lights) so I could sleep in for 10 more minutes, and who doesn’t love that?

runnergirl92
    Participant

I biked from Reston to DC this morning (~24 miles). 2.5 hours on the trails…

Great weather, good ride, and now my thighs are screaming WTH!? :)

I might try it again sometime..great work out.

vvill
    Participant

@Lt. Dan 19937 wrote:

Yup, first time commuter this morning, and I’m hooked!!!! My commute was from the gainesville area up to just west of Route 28 in Chantilly. The roads I took consisted of mainly 234, 29, and finally Pleasant Valley Road. I did stop to help two other first timers- The first was dehydrated, and had NO WATER!!! Gave him my free B2WD bottle, that I had filled up with gatorade at the pit-stop; and the second was a nice lady with a flat tire… When I asked where her spare or patch kit were, she had neither :confused: Slapped on a quick patch, aired her up, and she was on her way again!!!

We couldn’t have asked for better weather this morning either!!! Sunny, 60 degrees, and minimal wind!!! Wow what a morning!!!

Nice! My first proper commute to work (in the DC area) was as part of a bike to work day convoy a few years ago.

Before then I considered it too dangerous/tiring/long to ride (and I was on a heavy MTB with knobbies).

KelOnWheels
    Participant

ZOMG THAT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!

It was my first time commuting by bike – in fact pretty much my first time back on a bike at ALL in three years (except for last week’s class).

I did 11.8 miles – stopped at Crystal City, Reagan Building, and Mount Vernon. SO MUCH FUN.

Got a water bottle and a patch kit and some bananas and my t-shirt. Was tempted by the vuvuzuela but wasnt sure where I was going to stash it.

I think I may have been the slowest thing out on the trails but at least I was OUT THERE!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1073[/ATTACH]

Things I learned/rediscovered:
    I was sitting WAY too far back on my saddle last week.
    Unclipping on the side you are leaning toward is helpful at stop lights.
    I need to fix/replace my bike computer because my cadence was bouncing between eleven billionty and zero.
    The front strap holder thingy on my messenger bag snagged my shirt all up :(
    I want panniers.
    BIKING IS CRAZY FUN AND I WANT TO DO IT ALL THE TIME!

Then I got to work and found out I have to work in Fairfax all next week. 😡 I was all psyched to ride to work next week!

MRH5028
    Participant

I get the feeling I should have hit more rest stops. If only I didn’t have to be at work early today.

jrenaut
    Participant

@MRH5028 19972 wrote:

I get the feeling I should have hit more rest stops. If only I didn’t have to be at work early today.

The work part is definitely the worst part of Bike to Work Day.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

We need to have a Bike to Bike Week. Or Month.

KelOnWheels
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 19982 wrote:

We need to have a Bike to Bike Week. Or Month.

Yeah, if there were pit stops with coffee and snacks every morning, EVERYONE would bike to work.

Then in the evenings we could have little sandwiches and cocktails… :D

Greenbelt
    Participant

@kelinva 19986 wrote:

Yeah, if there were pit stops with coffee and snacks every morning, EVERYONE would bike to work.

Then in the evenings we could have little sandwiches and cocktails… :D

It’s not a crazy idea — would be a small price for a very large social benefit (better health, less pollution and traffic congestion, less CO2 and climate problems, more happiness)!

Veik
    Participant

Those food trucks could work the pit stops.
    They are not doing anything until lunch time anyways :)

KLizotte
    Participant

@Greenbelt 19988 wrote:

It’s not a crazy idea — would be a small price for a very large social benefit (better health, less pollution and traffic congestion, less CO2 and climate problems, more happiness)!

Could be like a reverse tax. The govt provides funding for free goodies (and roadside bike repairs) since this is cheaper to the govt/taxpayer overall in terms of getting people out of their cars (and even metro).

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

And of course there is Bike to Run Day in September. (Otherwise known as the Nation’s Triathlon, i.e., the sole surviving open water triathlon in D.C.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.