Feb 2023 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Feb 2023 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    arlcxrider
    Participant

Dalecarlia and River Rd. bridges snow-covered on the CCT this morning (Feb. 1). Not much of a concern–and sun today should take care of it.

Steve O
    Participant

Big thanks to the Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail.
    Evidently they were out recently smoothing the heaves on the VA-side connector between the MVT and the Roosevelt Bridge.

That usual teeth-chattering, butt-bouncing, lose-something-out-of-your-pannier descent from the bridge, although not quite what one might call “buttery smooth,” is 1000 times better.

Thanks FoMVT!!!!

Starduster
    Participant

@Steve O 223643 wrote:

Evidently they were out recently smoothing the heaves on the VA-side connector between the MVT and the Roosevelt Bridge.

That usual teeth-chattering, butt-bouncing, lose-something-out-of-your-pannier descent from the bridge, although not quite what one might call “buttery smooth,” is 1000 times better.

Thanks FoMVT!!!!

Judd & co. were busy on this very section last weekend. :D

Starduster
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30033[/ATTACH]
    An update, from Judd and Friends of The Mount Vernon Trail, on this construction project: https://mailchi.mp/b3ebc401141b/water-park-seismograph-and-upcoming-events-15797008?e=80ec2110dc

Judd
    Participant

It could definitely use a re-pave. We at least got it to “didn’t get launched to the moon” condition. When the weather warms up will put some patch down on the spots where the bump removal caused shallow potholes. We’ll also try to get the 4 or 5 exposed roots cut out and patched. They take 1-2 hours a piece and I’m focused on grinding as many bumps as possible while the weather is cold.

@Steve O 223643 wrote:

Thanks FoMVT!!!!

huskerdont
    Participant

First ride through there last night. Amazing the difference, although strange to not have to pick a MTB line on skinny 25s. Thank you!

Judd
    Participant

Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail removed all the trail bumps between Jones Point and Belle Haven Park yesterday. Volunteers also edged the trail on the curve outside of Porto Veccio, uncovering ~2 feet of trail in some spots.

The amount of improvement on the trail depends on how many people show up to help. We’ll be removing bumps and rescuing some trees from invasive plants near Daingerfield Island the next two Saturdays. We’ll be at Gravelly Point removing bumps and invasive honeysuckle that’s growing into trail on the 25th. Events are posted at mountvernontrail.org/events

Trail bumps have now been removed at the ramp to TR Bridge and from the Alexandria power plant all the way to Belle View Boulevard. Bumps have been partially removed between the Daingerfield S-Curve and the power plant bridge. If you want to help us with the additional storage, fuel, transportation and insurance expenses of the bump grinding work, you can donate at paypal.me/mountvernontrail

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30106[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30107[/ATTACH]

Starduster
    Participant

Another update on Dominion Energy’s construction detour at S. Eads St. and the Four Mile Run Trail. My image from last week is below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30169[/ATTACH]

As you see, Dominion’s fence took only half of the pavement area beyond, but nearly *all* the driveway ramp. What is left is narrow and on drivers left as you approach southbound. Since we are all trained to bear right when approaching oncoming traffic…you see the “unramped” unprotected curb, just begging to be hit. Now imagine this at night, without parked construction vehicles taking up the right side, and you cannot easily see the blunt curb. I just got a report that an evening commuter (someone I know) hit that unawares, and has a destroyed wheel to show for it.

Arlington County has a tool to report roadway and trail hazards. I have reported this. If you think this is an unacceptable hazard for us, please report it too. https://arlingtonva.qscend.com/311/request/add

Starduster
    Participant

Good afternoon. Today’s construction detour updates, in three parts because of upload limitations. You are free to use all these images across two projects, to lobby the powers that be. Even though these are “temporary” detours, that does not mean we should “settle” for *substandard and unsafe*. Here we go:

Following up on the Dominion Energy substation project at S. Eads & Four Mile Run Trail, a non-destructive demonstration of the hazard mentioned on the last post:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30194[/ATTACH]

I *can* report some good news on the Pentagon Trail. Look at the pavement cuts- repair work has started.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30195[/ATTACH]

Continuing…

Starduster
    Participant

And now, up the hill we go on the Columbia Pike-ANC detour. Once again, you are free to use these images to demonstrate the need for major improvements on this detour. Please. This is a federal project, so Arlington County has little say about it. One website- https://highways.dot.gov/federal-lands/projects/va/st-anc-1

The intersection of S. Joyce and the Pike. Almost no choice but to walk. Regrettably, this will remain until this section of roadway is removed.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30196[/ATTACH]

Up we go, using the dedicated route.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30197[/ATTACH]

To the first indignity. How many ways can you find to crash on a curb and/or way too narrow ramp?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30198[/ATTACH]
    May I say that THIS SHOULD NOT BE?

When I last rode through here, I was able to ride the cemetery side of Southgate. No longer. We must use the sidewalk. A sidewalk blocked by “road furniture”-signage- all the way up (or down). The pedestrian up the hill ahead of me apparently said, “to hell with this” and is walking on the ANC side of the median.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30199[/ATTACH]

This gentleman took the lane. Pavement in the right lane is sound enough to take the lane downhill at speed. And if you can do a fast out-of-saddle climb the other way? Go for it. It just *might* be safer.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30200[/ATTACH]

But wait, there’s more.

Starduster
    Participant

For your information, the new entrance to the Air Force Memorial. The sidewalks suggest a degree of permanence.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30201[/ATTACH]

Approaching the section of Southgate that will remain after all this is over. More road furniture to provide entertainment value.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30203[/ATTACH]

And for good measure, we add injury to insult:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30204[/ATTACH]

This is what the entry to this detour looks like from the Henderson Hall Gate. I am not bothering with the sidewalk here. You?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]30205[/ATTACH]

Once again, *please* use these images to petition the powers that be. Merci.

mstone
    Participant

just because you’re required to do something doesn’t mean you have to do more than pretend that you’ve done it

Starduster
    Participant

Update on S. Eads & Four Mile Run- Petitioning your government for redress of grievances…works. A positive response from Arlington County:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30301[/ATTACH]

Steve O
    Participant

@Starduster 224239 wrote:

Update on S. Eads & Four Mile Run- Petitioning your government for redress of grievances…works. A positive response from Arlington County:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30301[/ATTACH]

In addition to some sort of visual way to warn riders, a better solution would be to create an actual ramp, making the entire width of that section usable and eliminating the pinchpoint/head-on conflict.

Starduster
    Participant

@Steve O 224250 wrote:

In addition to some sort of visual way to warn riders, a better solution would be to create an actual ramp, making the entire width of that section usable and eliminating the pinchpoint/head-on conflict.

Steve O: Very true. I did not think about that until well after I submitted the request. I hope one of my pictures suggested it for me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]30308[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.