#Deflated Pointless Prize

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    LuisFilipe
    Participant

I will sponsored this Pointless Prize this year again.

Why? Because don’t hate, inflate!

Also I believe the # work by our dear TeckWizards should still be functioning and why give let the hard coding deflate way.

I also recognize, from my recollection from last years winners, Boomer for the most deflations inflation, and der Bierpuncheur for the multi-deflation on the same day (I think he made a home shank and went ham on his tires, but that’s for him and his bike to resolve ;)

Don’t be deflated this prize is for you!

You got a set of those fancy tubeless tires w megashark sealant that can ride through shards? Not for you

You are a Brooklynite hipster on a dandy horse…. good for you you dandy you. Not for you

You like the sound of steel on pavement? You a bad ass but this ain’t for you!

Pointless prize is easy, you get a flat hashtag the ride #Deflated, the person with the most flats wins! Well loses.

Standard FS legal jargon applies.

You get it.

Ride on.

Filipe

Dachs6
    Participant

This is one prize I wish to not compete for…and based on odds, the 4 deflations- punctures (proper pronunciation: puncher) and cuts- I suffered in one week a few weeks back should solidly put me right of the running.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

I anxiously look forward to NOT defending my crown [emoji146] as I’m going tubeless for FS2021!65f6560928d460f917739602cfd19f58.jpg

Sent from Boomer_Cycles via my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuisFilipe
    Participant

Ohh look at you two winners, I mean losers… wait winners.

The competition is going to be positively piercing.

And for your viewing pleasure:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21896[/ATTACH]

Jan Johnson
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29914[/ATTACH]. Got a flat on an overpass close to sunset and called for a rescue.

Bruno Moore
    Participant

Given the cause of deflations…shouldn’t this be a pointy prize?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

I am officially withdrawing from this contest. After three deflations in the past year (including one during Freezing Saddles), I just bought tire inserts. If I manage to deflate yet again, I figure I should get honorable mention for most extreme unsuccessful efforts to avoid deflation.

Steve O
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 223519 wrote:

I am officially withdrawing from this contest. After three deflations in the past year (including one during Freezing Saddles), I just bought tire inserts. If I manage to deflate yet again, I figure I should get honorable mention for most extreme unsuccessful efforts to avoid deflation.

Three flats in a year seems about normal to me, particularly riding in urban areas.

Kbikeva
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 223519 wrote:

Carol, when I was in El Paso last September, I had 11 flats in 2 weeks — WITH tire liners and gatorskins. The goathead thorns are evil and ubiquitous. I finally got the kind of tubes for there that have sealant (but not tubeless). So far … so good. The last day I was riding there in November, I finished my ride and was putting things away. The tires were firm but I heard a little hissing. (Snakes are a thing there so I paid attention). There was a tiny bubble of slime on one of my tires. I put my finger on it for a few minutes and voila – good seal. But it reminded me that even with good tires, liners, and slime, I need to always carry backup when I’m there! Yikes!

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@Steve O 223528 wrote:

Three flats in a year seems about normal to me, particularly riding in urban areas.

I typically went years between flats on my regular bike. They are tougher to deal with on an e-bike, particularly the rear tire. And in two of the three cases, the tire as well as the tube needed replacing, so even carrying a tube and being willing to figure out how to disassemble the rear wheel on an e-bike in the middle of the night (which is when I ride) wouldn’t have helped. I just got tired (so to speak) of getting stranded.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Steve O
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 223549 wrote:

I typically went years between flats on my regular bike. They are tougher to deal with on an e-bike, particularly the rear tire. And in two of the three cases, the tire as well as the tube needed replacing, so even carrying a tube and being willing to figure out how to disassemble the rear wheel on an e-bike in the middle of the night (which is when I ride) wouldn’t have helped. I just got tired (so to speak) of getting stranded.

It doesn’t help if the tire is also compromised, but it is possible (and actually not that hard) to patch a tube without removing the wheel from the bike. Excellent to know for bikes without quick releases.

bikingjenn
    Participant

Is this really a PP? I #deflated on 1/26/23 commute but got a Lyft from Keith who had a bike rack–should have taken a picture. I have quite the hole in my relatively new tire from a piece of sharp road grit. Probably going to have to replace the tire. Losing at least 20lbs pressure every night.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@Steve O 223712 wrote:

It doesn’t help if the tire is also compromised, but it is possible (and actually not that hard) to patch a tube without removing the tire from the bike. Excellent to know for bikes without quick releases.

I could probably do this on those occasions when I don’t lose the whole tire and when the leak isn’t so close to a valve that it can’t be patched. But even then, it seems to me that this choice involves:

• Miss appointments because of the time it takes to fix a flat.
    • Freeze my hands while having to take my gloves off and do all this in the cold and dark.
    • Go around with patched tubes, which are never as durable as unpatched ones.

If my other choice is “never get a flat,” I’ll go for that choice.

Yeah, I’m a wuss.

ceustis
    Participant

This #Deflated PP overlaps with my sponsored #Roasted PP. If you kept any of your #deflated tubes, tires etc, and patched/repaired them, please let me know before the closing HH. A repaired part is worth double points. Prize will be a pair of tubes in your favored size, delivered at the closing HH.

Boomer Cycles
    Participant

Almost #deflated but then the sealant did its thing,  I finished my ride and topped it up with air when I got home. Several weeks later, still rolling. Shucks, it sucks losing this PP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.