Dec 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Dec 2022 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Starting the Monthly Thread.

Sunny and clear, but chilly, today.

Watch for frozen leaves.

Henry

Starduster
    Participant

This alert is documented with images from November, but still…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29164[/ATTACH]

This is the older section of the Doctors Run connector, which starts at S. 12th St & S. Quincy, and joins up with the newer illuminated section (connected to Randolph Elementary School) and on down to S. George Mason Dr. Pavement here has become severely broken up, and flaking away on the outside in spots, enough so that if I were still leading rides, I could no longer send my group through here with any feeling of safety.

This stretch *is* a part of the 12th St. Bike Boulevard. Who do we petition to get it repaired?

Steve O
    Participant

I am pleased to report that the dangerous, forest-green, steel bollard on the bridge over the NW Branch of the Anacostia, just south of the turnoff to Maryland Meadworks has been removed.

Old – from Google trail view
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29165[/ATTACH]

New – no bollard
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29166[/ATTACH]

consularrider
    Participant

@Steve O 220790 wrote:

I am pleased to report that the dangerous, forest-green, steel bollard on the bridge over the NW Branch of the Anacostia, just south of the turnoff to Maryland Meadworks has been removed.

Old – from Google trail view
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29165[/ATTACH]

New – no bollard
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29166[/ATTACH]

This one’s for Steve O – They couldn’t be bothered to relocate this single utility pole on a brand new extension of the Jackson Creek Trail in Bloomington, IN. Those traffic cones make all the difference. :rolleyes:[ATTACH=CONFIG]29167[/ATTACH]

Henry
    Keymaster

Anyone see any closures on the 110 Trail? We got this post on Twitter but have been able to lay eyes on it.

“It looks like some underground cable installation might be about to happen along the 110 Trail. Will trail access be affected?”

Also checking with County sources.

Henry

arlcxrider
    Participant

@Henry 220917 wrote:

Anyone see any closures on the 110 Trail? We got this post on Twitter but have been able to lay eyes on it.

“It looks like some underground cable installation might be about to happen along the 110 Trail. Will trail access be affected?”

Also checking with County sources.

Henry

Nope, open this morning. But a plethora of orange construction fencing in the area.

Is this a county trail, btw? If so, it could do with a repaving, and the center stripe is very faint.

arlcxrider
    Participant

Construction fencing is gone. I suspect it had something to do with “Wreaths Across America,” to keep people from parking willy-nilly along 110.

Henry
    Keymaster

Yep, that’d be my guess. They had it up on the other side, too, over by the Pentagon.

KaMi
    Participant

Didn’t ride today because of the possible freeze this afternoon but just saw this: https://wtop.com/dc/2022/12/beer-truck-hops-over-jersey-wall-on-14th-street-bridge/

Re-route from DC to VA would have sucked this morning if I was riding!

bentbike33
    Participant

@KaMi 221058 wrote:

Didn’t ride today because of the possible freeze this afternoon but just saw this: https://wtop.com/dc/2022/12/beer-truck-hops-over-jersey-wall-on-14th-street-bridge/

Re-route from DC to VA would have sucked this morning if I was riding!

What a mess. I wonder how long the bike/ped lane will be out of commission?

bentbike33
    Participant

Watch out riding the W&OD, especially westbound, at Idylwood Park. There is ice covering the trail on the curve at the bottom of the hill.

Steve O
    Participant

@bentbike33 221059 wrote:

What a mess. I wonder how long the bike/ped lane will be out of commission?

It was back in commission by about 2PM on Friday (or earlier). That’s when I rode by the site. They are using temporary chain-link fence as the barrier between the sidepath and the highway traffic.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@Steve O 221076 wrote:

It was back in commission by about 2PM on Friday (or earlier). That’s when I rode by the site. They are using temporary chain-link fence as the barrier between the sidepath and the highway traffic.

They also added some chain link fencing on the river side where the railing took a bit of a hit and was a bit dented.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29172[/ATTACH]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.