Cyclist killed on New Jersey Ave NW (Truxton Circle, DC), 12/19/23

Our Community Forums Crashes, Close Calls and Incidents Cyclist killed on New Jersey Ave NW (Truxton Circle, DC), 12/19/23

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    elbows
    Participant

Map

From the MPD release:

https://mpdc.dc.gov/release/bicyclist-dies-after-being-struck-vehicle

“Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Investigations Unit are investigating the death of a man who was struck by a vehicle while he was riding his bicycle on Tuesday, December 19, 2023.

The preliminary investigation revealed that at approximately 9:47 p.m., a male bicyclist was travelling northbound in the northbound lanes of 1200 New Jersey Avenue, Northwest. At that time, a four-door black sedan was traveling at a high rate of speed southbound on New Jersey Avenue, Northwest, and crossed over into the northbound lanes to begin turning left onto Morgan Street, Northwest. When the sedan crossed into the southbound lanes, it struck the bicyclist and fled the scene. The bicyclist was transported to a local hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries.

On Thursday, December 28, 2023, the bicyclist succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.

The decedent has been identified as 33-year-old Peter Black of Northwest, D.C.”

Smitty2k1
    Participant

This is awful. At first when I saw the address I thought it was 1200 New Jersey SE, which is the DOT headquarters building that just had new protected bike lanes installed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

LhasaCM
    Participant

@Smitty2k1 227315 wrote:

This is awful. At first when I saw the address I thought it was 1200 New Jersey SE, which is the DOT headquarters building that just had new protected bike lanes installed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

No – this is the block where DDOT opted not to protect the bike lane to preserve a handful of parking spaces. It’s also a block where they opted against installing a median, allowing drivers to take the turn onto Morgan at a high speed by cutting the corner like it’s a race track.

Not saying any of that is involved…just sayin’…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.