Crossing Lynn Street and Lee Highway: How Can We Make It Safer for Cyclists and Peds?

Our Community Forums Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee Crossing Lynn Street and Lee Highway: How Can We Make It Safer for Cyclists and Peds?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    elcee
    Participant

I had the “pleasure” of experiencing the Lee Hwy/Lynn intersection as a driver, coming off Rt 110/I-66. Given the number of cars that are trying to turn right onto northbound Lynn, I don’t know why the lights just aren’t configured so that either cars move, or bikes & pedestrians move … but not all at the same time. It seems to me that there should be a right-turn light cycle from Lee to Lynn.

Drivers coming up to that intersection from Lee can’t see the pedestrian and bike traffic if they’re three or four cars back. The front cars are stopped for the crosswalk traffic, but those in the rear get impatient and start blowing horns … then blast through the intersection when there’s finally some movement.

elcee
    Participant

Apparently the “no right turn on red” option has been studied, and would cause too many backups on I-66.

http://www.engagearlington.com/archive/2011/10/06/the-rosslyn-meeting.aspx

mstone
    Participant

@elcee 9116 wrote:

Apparently the “no right turn on red” option has been studied, and would cause too many backups on I-66.

Because, of course, maintaining 66’s current well-known reputation for clear, fast-moving traffic is more important than pedestrian safety. It is obvious that prohibiting people from turning into pedestrians would cause 66 to back up during rush hour. :rolleyes:

theakston
    Participant

Crossing light was out last night too!! so be very careful here. Last night heading West I noticed that the walk sign light was blown – so good luck getting cars to yield to you – it only came on as “the hand”. Of course if you are heading East you probably still have a walk light but not one that the traffic can see! so be very careful heading that way!!!

eminva
    Participant

@theakston 9127 wrote:

Of course if you are heading East you probably still have a walk light but not one that the traffic can see! so be very careful heading that way!!!

Maybe that explains why, when I was coming in this morning, having dutifully waited through the light cycle, when I got the protected walk signal a cab came flying around the corner right into my path. Of course, being a cab driver, he should have known what he was expected to do regardless of whether the signal was working, but oh well.

Liz

vvill
    Participant

Yeah it seems to be have been out for quite a few days if you’re going north/west. Watch out!

americancyclo
    Participant

Maybe I was oblivious.

vvill
    Participant

It still seemed out when I was going west crossing Lynn St yesterday. East is fine.

WillStewart
    Participant

@elcee 9116 wrote:

http://www.engagearlington.com/archive/2011/10/06/the-rosslyn-meeting.aspx

No reason not to have that sign with the common qualifier with an added twist “When pedestrians and cyclists are present”.

vvill
    Participant

@vvill 9563 wrote:

It still seemed out when I was going west crossing Lynn St yesterday. East is fine.

It was working yesterday westbound. Hooray! But ironically, a van and then two cars decided to blow right in front of me, even when I was waving and pointing at the green pedestrian light, and there was a runner on my right also wanting to cross. As I finally passed through, a cyclist coming the other way got beeped at.

dasgeh
    Participant

In case you haven’t heard, VDOT is doing a survey of people who commute inside the Beltway in the “I66 Corridor”. It’s a bit long, but they’re sending out $5 Starbucks gift cards. The first questions are car-centric, but they eventually get around to asking about bikes…

http://www.logicdepot.com/surveys/run/start.cfm?skey=5FFJZ-P3YST

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.