Clean up of Lee Hwy sidewalk/Custis trail exit before the Lyon Vlg switchback going W

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Clean up of Lee Hwy sidewalk/Custis trail exit before the Lyon Vlg switchback going W

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Unregistered

I was just wondering if anyone has an update on the cleanup of the sand, earth encroachment, and vegetation blocking cyclists’ path and view when they exit the Custis trail onto the sidewalk along Lee Highway between the bottom of the Lyon Village switchback – up to the end of the retaining wall on the other side of 66 (at Reinhardt’s Garage)?

This may not solve all the switchback problems, but it would be very helpful; and it should take a fairly minor effort by Arlington’s professional road crews – it’s mostly just a cleanup job – removing sand/dirt and trash from the sidewalk, cutting some vegetation, and a little earth removal to uncover the full width of the sidewalk

Thanks to whoever is reading who can help with this!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Great idea! I’ll send this request over to the Trail Maintenance department now, and in the future anyone can send requests to: trails@arlington.va.us.

Unregistered

I am impressed with the quick response. An update on progress on this cleanup, when available, would be much appreciated!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Glad to help out! Here is the response I received from Kevin Stalica, the Park Service Area Manager and Trails Manager:

“Thanks for the inquiry. There are many areas with remaining piles of snow that are creating issues on sidewalks and some intersections. We will look into this specific issue tomorrow (Wednesday)”

Unregistered

Going up Lee Hwy from Cherrydale, almost to Lorcom Lane there is a significant blockage that’s bad for both pedestrians and the cyclists who share the walk with them.

Unregistered

That stretch is actually part of Old Dominion, it just totally functions like Lee Highway. Thanks, I’m sure I’ll register soon.

Graceld99
    Participant

The condition of the sidewalk and sidewalk cutaway on Lee Highway leading up to and from the Custis Tail at the bottom of the Lyon Village S–curve is STILL hazardous to cyclists and needs immediate attention. This includes the sidewalk on the north side of Lee Highway extending from the corner of the parking lot where the CVS/Giant Food/Italian Store is – continuing under Rte. 66 and up to Reinhart’s Garage. I have been calling and emailing the county for two years about this condition, and now it has gotten intolerable and unquestionably unsafe. The sidewalk and cutaway is filled with silt, sand, rocks, weeds, and rotting leaves. The earth has encroached on the sidewalk, narrowing its passable space. And the vegetation on the narrow ground between the Custis bike path and the sidewalk has grown so that it blocks the sightline of cyclists and pedestrians approaching that sidewalk/bike path intersection. This is simply a cleanup project – not an infrastructure project. The only other request I have is that when the cleanup occurs, that the debris be hauled away – that the workers do not do what I saw them do further up Lee Highway – that is to just shovel the debris back up onto the hillside above the sidewalk – it’s just going to wash back down on it.

I have been told that this may be a VDOT problem since it involves the sidewalk on Lee Highway and that is the state’s responsibility. If true – it would be great for someone with responsibility for cycling issues in Arlington County at least help us keep after the state to get this taken care of. This is a frequently used access point to and from the trail – just look at all the tire tracks in the sand at that location. Thanks so much to whomever can get this job done!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

I emailed our Bike/Ped infrastructure team about this issue and I got a quick reply back:

“We’ll direct it to both our Water Sewer Streets and to VDOT. It might be easier (and faster) to have our people do it even if it is the state’s responsibility.”

I’ll keep you in the loop if I hear more!

Steve O
    Participant

Just checking in to see if anything has happened on this.

Graceld99
    Participant

@Steve O 499 wrote:

Just checking in to see if anything has happened on this.

Yes, the majority of the debris was removed. I saw VDOT people working on it. But I wouldn’t call it clean as a whistle. Unless you saw it before, you would not know by looking at it that had received much attention. But it is mostly passable now. Seems like a location that doesn’t get frequent attention – just the biennial sweep up. it would benefit from some additional design and drain attention.

Thanks to all who helped get this addressed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Clean up of Lee Hwy sidewalk/Custis trail exit before the Lyon Vlg switchback going W’ is closed to new replies.