Cheap pants for winter biking

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Cheap pants for winter biking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

I’m looking for something inexpensive but suitable for biking in (Crazy, I know). For a while I wore Betabrand bike jeans all winter but then they stopped making mens pants, and I got tired of wearing through $100 pants. I don’t need padding. I need pockets. Thin is ok, I often wear thermal tights underneath. I don’t want to have to cuff the bottom.

Anyone have anything the love that holds up pretty well but isn’t crazy expensive?

Serdar
    Participant

@jrenaut 226787 wrote:

I’m looking for something inexpensive but suitable for biking in (Crazy, I know). For a while I wore Betabrand bike jeans all winter but then they stopped making mens pants, and I got tired of wearing through $100 pants. I don’t need padding. I need pockets. Thin is ok, I often wear thermal tights underneath. I don’t want to have to cuff the bottom.

Anyone have anything the love that holds up pretty well but isn’t crazy expensive?

These Sahara Path Pants from REI seem to be what you describe. They are thin, inexpensive, and they have pockets. I have never worn them for winter biking but they kept me dry during summer rains.

Judd
    Participant

Not cheap, but I love Swrve jeans. They’re designed for cycling so they have a bit of stretch and also some reinforcement. I bike in them throughout winter and haven’t had worn them out in 3 years. Typically run $125 but also frequently are discounted or go on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrenaut
    Participant

I have a pair of Swrve jeans. They are ok but not as good as the Betabrands were or as the DU/ER jeans I have, which are fantastic but haven’t held up well at all.

I’ll look at the REI pants – I’m just worried about cuffing them.

Steve O
    Participant

I have these pants from outlier, and they are really good. They look nicer than jeans, so can be worn right into the wedding or whatev. They are discontinued, but maybe Outlier has a newer model. Not at all cheap, though.
    https://archive-m2.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/4season-og-pant.html

Sunyata
    Participant

I have several pants from Duluth Trading Co that I have worn for biking. They have LOTS of pockets, durable enough for mountain biking, look decent off the bike, and are not stupid expensive.

These are my favs.

Men’s version.

Smitty2k1
    Participant

I love the REI hybrid biking pants. Good fit around the ankles, not too tight so you can layer, windproof front and breathable rear. Often on sale.

I also regularly check Sierra.com, SteepAndCheap/Backcountry, and REI for sale/clearance as they regularly have stuff 50% off. Pear Izumi’s website usually has a huge clearance section too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drevil
    Participant

These Wrangler pants from Target. Ain’t as good as my fancy pants, but have lasted me a couple of years, and are unbeatable for the price ($30 retail, but I picked up a couple pairs for $20 on sale a couple of years ago!)

https://www.target.com/p/wrangler-men-39-s-atg-slim-fit-taper-synthetic-trail-jogger-pants-caviar-36×30/-/A-79750523

jrenaut
    Participant

@drevil 227390 wrote:

These Wrangler pants from Target. Ain’t as good as my fancy pants, but have lasted me a couple of years, and are unbeatable for the price ($30 retail, but I picked up a couple pairs for $20 on sale a couple of years ago!)

https://www.target.com/p/wrangler-men-39-s-atg-slim-fit-taper-synthetic-trail-jogger-pants-caviar-36×30/-/A-79750523

$30 is what I’m looking for, thank you. I just ordered a pair of these for pickup tomorrow. I don’t NEED fancy pants, I just need pants to bike in.

jrenaut
    Participant

Used the Target Wrangler pants with tights underneath today. They worked well, though they couldn’t keep up with the water from my un-fendered bike.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.