Can we get some signs at Walter Reed Dr/Four Mile Run Dr?

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Can we get some signs at Walter Reed Dr/Four Mile Run Dr?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Deb
    Participant

Hi, I have a request. I live in Fairlington and often when I go out for a ride from home I wind up riding through the intersection of Walter Reed Dr and Four Mile Run Dr. I have almost been killed once at this intersection (no exaggeration — was almost right hooked by a black SUV with a “CLERGY” sign on the driver’s door) and recently while going straight through the intersection on Walter Reed, two vehicles made left turns in front of me while I was in the intersection and a third was heading straight for me when the driver finally realized he had to stop because he was on course for a direct hit.

There is a lot of cyclist traffic in this area — the WOD runs parallel to Four Mile Run Dr, there is a bike lane on Walter Reed, plus the Four Mile Run trails runs nearby. There are also plenty of joggers, pedestrians, dog walkers, etc. on the WOD. However there is no signage in this area to help us out by alerting drivers to our presence. Is there any way we could get some signs put up in this neighborhood to make the area safer for all the cyclists and other non-vehicular traffic?

Ideally I would like something neon that says “PLEASE DON’T KILL THE CYCLISTS.” ;) However even a few “Share the Road” or “Bike Route” signs should help.

Thanks

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Hi Deb–the County Bike/Ped planning team and the engineers on the Transportation team have been made aware of your posting.

At this week’s BAC meeting I heard that there are a number of changes that will be happening to that specific area in the coming months.

I’ll let you know if I hear more!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Deb–here’s what I’ve heard from Transportation Engineering & Operations team:

“Arlington County has two pavement marking projects in this area that will include signage for bicyclists.

Northbound/eastbound Walter Reed Drive from Four Mile Run Drive to Pollard Street will be re-marked to include a parking lane and a bike lane (going up the hill). As part of this project there will be bike lane signage added to this segment.

Walter Reed Drive between Four Mile Run Drive and the county line (King St) is currently being re-marked and will include bicycle facilities. Between Four Mile Run and Arlington Mill Drive there will be bike lanes, and south of Arlington Mill Drive there will be shared-lane markings in the wider curbside lane. As part of this project there will be “Bikes May Use Full Lane” signs added to Walter Reed Drive.

Additionally we are considering adding the new Trail Crossing sign showing both bikes and pedestrians to the W&OD trail crossings at Walter Reed Drive and George Mason Drive.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Can we get some signs at Walter Reed Dr/Four Mile Run Dr?’ is closed to new replies.