CaBi XML feed location and information

Our Community Forums Capital Bikeshare Capital Bikeshare Software Developers CaBi XML feed location and information

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dgohlke
    Participant

Capital Bikeshare uses an XML feed to publish data station data. The feed is located at http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/data/stations/bikeStations.xml (updated 1/31/12, old location now redirects)

This feed contains data as outlined below:
    [HTML]

20th & Bell St
    true
    false

false

… additional stations removed …

[/HTML]

where:

stations: lastUpdate: a timestamp* of when the XML file was updated
    station:
    [B]id[/B]: a numeric identifier of the station
    [B]name[/B]: the station’s name
    [B]terminalName[/B]: the terminal #
    [B]lat[/B]: geographic Latitudinal coordinate
    [B]long[/B]: geographic Longitudinal coordinate
    [B]installed[/B]: true or false
    [B]locked[/B]: true or false, A station can be locked administratively. I think this makes the station inoperable, but it may just prevent bikes from being checked out while still allowing bikes to be checked in.
    [B]installDate[/B]: a timestamp* of when the station was installed, can be null.
    [B]removalDate[/B]: a timestamp* of when the station was removed, can be null.
    [B]temporary[/B]: true or false
    [B]nbBikes[/B]: the number of bicycles currently docked at this station. I believe it only displays working bicycles (bicycles not marked as needing service).
    [B]nbEmptyDocks[/B]: the number of currently available docks. I believe it only displays working docks.
    [B]latestUpdateTime[/B]: This appears to be a timestamp* of when the station last saw activity. This field was added sometime mid-2011. The description has not been officially confirmed**.

[B]* [/B]timestamps are 13-digit timestamp (10-digit UNIX timestamp + 3 digit millisecond value)
    [B]** [/B]The evidence that supports the definition of LatestUpdateTime: The sample data above was captured shortly after 12:22:34 PM on Friday, February 03, 2012 (lastUpdate: 1328289754676). Station 1 contained 3 bikes and 8 docks. The latestUpdateTime for this station was 1328287786738 which equals Friday, February 03, 2012 11:49:46 AM. A look at cabitracker.com on the page for[URL=”www.cabitracker.com/station.php?id=1&s=2012-02-03&e=2012-02-03″] Station 1 at February 3, 2012[/URL] yields a graph that showed that station’s status throughout the day. At 11:49 AM the station was reporting 4 bikes and 7 docks, but at 11:50 AM the station was reporting 3 bikes and 8 docks. This time corresponds perfectly with the latestUpdateTime above.

[/CODE][CODE]stations: lastUpdate: a timestamp* of when the XML file was updated
    station:
    id: a numeric identifier of the station
    name: the station’s name
    terminalName: the terminal #
    lat: geographic Latitudinal coordinate
    long: geographic Longitudinal coordinate
    installed: true or false
    locked: true or false, A station can be locked administratively. I think this makes the station inoperable, but it may just prevent bikes from being checked out while still allowing bikes to be checked in.
    installDate: a timestamp* of when the station was installed, can be null.
    removalDate: a timestamp* of when the station was removed, can be null.
    temporary: true or false
    nbBikes: the number of bicycles currently docked at this station. I believe it only displays working bicycles (bicycles not marked as needing service).
    nbEmptyDocks: the number of currently available docks. I believe it only displays working docks.
    latestUpdateTime: This appears to be a timestamp* of when the station last saw activity. This field was added sometime mid-2011. The description has not been officially confirmed**.

* timestamps are 13-digit timestamp (10-digit UNIX timestamp + 3 digit millisecond value)
    ** The evidence that supports the definition of LatestUpdateTime: The sample data above was captured shortly after 12:22:34 PM on Friday, February 03, 2012 (lastUpdate: 1328289754676). Station 1 contained 3 bikes and 8 docks. The latestUpdateTime for this station was 1328287786738 which equals Friday, February 03, 2012 11:49:46 AM. A look at cabitracker.com on the page for Station 1 at February 3, 2012 yields a graph that showed that station’s status throughout the day. At 11:49 AM the station was reporting 4 bikes and 7 docks, but at 11:50 AM the station was reporting 3 bikes and 8 docks. This time corresponds perfectly with the latestUpdateTime above.

[/CODE]

Kyle Hill
    Participant

If you liked it, then you shoulda an put an API on it! Oh wait, let’s do that.

This is all stuff I slapped together in a few hours about a year ago, but it still works — bounces off the CaBi XML feed. Use a GET request, it returns JSON. Doesn’t have an API key or rate limiting or anything; just please try to not completely overwhelm my free shared hosting plan? I need it to host my months-out-of-date resume.

Example:
    {“hasData”:true,”stationName”:”20th & Bell St”,”latitude”:38.8561,”longitude”:-77.0512,”stationId”:1,”bikesAvailable”:3,”docksOpen”:8,”isInstalled”:true,”isLocked”:false,”isOnline”:true,”distance”:0}

http://kylehill.net/transit/GetNearestWithBike – returns data about a specific CaBi station.
    Mandatory Parameter:
    id: Station ID number.

http://kylehill.net/transit/GetStations – returns all CaBi Stations, including those locked/deactivated.
    Optional Parameters:
    lat, lon: Show station’s distance, in as-the-crow-files miles, from current coordinates. (Obviously if you use lat or lon, use both.)
    ct: Number of stations to show. Defaults to all.
    (http://kylehill.net/transit/GetStations?lat=38.905278&lon=-77.057590&ct=5 shows the nearest five stations from my office front door. I have one literally across the street. Be jealous, kids.)

http://kylehill.net/transit/GetNearestWithBike – returns nearest CaBi stations with available bikes.
    Mandatory Parameters:
    lat, lon: Show station’s distance, in as-the-crow-files miles, from current coordinates.
    Optional Parameter:

http://kylehill.net/transit/GetNearestWithDock – returns nearest CaBi stations with available docks.
    Mandatory Parameters:
    lat, lon: Show station’s distance, in as-the-crow-files miles, from current coordinates.
    Optional Parameter:

dgohlke
    Participant

Kyle, I think you should create a new post with this information, as it deserves its own space. I’ll even have some stuff to add to it.

cephas
    Participant

@dgohlke 14237 wrote:

Capital Bikeshare uses an XML feed to publish data station data. The feed is located at http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/data/stations/bikeStations.xml

That’s great. I’m surprised it shows the Nannie Helen Burroughs & Minnesota Ave NE station. It’s not yet installed, but set to public. That explains the one white bubble on the map (which I’d been finding odd, as it’s not referenced in the key). It also identified one station as temporary.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.