CaBi Quest Arlington

Our Community Forums Capital Bikeshare CaBi Quest Arlington

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Steve O
    Participant

Stealing this idea from the Tour de B-Cycle in Boulder, I have chosen this Sunday, November 8, to undertake the CaBi Quest Arlington, in which I will visit every BikeShare station in Arlington and dock and undock a bike. My count shows 81 stations currently.

I figure I’ll be at Java Shack for my first rest break around 8:30-9:00. Feel free to meet me there for your Sunday coffeeneuring point.

I’m thinking Crystal City around lunchtime, although my timing estimates get fuzzier the farther into the quest I go. My best estimate is 7-8 hours for the whole thing, including rest/lunch stops.

I will be passing through Ballston at the end of the Quest, so if anyone would like to meet at Carpool or something to celebrate, let’s do it.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

Well this sounds stupid. Hurray!

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Are you going to publish your route? Tell us a little more and we’ll put you on the twitters.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Follow up offer–if you do it, I know a guy who can get you into the Capital Bikeshare e-newsletter. There’s 53,000+ names on that mailing list…

scoot
    Participant

Have fun! I was considering doing something like this also, but you will beat me to it.

By the way, one of the presenters at the most recent CaBi hack night shared an animated visualization of his TSP heuristic for visiting all the existing CaBi stations. That might take more than a day, though!

Steve O
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 127379 wrote:

Are you going to publish your route? Tell us a little more and we’ll put you on the twitters.

I have almost finalized my route, and it’s tentatively like this:

Start at N. Nelson & Lee Highway
    Work towards Rosslyn
    Out the R-B corridor
    Down to Shirlington
    Over to Crystal City
    Pick up stragglers along C-Pike and head back north through Ballston to starting point

Steve O
    Participant

I’m also planning to take a photo or two at each station and track with my Garmin. Sadly, I don’t have a GoPro to make a YouTube video like the cool ones Bobco does.

Proposed Instagram/Twitter hashtag: #CaBiQuestArl

Steve O
    Participant

@scoot 127382 wrote:

Have fun! I was considering doing something like this also, but you will beat me to it.

Pretty soon Arlington will be adding more stations, so just wait a bit, and you can best me.

(That’s actually part of the reason I’m doing it now–easier before they add the new stations)

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@Steve O 127392 wrote:

I’m also planning to take a photo or two at each station and track with my Garmin. Sadly, I don’t have a GoPro to make a YouTube video like the cool ones Bobco does.

Stop by our office tonight or tomorrow:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10015[/ATTACH]

bobco85
    Participant

@Steve O 127392 wrote:

(writing this even after seeing Tim’s offer to lend the GoPro) you could still make a cool video using photos and mapping your route on Strava Fly-By/other software.

My ideas for a video of your trip:

• the video is a hybrid visualization/slideshow
    • overview map of Arlington; the stations would “fill in” as you visit them (maybe something like a star appearing on the location)
    • miniature SteveO icon to show your position traveling to each station on Strava Fly-By
    • the photos you take at each station could appear in a top corner of the map in sync with each station visit
    • you could use videos from the GoPro of getting to/from each neighborhood
    • peppy soundtrack to go with the passage of time (hours of riding condensed into a few minutes of video)

I’d love to help out with something like this, but I will be out of town (leaving early Sunday morning for 2 weeks). Have fun on the trip!

Steve O
    Participant

@bobco85 127410 wrote:

(writing this even after seeing Tim’s offer to lend the GoPro) you could still make a cool video using photos and mapping your route on Strava Fly-By/other software.

My ideas for a video of your trip:

• the video is a hybrid visualization/slideshow
    • overview map of Arlington; the stations would “fill in” as you visit them (maybe something like a star appearing on the location)
    • miniature SteveO icon to show your position traveling to each station on Strava Fly-By
    • the photos you take at each station could appear in a top corner of the map in sync with each station visit
    • you could use videos from the GoPro of getting to/from each neighborhood
    • peppy soundtrack to go with the passage of time (hours of riding condensed into a few minutes of video)

I’d love to help out with something like this, but I will be out of town (leaving early Sunday morning for 2 weeks). Have fun on the trip!

Sounds awesome! I will hire a director/editor to take care of all this.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@Steve O 127420 wrote:

Sounds awesome! I will hire a director/editor to take care of all this.

So…do you want me to charge up the camera?

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@scoot 127382 wrote:

By the way, one of the presenters at the most recent CaBi hack night shared an animated visualization of his TSP heuristic for visiting all the existing CaBi stations. That might take more than a day, though!

Some guy rode to all the CaBi stations in the region in one day, but this was in the first year or two of the system. There weren’t nearly as many stations as there are now. I don’t think Alexandria or Montgomery County had joined yet. There may not have been any stations along the Orange Line yet either. So that guy’s task was easier. There’s no way someone could ride to every station in the region in one day now. The CaBi bikes aren’t fast enough and there are so many more stations now, across a much broader geographic area.

CaBi Quest Arlington is more manageable but even that is a lot more difficult than it would have been in 2010 when all of the stations were in Crystal City and Pentagon City.

dasgeh
    Participant

I have a much crappier than Tim’s, but live near your first station. If you can’t get to BikeArlington’s Intergalactic headquarters, and want to use my camera, lmk.

Or better yet, maybe Erin could drop BA’s by my place, and you could swing by to pick it up…

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@dasgeh 127429 wrote:

If you can’t get to BikeArlington’s Intergalactic headquarters

He said he’s coming over soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.