Bump on my rim

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Maintenance Bump on my rim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    awitt
    Participant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19023[/ATTACH]
    This bump appeared on the rim of my front wheel today. I started to hear a scraping noise from one part of the rim. It sounded like a rock in the brake pad but it wasn’t constant so that couldn’t be it. When i got home and wiped off the rims I found the bump shown in the photo. It’s not a scratch or divot, it looks like the end od a tiny rod sticking out of the rim. I tried some fine grain metal sandpaper but it made no difference with light pressure and I don’t want to use more force. I know I probably need a new wheel, these are the cheap ones that came on the bike. I’m just wondering what it is. The rims are Mavic Aksium on Mavic hubs. The bike is a cannondale synapses carbon di2 with 105 brakes.

awitt
    Participant

It’s a piece of debris that was ground into the rim and covered with aluminum residue from normal braking action. I have to buff it flat and make sure the brake pads are clean.

Harry Meatmotor
    Participant

@awitt 186120 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19023[/ATTACH]
    This bump appeared on the rim of my front wheel today. I started to hear a scraping noise from one part of the rim. It sounded like a rock in the brake pad but it wasn’t constant so that couldn’t be it. When i got home and wiped off the rims I found the bump shown in the photo. It’s not a scratch or divot, it looks like the end od a tiny rod sticking out of the rim. I tried some fine grain metal sandpaper but it made no difference with light pressure and I don’t want to use more force. I know I probably need a new wheel, these are the cheap ones that came on the bike. I’m just wondering what it is. The rims are Mavic Aksium on Mavic hubs. The bike is a cannondale synapses carbon di2 with 105 brakes.

A single-sided straight razor blade works really well to slice these little barnacles off of the brake track. Just be careful since you’re working so close to the tire sidewall.

awitt
    Participant

Thanks harry meatmotor!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.