BTWD Fallout

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    KLizotte
    Participant

@Certifried 20486 wrote:

RA is also rampant through my family, KLizotte (Liz?). My paternal grandma had it, and my dad his it. My mom also has osteoarthritis, so I’m genetically screwed. My RA factor has been high for a lot of years, but I don’t have it, knock on wood. I had an abnormal ANA once and the rheumatologist told me that “you don’t have anything yet, but come back every 6 months because you’re likely developing RA, lupus, some other auto-immune disease, or cancer”. … .. wtf… really? cancer? see you in 6 months? I saw another doctor right away, and got a second opinion. So, now I watch it, get tested annually, but I’m not freaking out like I was for a couple of days :(

Overactive immune systems runs in my family too (RA, allergies, lupus, etc). Recent research shows that people with overactive immune systems have a lower incidence of cancer but they don’t know why. At least there is a small silver lining.

vvill
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 20527 wrote:

We take anyone! Strava…RideWithGPS…Daily Mile…Garmin Connect…..

Speaking of these, anyone interested in making a Strava “club” for BikeArlington?

creadinger
    Participant

@Certifried 20452 wrote:

A little background, since I’m new here. I’m 42, live in Bethesda, work in Suitland.

Welcome back to the bike! I hope you can ease into it ok. I work in Suitland too, so it will be nice to see another rider on the roads in Southeast. So are you Census, Navy, or NOAA? Heh. I’ve seen a couple of regulars near the Douglas Bridge, but no one up in the Suitland area. The few I have seen tend to ride on the wrong side of the road (ahem WABA – education is still in need over there). I live in Arlington and commute 24 miles round trip by cutting through DC. I thought 24 miles was rough.

What route did you take? I head a little out of the way to take advantage of the bike lanes on Mass Ave and Alabama. The big-ass hill going up Mass Ave has even shown dividends on my weekend rides as well.

Certifried
    Participant

@creadinger 20548 wrote:

Welcome back to the bike! I hope you can ease into it ok. I work in Suitland too, so it will be nice to see another rider on the roads in Southeast. So are you Census, Navy, or NOAA? Heh. I’ve seen a couple of regulars near the Douglas Bridge, but no one up in the Suitland area. The few I have seen tend to ride on the wrong side of the road (ahem WABA – education is still in need over there). I live in Arlington and commute 24 miles round trip by cutting through DC. I thought 24 miles was rough.

What route did you take? I head a little out of the way to take advantage of the bike lanes on Mass Ave and Alabama. The big-ass hill going up Mass Ave has even shown dividends on my weekend rides as well.

http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/activity/90369023
    Census :) I took the capital crescent trail down to canal, to Independence to Maine, M, First, across the Frederick Douglass, up Anacostia to Good Hope, Alabama, then Suitland Rd. It’s not a bad ride other than climbing Good Hope Rd… I did the CycleXMd year out in Western MD, didn’t have a lot of problems with hills at all, but that seems to be my biggest challenge since starting to ride again :( I need to really work on that.

I do have one question about the Frederick Douglas (or any narrow passing), who should yield? The poor sucker climbing or the guy zipping down? That’s so narrow on that bridge.

KLizotte
    Participant

@Certifried 20599 wrote:

http://runkeeper.com/user/certifried/activity/90369023
    I do have one question about the Frederick Douglas (or any narrow passing), who should yield? The poor sucker climbing or the guy zipping down? That’s so narrow on that bridge.

I think the person going down should yield. Has always seemed cruel to me to make someone re-start (or change position) on a hill and it’s no biggee for the person zipping down to wait a second or two.

americancyclo
    Participant

@KLizotte 20603 wrote:

I think the person going down should yield.

That’s the same position the California DMV takes on hills, and as a previous resident of San Francisco, I wholeheartedly agree. Whoever is putting in the most effort gets the right of way.

txgoonie
    Participant

@americancyclo 20607 wrote:

That’s the same position the California DMV takes on hills, and as a previous resident of San Francisco, I wholeheartedly agree. Whoever is putting in the most effort gets the right of way.

That’s SOP in mountain biking, as well. (Aside: it’s rather infuriating how few people actually follow it in practice, especially when it’s a guy barreling downhill versus a girl going up. I feel a lot of the time dudes would just bash right into me if I didn’t get out of the way.:mad:)

Certifried
    Participant

@KLizotte 20546 wrote:

Overactive immune systems runs in my family too (RA, allergies, lupus, etc). Recent research shows that people with overactive immune systems have a lower incidence of cancer but they don’t know why. At least there is a small silver lining.

Looking at my family history, I’d have to say I believe in this 100%. Of course, 1 family isn’t hardly a sampling…. All my grandparents lived well in to their 80s/90s, no cancers anywhere (knock on wood). I’m somewhat convinced that I’ll live long in to my 80s or 90s (knock on more wood), unfortunately it will be a painful existence :(

Thanks all for the etiquette knowledge, that definitely seemed like the right thing to do. Though, the guy I met on the bridge yielded on his uphill before I got the chance to yield my downhilling. He looked mildly winded, so he might have been thankful for the break LOL

creadinger
    Participant

@Certifried 20599 wrote:

I have tried to go by the “uphill gets the right of way” rule on the Douglass bridge, but every time I try, the person ahead of me yields way before I get close to him. It’s usually the same guy. I was taught that rule from hiking. It was really great in the Adirondaks to see people step aside to let us keep our slow ascent up Algonquin Peak going. Chile though was another matter… all those damned Europeans didn’t yield for anything! In the crowded areas, the only reason we had any trail space at all was because I was 2x their size.

With regard to the hills – Good Hope road is rough! Mass Ave is long, but it has flat parts where you can catch your breath at least.

Certifried
    Participant

Good Hope road is something I am determined to conquer. I haven’t let it beat me yet, but it sure kicks my ass.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.