BTWD Buddy from Bethesda to Gaithersburg

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2016 BTWD Buddy from Bethesda to Gaithersburg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    carut
    Participant

Hi! This is my first time participating in the BTWD (05/20), and I thought it would be even more fun with a biking buddy. I was thinking of going along Bethesda Trolley Trail, join 355, a pit stop in Rockville, and then resume on 355 (Rockville Pike)!

ian74
    Participant

Good for you! Congrats on biking to work, I would like to suggest you find an alternate route though. Riding from Rockville to Gaithersburgh completely on Rockville Pike is probably not a very good idea. It’s a heavy traffic road, with no bike lanes to speak of. Your only option would be to ride sidewalks, which is not a very good idea either.

I just searched with google maps and chose bicycle as mode of transportation, it suggested 2 routes. One by taking Rock Creek Trail to G’bugh, and the other by taking the Millennium trail. Here’s a link.
    I would love to ride with you, but unfortunately, my ride ends in Bethesda!

https://goo.gl/maps/MbDz5CNtSTM2

Also, some other forum regulars with more local riding experience can give you some suggestions as well! Good luck and have fun!

carut
    Participant

@ian74 139850 wrote:

Good for you! Congrats on biking to work, I would like to suggest you find an alternate route though. Riding from Rockville to Gaithersburgh completely on Rockville Pike is probably not a very good idea. It’s a heavy traffic road, with no bike lanes to speak of. Your only option would be to ride sidewalks, which is not a very good idea either.

I just searched with google maps and chose bicycle as mode of transportation, it suggested 2 routes. One by taking Rock Creek Trail to G’bugh, and the other by taking the Millennium trail. Here’s a link.
    I would love to ride with you, but unfortunately, my ride ends in Bethesda!

https://goo.gl/maps/MbDz5CNtSTM2

Also, some other forum regulars with more local riding experience can give you some suggestions as well! Good luck and have fun!

Hey Ian! Thanks for the advice. I’ve actually biked to work a lot of times over the last few months and 355 isn’t that bad in the morning, especially since I’m always against the traffic. I’ve tried out quite a few routes, and the Google suggested ones aren’t exactly the best as some of them involved single lane roads that go uphill and stuff like that. I do try to make myself as visible as possible (bontrager flare r tail light and a white flashing helmet light). Of course, I’m still looking for good alternative routes along Carl henn memorial trail, routes that won’t cause traffic issues behind me or dedicated bike lane.

ian74
    Participant

My bad! From your first post it sounded like it was something new. Good job on that route, you’re definitely braver than I am. I used to live in Rockville and the thought of riding on the pike was terrifying to me.

I hope you find a riding partner for tomorrow! Stick around too, there are quite a few MoCo people that commute down from that neck of the woods. Is there any reason not to ride on the Memorial trail? My commute is going to change and I’ll be heading that way soon. I was planning on riding it for a few miles.

carut
    Participant

@ian74 139908 wrote:

My bad! From your first post it sounded like it was something new. Good job on that route, you’re definitely braver than I am. I used to live in Rockville and the thought of riding on the pike was terrifying to me.

I hope you find a riding partner for tomorrow! Stick around too, there are quite a few MoCo people that commute down from that neck of the woods. Is there any reason not to ride on the Memorial trail? My commute is going to change and I’ll be heading that way soon. I was planning on riding it for a few miles.

Well, when I’m biking on major roads, I try to occupy around 1/3rd of the lane, that way cars don’t pass too close to you without changing lanes, and you aren’t too intrusive. I generally follow all traffic laws to make sure I’m predictable. And generally, Rockville area is pretty good as long as there isn’t a lot of traffic, which isn’t the case for me luckily. On the other hand, If I had to bike the other way in the morning, I’d stay off Rockville Pike.

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Millennium Trail. It’s pretty well maintained, and very few traffic related issues as long as you stop where you have to cross the road and you stick to the bike trail. The thing I was talking about is when I get off the Millennium trail, I have to bike along a couple of narrow roads, and that’s something I’m not very comfortable doing. It’s around the Gaithersburg/ Shady Grove area. I probably have to spend some time looking for good bike routes, but I haven’t yet. Once I figure that out, I might bike more often to work. Currently, I probably have like one or two good days to bike to work per week without fatigue due to gym schedule.

baiskeli
    Participant

There are organized convoys on BTWD. Groups of rider meet at certain points and ride in together. Here’s a map of this year’s convoys. Looks like there are a few in or near Rockville.

http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/first-time-rider-info/4606-2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.