Bollard needed?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    baiskeli
    Participant

I used to live on Commonwealth and use that trail alot, and I’ve never seen this. Perhaps there’s some change related to the construction on the eastern side that’s confusing drivers? Or else somebody has found a secrete illegal shortcut around traffic?

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Another alternative to paint, signs and bollards is to not plow the trail. As you can see, no cars have braved the trail.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7869[/ATTACH]

baiskeli
    Participant

@Mikey 108758 wrote:

from the Google Street view I can see why it is confusing if it looks like this in real life.

Turn clockwise 90 degrees and you see a cyclist getting his 15 seconds of fame. Or maybe it’s creadinger trying to wave the Google car away from driving on the trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.840012,-77.055853,3a,75y,110.93h,79.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYzWGMwNtUmijafZmlDRAyA!2e0

Mikey
    Participant

Yep I had a laugh at that. They blurred the face but not the bike, anyone recognize?

jrenaut
    Participant

Did they also blur his left foot, or is that just a page load hiccup?

Mikey
    Participant

@jrenaut 108777 wrote:

Did they also blur his left foot, or is that just a page load hiccup?

Probably could read the trade mark label on the shoe. Google Maps is not going to advertise for them.

creadinger
    Participant

@baiskeli 108775 wrote:

Turn clockwise 90 degrees and you see a cyclist getting his 15 seconds of fame. Or maybe it’s creadinger trying to wave the Google car away from driving on the trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.840012,-77.055853,3a,75y,110.93h,79.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYzWGMwNtUmijafZmlDRAyA!2e0

No, that’s not me. I had to do a double take though because that is the exact color of my bike, and I had a rack like that too. I don’t have any guesses as to who it is.

peterw_diy
    Participant

I communicated with Alexandria City staff (T&ES transportation planning division) about this. In response to the concerns raised here, they intend to add some markings on the pavement although that can’t happen until the spring and they’re going to see what other signage they can fabricate & install to help keep cars off the trail.

creadinger
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for talking to them! It sounds like potentially all the solution we should need. Time will tell, but hopefully the additions come spring time will end this problem.

peterw_diy
    Participant

Well, looks like what we got was another sign. I can’t say I like the placement. At all.

consularrider
    Participant

Yeah, that sign is clearly in the wrong place since that section of pavement looks more like a sidewalk entry the the one to the right.

baiskeli
    Participant

@consularrider 120946 wrote:

Yeah, that sign is clearly in the wrong place since that section of pavement looks more like a sidewalk entry the the one to the right.[/QUOTE

Yes, and now it implies that motor vehicles are allowed on the other section.

bobco85
    Participant

Another sign, much less this useless position for one, will not solve the problem of drivers using this section of trail.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this until now, but is there a “No Outlet” or “Dead End” sign on Commonwealth Ave just past Luna Park Dr? I think having one of those signs would help explain to drivers that there are no connecting roads like the trail for them to use.

@baiskeli 120955 wrote:

Yes, and now it implies that motor vehicles are allowed on the other section.

At the very least the smaller sign is still there should a driver miss the new one.

chris_s
    Participant

@bobco85 120965 wrote:

Another sign, much less this useless position for one, will not solve the problem of drivers using this section of trail.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this until now, but is there a “No Outlet” or “Dead End” sign on Commonwealth Ave just past Luna Park Dr? I think having one of those signs would help explain to drivers that there are no connecting roads like the trail for them to use.

At the very least the smaller sign is still there should a driver miss the new one.

I believe there is a small “No Thru Street” sign between Reed & Luna Park, but nothing after Luna Park.

Just 2 weeks ago or so I had to warn some woman off from driving up onto the trail from that circle. Thankfully her windows were down as it was a nice job so she could hear me shout at her.

creadinger
    Participant

On streetview there’s a small “No thru Street” sign right after Reed, but it’s way off to the right, and usually in the shade, so would barely be noticed by anyone. No other signs that I could see on streetiview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.836691,-77.057153,3a,90y,13.79h,89.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srjVOpng0m70jYOm6yzyQUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah, I have to say, this is an infrastructure signage fail. As others have said, they put the new sign in the exact location that makes the asphalt connector look MORE like a road than it was before! Thanks Alexandria.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.