Biking Shoes (for non-bikers)

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Biking Shoes (for non-bikers)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JanaeBixby
    Participant

I am looking for a good cycling shoe that do not need to be clipped in. I do not want to clip in, because every time I do, I go a few days without incident, but eventually get stuck in the clips and tip over or get surprised, or something happens and I fall. Last time I broke a wrist.

However, cycling shoes provide a firm structure and solid base with minimal laces to tangle. My issue is, I can’t find shoes that fit this description but don’t need to be clipped in. Even if you don’t install the SPD cleat, then there is a big gaping hole/space where you need the shoe to grip the pedal. I also need shoes that I can walk in a little, as there is a reasonable distance between where I can park my bike at work and where I can shower, and then also between the shower and my office, where I keep work shoes. So the mountain biking cycling shoes seem best suited to needs of being able to walk a little in the shoes (without going clickedy-clack clickedy-clack all over), but still have the issue of the hole in the with no grip if you don’t install the cleat.

Any suggestions?!?? I feel there is a hole in the market here. Thanks!

hozn
    Participant

Maybe try something like the Giro Rumble shoes https://www.bikeshoes.com/Giro-Rumble-VR-Mens-Mountain-Bike-Shoes/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ay8BRC7sYequMydsq0BEiQAbEX9UDxKMF-0i52XKri5lYhCOlLKE4_7SqoSGx9pBczgxvcaAk2u8P8HAQ

In general, you are probably looking at downhill/freeride-type shoes where many riders prefer flat pedals. Brands like Five Ten. Or skateboard shoes like Converse.

You may also wish to try different pedals with an easier exit. A few falls while learning isn’t out of the ordinary, but if it keeps happening there might be a problem with your retention system.

For casual riding, though, I don’t see much benefit to being clipped in, so don’t feel like you have to have clipless pedals to ride your bike!

JanaeBixby
    Participant

@hozn 143222 wrote:

Maybe try something like the Giro Rumble shoes https://www.bikeshoes.com/Giro-Rumble-VR-Mens-Mountain-Bike-Shoes/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2ay8BRC7sYequMydsq0BEiQAbEX9UDxKMF-0i52XKri5lYhCOlLKE4_7SqoSGx9pBczgxvcaAk2u8P8HAQ

In general, you are probably looking at downhill/freeride-type shoes where many riders prefer flat pedals. Brands like Five Ten. Or skateboard shoes like Converse.

Thanks! It looks like they make a women’s version too: https://www.bikeshoes.com/Giro-Jacket-Mountain-Bike-Shoes/

However, the shoe laces. I don’t get it!?! Why would anyone want shoe laces on a cycling shoe? It seems like a risk. Also, just difficult as compared to other closure systems. Someone please explain the benefit of laces!

Would something like the following work? Does the pad that is in place of the SPD mount actually stay in place and can be kept instead of installing the SPD?
    https://www.bikeshoes.com/Shimano-SH-WM34-Womens-MountainIndoor-Cycling-Shoes/

I like that these are narrow, as my tennis shoes I am currently using (running shoes) are much wider and often get in the way. Tennis shoes just take too much of a beating while biking and I am going through too many pairs.

JanaeBixby
    Participant

OK, Got these: http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Mountain/Women’s/Footwear/Cycling%20Shoes/Women’s%20X-Alp%20Launch%20II/p/152160012FJ

I think they fit the bill but lets see! Hoping that the part of the sole that covers the SPD mounting point stays on the shoe well.

Also decided to order gloves, as I have never used any but am having strange nerve pains in my fingers, so maybe they will help alleviate that. Despite having commuted for years by bike, I have never really taken the time to invest in any gear other than my bike!

Thanks! :D

jrenaut
    Participant

Not being able to unclip might just mean the tension is too high on the clip retaining screw or you need to lube your pedals.

As for nerve pains in your fingers, the first thing to try is to make sure to wiggle your fingers now and then and make sure you occasionally take all the weight off your hand (one at a time should be fine unless you want to get crazy). But you also might want to consider getting a bike fitting at a good shop (I’d highly recommend The Bike Rack in Logan or Proteus in College Park from personal experience, but plenty of other shops would do a good job as well). it could be something as easy as moving your seat a bit or getting a shorter stem.

And as for laced shoes – the only advantage I think is fit – you can get a much snugger fit from laces that go all the way up and down your foot than you can from a few strips of velcro. I’m dubious, but I just bought a pair of the Giros that hozn mentioned. Haven’t ridden in them enough to give a real review, but they’re really nice to walk in.

trailrunner
    Participant

I recently bought a pair of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/892626/pearl-izumi-x-alp-seek-vii-mountain-bike-shoes-mens

I’ve always used traditional bike shoes (usually Sidi), but I decided to get these to walk from the bike rack through my office building until I get to my office and put my dress clothes on. They are the most casual bike shoe I’ve ever owned. They might be what you are looking for.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

Janae,
    Please join us at the happy hour this Thursday at Capitol City Brewing Co. in Shirlington if you can. (Info is under Events). Many of us once had your same questions and issues and would be glad to share what has helped us. Also, we’d love to welcome you and introduce you to some of your fellow commuters.
    – Kathy

hozn
    Participant

@JanaeBixby 143224 wrote:

OK, Got these: http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Mountain/Women’s/Footwear/Cycling%20Shoes/Women’s%20X-Alp%20Launch%20II/p/152160012FJ

I think they fit the bill but lets see! Hoping that the part of the sole that covers the SPD mounting point stays on the shoe well.

Also decided to order gloves, as I have never used any but am having strange nerve pains in my fingers, so maybe they will help alleviate that. Despite having commuted for years by bike, I have never really taken the time to invest in any gear other than my bike!

Thanks! :D

Yeah, usually that cleat cover area has to be cut out (e.g. with an exacto knife) so you should be just fine. It is there for cyclists that would prefer to ride with flat pedals — like you!

Getting gloves with some well-placed padding might be very helpful for circulation. There are lots of glove brands but PI makes some good and affordable gloves. If the gloves just have plain leather palms that probably won’t help much (for numbness).

Different grips might be in order. E.g. Ergon if flat bar or some gel strips under the tape (and/or thicker tape) if road bars. And finally you might just be putting too much pressure on your hands due to bike/fit/position.

huskerdont
    Participant

If you decide to try cleats again, in addition to the tensioning jrenaut mentioned, you might try spraying some lubricant on the pedals or cleats. You can just Pam if you don’t have anything else. I find the cleats come up exactly as I want them to if I spray a little bit on the pedals every month or two, or after a good rain.

A campus-style pedal might be a good idea as well so you can choose whether to clip in or not, using one side of the pedal or the other, based on conditions. That’s what I use for mountain biking–if I’m doing something sketchy and want to be able to put a foot down fast, I unclip and use the other side. Would work well for around-town riding with or without cleats.

But if you’ve broken your wrist because you couldn’t get out of the pedals, you may not go back, and especially for riding around town, that’s fine.

Crickey7
    Participant

I like campus style pedals, but I would consider them as primarily a cleat system, and not as a primarily platform system. They are typically weighted so that the platform side rotates down. I like them because they give me the option not to use cycling shoes and still have good support, but 90 plus percent of the time I’m wearing cycling shoes.

huskerdont
    Participant

@Crickey7 143243 wrote:

I like campus style pedals, but I would consider them as primarily a cleat system, and not as a primarily platform system. They are typically weighted so that the platform side rotates down. I like them because they give me the option not to use cycling shoes and still have good support, but 90 plus percent of the time I’m wearing cycling shoes.

I can see that. It may depend on the pedals. I use them when on riding around on vacation where I may be wearing noncycling sandals and usually don’t have a problem getting the noncleat side to come up, and the platforms are so wide that even when I end up using the cleat side for a second, the shoe doesn’t slip off the pedal.

Supermau
    Participant

I use Five/Ten Freeriders. Like stiffer tennis shoes, made for cycling.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.