Bikes in the Schools – Alexandria

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CaseyKane50
    Participant

The Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC), in partnership with Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) has embarked on an ambitious project to initiate universal bicycle education in Alexandria City Public Schools. A recent needs assessment found that “poor diet and exercise [are] problematic, especially among children” in the City of Alexandria. “Research shows that kids who move more aren’t just healthier, they also tend to do better academically…” We ask you to consider joining us in providing Alexandria youth with education that will enable them to be more active and develop life-long healthy habits.

Our near-term objective is to raise a total of $9,000 by Friday, September 9th for bikes, helmets, teacher training, and bike storage to enable safe biking education this fall for about 150 3rd graders at MOunt Vernon Community School, our Bicycling in the Schools pilot project school. To date, we have raised more than $4,000 from Alexandria businesses and BPAC members and friends; with your help, we can achieve our fund raising goal, i.e. an additional $5,000 by September 9th.

You can learn more about the project and donate here: https://www.razoo.com/us/story/Walking-And-Biking-Fund, or mail a check, payable to “The Walking and Biking Fund of ACT for Alexandria”, to
    ACT for Alexandria
    1421 Prince Street, Suite 220
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Attn: John Porter for The Walking and Biking Fund of ACT for Alexandria

Please consider joining us in enabling Alexandria youth to learn safe bicycling this fall by helping us raise an additional $5,000 by September 9th.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12359[/ATTACH]

CaseyKane50
    Participant

As of this morning, we have raised $6,000 of our $9,000 goal. Some of the bikes have been ordered, training of the PE teachers has been scheduled and the 3rd grade students are aware that they will soon be riding bikes in their PE classes.

It is not too late to donate!

You can learn more about the project and donate here: https://www.razoo.com/us/story/Walking-And-Biking-Fund, or mail a check, payable to “The Walking and Biking Fund of ACT for Alexandria”, to

ACT for Alexandria
    1421 Prince Street, Suite 220
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Attn: John Porter for The Walking and Biking Fund of ACT for Alexandria

CaseyKane50
    Participant

Some updates on the Bikes in the School (BITS) project.

• Fundi raising – over $10,000 has been raised including donations from individuals and companies and a grant to be publicly announced within the next few weeks
    • 38 bikes have been acquired along with four tricycles for special need students, helmets and hair nets
    • Participation was expanded to include 3rd, 4th and 5th graders
    • Last week on-bike safety and skills classes started

Here is a short video about the project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4DKZwJZRoQ&feature=youtu.be

You can view more information and pictures on the BPAC Facebook page

Volunteers are needed to help the MVCS PE teachers from November 1 through December 9. The most useful time is 10:45 to 11:30 AM, to stage bikes before the first class of the day (3rd graders). If you are able to stay for the 3rd grade class, i.e. until noon that is a plus, and you will be energized the students’ enthusiasm!

If you can help out any day in the next month, please “sign up” by sending a note to jimandcarey48@comcast.net, with the day and time of your availability. Mount Vernon Community School is located at 2601 Commonwealth Avenue, Alexandria VA. 22301.

StuartN
    Participant

The Pedal Factory in Salisbury NC is considering a program like this for Rowan County. Can anyone point me towards someone I can talk to about the program in the DC area?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Judd
    Participant

@StuartN 181316 wrote:

The Pedal Factory in Salisbury NC is considering a program like this for Rowan County. Can anyone point me towards someone I can talk to about the program in the DC area?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Email Jim Durham – jimandcarey48@comcast.net. He’ll be able to connect you to the right people for Alexandria and DC’s programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartN
    Participant

@Judd 181360 wrote:

Email Jim Durham – jimandcarey48@comcast.net. He’ll be able to connect you to the right people for Alexandria and DC’s programs.

Thanks, Judd! I’ll email him this evening.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.