Bike to Work Day Pictures

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Bike to Work Day Pictures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Greenbelt
    Participant

[video=vimeo;42412773]https://vimeo.com/42412773[/video]

rcannon100
    Participant

First scene: bagels!!!
    Last scene: Bananas!!!

Dirt
    Participant

Here’s the whole set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogringo/sets/72157629787382778/

I had way too much fun today. Got to hang out with my People For Bikes friends. They make me happy and give me hope that something good might come of all this bike advocacy stuff.

7221930016_bebb25cb73_b.jpg
    Adam and Christy are truly amazing.

7221920180_34a9a71925_b.jpg
    Superman on a unicycle talking to Mr. Spamshorts on a high wheeler. You don’t find this sort of thing any other time of the year.

7221929464_3cb38a431c_b.jpg
    People for Fat Bikes.

Thanks y’all for riding. I saw Bike Arlington people all morning long… from west of Vienna all the way to NE DC. YOU FREAKING ROCK and you make me proud to be a part of this community.

I love you!

Dirt

Veik
    Participant

Vienna, around 7am:
    7221440596_32240ae77e_c.jpg

7221439580_cd92a7407b_c.jpg

Dirt
    Participant

7221920860_04d0d8a6c4_b.jpg
    Tim on my fat fixie next to Ms. Unicycle Lady

7221922248_9af13f2968_b.jpg
    Two interpretations of cycling shoes.

7221918996_bb8c9d80af_b.jpg
    Me and americancyclo

:D

Dirt
    Participant

Got pulled over on Pennsylvania Avenue during Bike To Work Day.

Officers wanted to check out the Fat Front Fixie:
    7221926396_af947cced2_b.jpg

SpokeGrenadeSR
    Participant
    JimF22003
    Participant

OK, this pic isn’t of anything that happened at a pitstop, but it was on my route home from work this evening.

They’re starting to paint the new bike lanes on Gallows Rd today:

gallowslanes.jpg

dbb
    Participant

Consularrider and I started at Old Town Alexandria then back up to Crystal City for the closing event of the Crystal City Bike to Work Week

BiketoWork20124.jpg

BiketoWork20122.jpg

BiketoWork20128.jpg

Consularrider heading along the MVT towards Rosslyn

BiketoWork201212.jpg

Dirt and Mike preparing to enjoy the bounty that the Rosslyn pitstop offered

dbb
    Participant

Went over to Reagan pitstop and found Jeff (Greenbelt) and Laurie

BiketoWork201217-1.jpg

Arlingtonrider and I did a small tour of DC on the way back to Virginia

Here is the famed Tour de Tour Busses in West Potomac Park

BiketoWork201218.jpg

KLizotte
    Participant

Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say “no” (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you freakin’ kidding me?! We can’t see the river for heaven’s sake.

Greenbelt
    Participant

@KLizotte 20063 wrote:

Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say “no” (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you kidding me?!

Wonder if they were idling all day? Nothing like filling your lungs with freshly burned carbon particulates as you tour our National Mall.

dbb
    Participant

@KLizotte 20063 wrote:

Look at all of those buses on NPS land! And yet NPS was brazen enough to say “no” (originally) to CaBi because the docking stations on the Mall would be unsightly?!? Are you kidding me?!

I think they did it as a service.

The nice shiny clean busses kept Arlingtonrider and I from having to look at the obvious visual conflict between the Potomac and the development along the ridge in Arlington. In its wisdom, the NPS knew we would be conflicted by that contrast so it arranged for the busses to shield us.

Seriously. the busses were shut off and location aside, were in a location where they could drop off the visitors and park in a manner that allowed convenience and helped minimize traffic. The reality is that as much as we would like busses to disappear, they provide a fairly efficient form of transport for both tourists and folks that work in the city (these were tourist transport devices). Arlingtonrider rode past the WWII memorial and there were a number of vets who came by bus. Because of their age, that was the only choice. The District has worked long and hard to figure out locations for bus parking that are close, acceptable, affordable and don’t screw up traffic. Is the road along the Potomac the best? Not likely, but it seems to work. For moving people, busses are better than cars (against a host of metrics) and cheaper/more flexible than fixed mass transit. I’d hate to think what DC traffic would be like if all the tourists drove downtown in cars or took the metro (I know, some days it seems they do both simultaneously). Bus parking is probably one of those issues where we have to look for ways to work with government to identify the best (least bad?) location. At least by having them all in one place, the Park Police can easily enforce the rules on idling (I am sure fuel prices help with enforcement as well).

Dana

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

Dana,

I agree with you. None of the buses was idling, and seeing all those elderly veterans and others enjoying the WWII memorial and MLK monument was touching. The buses do have to sit somewhere. Mostly though, I’m very impressed that your inner adult could come out before 5:43 in the morning. My inner adult, which rarely appears in any event, has never appeared at that hour! Great riding with you yesterday. Really enjoyed your wonderful company.

Dirt
    Participant

This one showed up on Flickr this morning.

7222988300_8a7fda3598_o.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.