Bike to Work Day Morning Pit Stops

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2017 Bike to Work Day Morning Pit Stops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DanB
    Participant

I’ll get this thread going …

Pit stops stopped at this am:
    Vienna – Still setting up at about 6:20
    Falls Church (Unofficial) – Conte’s Bike Shop
    Falls Church (Official)
    East Falls Church – Metro
    Rosslyn – No golden ticket for me this year :(, but the blue ticket still got me a bell :) And I got the second annual Rosslyn socks. Hopefully, they’ll go for a different color next year …?
    Georgetown – Great baked goods!
    NatGeo – Didn’t win the drawing :(

All in all, a good morning! I picked up a bunch of swag (including maps, a water bottle, blinky lights and the bell) for a colleague who plans to try bike commuting. Did anyone else sense a theme of cold-brewed coffee? I had way too much, and expect to be wired for the rest of the day. Sure tasted good, though.

Drewdane
    Participant

So is it me, or has Bike To Work Day swag declined compared to years past?

Time was, 3 or 4 years ago I could stagger away from the Rosslyn pit stop loaded down with 4-5 water bottles, a few pairs of socks, a fistful of blinky lights, a bell, a patch kit or three, a novelty item of some sort (I think I still have a vuvuzuela lying around somewhere), etc. etc. etc. This year, I got to choose between three items at the raffle table, and two items at the Rosslyn table after providing my contact info. REI appears to have dropped out, and several tables had displays and pamphlets only. Last year was a little more elaborate, but still noticeably lower-key than in prior years.

I can’t complain given how much I paid (nil), but I wonder if sponsors have decided there isn’t enough return on their investment or something.

Drewdane
    Participant

The Bikenetic crew was out in force in Falls Church, brightening up everybody’s commute with costumes, cheers and all-around good vibes as usual! The city of Falls Church likes to send an officer out to keep an eye on the hooligan cyclists, a la Barney Fife. Just like last year, Barney looked a bit glum, possibly because he wasn’t able to block the trail with traffic cones like they did when the pit stop was at Grove Ave.

lordofthemark
    Participant

Shirlington Of course the best part was seeing people, to get the day started, and eating monkey bread and drinking my first coffee. But I got a red ticket, and thus a Bike Arlington Cycling Cap. Was quite pleased. Rode out with Arlingtonrider, CBGAnimal, and Bobco. Though I was the only one who turned south to

Del Ray I don’t think I got any swag there, but was nice seeing the BPAC and Velocity folks. Also met up with StreetSmarts, and rode with her to

Crystal City Where I picked up my jersey. And saw lots of people. And had more coffee. Then on to

Canal Park
    which was great this year. Smaller crowd than the NoVa pitstops, but more people than in years past. Chatted with the BID people, renewed my WABA membership (BTWD discount). Picked up my official BTWD t – shirt. Got ANOTHER tshirt from Conte’s (the new bike shop in the neighborhood). Got a blinkie light from R&KK (This neighborhood draws civil engineering firms). Nando’s gave out bike seat covers. The coffee here was from Philz, which was quite good.

All in all, very nice haul. To justify it, I tried to do some good – talked with two newbies at Crystal City about coffee clubs, the joys of the GCCCT (they were from Annandale). Helped someone at Canal Park asking about the way to the Anacostia River Trail.

Harry Meatmotor
    Participant

NOMA was disappointing. Warm cold-brew coffee (no ice yet), no food (at 7:45am…), and the registration list was by order of registration. Not alphabetical. I mean, I’m not trying to sound too grumpy, so kudos to everybody for helping out, and better luck next year I guess. I didn’t want to hang out past 8am if there wasn’t any food or drink. REI was there, but no freebies. Nando’s was giving away free bottles of Peri-Peri sauce ’cause obviously I can use that while bike commuting. At least it wasn’t raining.

mello yello
    Participant

I did my most pit stops ever today, and ended up at my office much later than usual.

Twinning 7a. Got the shirt, coffee, banana, donut, blinky, signed up for WABA membership, and WON Green Guru zip pouch & two movie tickets w. popcorn.

Benning 7:45 stopped to say Hi. Ate a pastry.

Bladensburg 8:00 Got a bar, block puzzle / fidget thing, and temporary dinosaur tatoos

Edmonston 8:20 got an apple & cliff bar from MOM’s, $5 Community Forklift coupon, reflectix pant strap (snap-bracelet style)

College Park 8:50 got a banana and coffee, as things were packing up.

Work got the opportunity to earn a paycheck, but logged into Bike Arlington Forums instead… I should really get back to it.

edit: A few years ago I think WABA and Bicycle Space had patch kits at all the stops. That was a great freebie, and I was hoping to come across another, since I’ve used mine all up. Guess I’ll just have to actually stop at a store instead!

Oh, and found a pair of pliers.

Oh, and ran over a snake and a squirrel.

Emm
    Participant

@Drewdane 160336 wrote:

So is it me, or has Bike To Work Day swag declined compared to years past?

I’ve noticed that too… I think 2 years ago I got something like 7-8 water bottles, multiple t-shirts, and all sorts of lights and bells. This year and last it was wayyy less. But I did get sugar shack donuts in Old Town, saw lots of my forum friends in Crystal City, and Rosslyn was as usual a zoo (in a good way). I skipped Shirlington because I spent too much time hanging out in Crystal City.

I wont complain too much though, because I FINALLY PULLED A GOLDEN TICKET IN ROSSLYN! That meant I got a Bike Arlington jersey, which they even had in my size. So 2 jerseys this year from bike to work day/week (Crystal City and Bike Arlington), which when added to the WABA and W&B jerseys that I also got this week means I somehow ended the week with 4 new bike jerseys which is kinda ridiculous yet totally awesome.

Drewdane
    Participant

@Emm 160350 wrote:

I wont complain too much though, because I FINALLY PULLED A GOLDEN TICKET IN ROSSLYN! That meant I got a Bike Arlington jersey, which they even had in my size. So 2 jerseys this year from bike to work day/week (Crystal City and Bike Arlington), which when added to the WABA and W&B jerseys that I also got this week means I somehow ended the week with 4 new bike jerseys which is kinda ridiculous yet totally awesome.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14796[/ATTACH]

phog
    Participant

I’m grateful to get anything! Stopped by the Rosslyn pit stop on the way to Capitol Hill area and has a cold-brew coffee, a bagel, a banana, free event shirt, a velcro wrist reflector, and an nut bar. Thank to WABA and everyone else who puts this on every year. Who here has the oldest Bike to Work Day shirt? I have one from 2006, if had older ones I can’t find them.

DanB
    Participant

@phog 160360 wrote:

Who here has the oldest Bike to Work Day shirt? I have one from 2006, if had older ones I can’t find them.

Steve O …? I think he has them going back to 2000. Even more impressive: he knows where they are!

bobco85
    Participant

@DanB 160362 wrote:

Steve O …? I think he has them going back to 2000. Even more impressive: he knows where they are!

Steve O had them on display at the Ballston pit stop this morning. It’s cool, counting back the years with each color!

JustinW
    Participant

@bobco85 160366 wrote:

Steve O had them on display at the Ballston pit stop this morning. It’s cool, counting back the years with each color!

Aha, was wondering after the fact if that was him / his shirts. I commented to him (he was manning the t-shirt table, of course) that I was rocking my 2007 BTWD shirt to celebrate 10 years of this stuff, and he casually waved a hand over the collected mass of history that is his BTWD shirt collection. All wrapped in plastic, of course. Guess I have more work to do in order to catch up.

LhasaCM
    Participant

@Harry Meatmotor 160348 wrote:

NOMA was disappointing. Warm cold-brew coffee (no ice yet), no food (at 7:45am…), and the registration list was by order of registration. Not alphabetical. I mean, I’m not trying to sound too grumpy, so kudos to everybody for helping out, and better luck next year I guess. I didn’t want to hang out past 8am if there wasn’t any food or drink. REI was there, but no freebies. Nando’s was giving away free bottles of Peri-Peri sauce ’cause obviously I can use that while bike commuting. At least it wasn’t raining.

It sounds like they just weren’t quite ready yet when you got there. I rolled up just after 8, and by that point they had cold cans of the La Colombe draft lattes (in a bucket of ice), a tray of muffins/crossiants, REI handing out stickers and water bottles, Moe’s handing out bags of chips and guac (for folks to take to work for lunch?), plus the Nando’s freebies (in addition to the hot sauce, they had coupons for a free lunch, a little container of roasted nuts, and all of it was packed in a helmet cover). Definitely seemed a few notches lower than last year’s festivities.

Steve O
    Participant

@bobco85 160366 wrote:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14812[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14813[/ATTACH]

I am quite certain I participated in at least 1-2 BTWDs in the 90’s but I have no physical evidence. My oldest shirt is 2002.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@Harry Meatmotor 160348 wrote:

Nando’s was giving away free bottles of Peri-Peri sauce ’cause obviously I can use that while bike commuting. At least it wasn’t raining.

Sauce: duh, squirt that at chasing dogs.
    Rain: I like what rain does for my BTWD raffle odds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.