Bike shops

Our Community Forums General Discussion Bike shops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    lmgoldberg
    Participant

I need to find out more about what are my rights when I bring a bike into a shop for repairs. I brought my bike into a shop with a fairly minor issue that would have to be addressed eventually but wasn’t urgent. In trying to replace the parts, various screws/nuts were found to be corroded and broken off. Now reassembly is impossible unless I spend several hundred dollars for additional new parts. If nothing is done, the bike is not at all functional. The bike is also old and not worth putting more money into, but was functional and when new was a fairly high-end road bike.

any advice?

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Just to clarify, are you saying that the shop broke off the screws/nuts while trying to fix your bike?

What were the fairly minor issues you took it in for?

rcannon100
    Participant

The answer is going to depend on jurisdiction. You may wish to consult with an attorney. In the alternative, jurisdictions frequently have consumer protection offices. [http://www.ag.virginia.gov/Consumer%20Protection/ This is Virginia’s]. In addition, you may wish to share your experience with review sites such as Yelp, Angie’s list, and others.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Also, no need to cross post. You got the thread going here.

lmgoldberg
    Participant

Bike shop is in DC.

Brought bike in because brakes were not releasing right away once in a while. Maybe a couple times over a 50 mile ride. Annoying but not a big deal. Turns out the brake was corroded and the main screw was fused to the fork. Not the bike shops fault I realize, but they broke it off and now it can’t be put together and I have to buy a new fork for the bike to be functional. I would have lived with the problem. The bike isn’t worth sinking another $400 into.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

A bike with faulty brakes isn’t a problem? Doesn’t sound safe over the long term nor does it sound completely functional, based on what you’ve posted so far.

If that’s the case, I think it would be very unfair to go after the bike shop. Especially over an old, unsafe bike when the shop didn’t cause that bike to become old or unsafe in the first place. Do you really want to be known as a hair-trigger plaintiff, like the infamous pants lawsuit guy?

UnknownCyclist
    Participant

It sounds like you should invest in an appropriate set of power tools.

dasgeh
    Participant

It doesn’t sound like a great case. You could spend money on a new bike (or fork) instead of a lawyer. If you don’t like that shop, you could spend your money at Phoenix bikes, which is an awesome non-profit, so the money goes to a good cause.

And if it makes you feel better, put yourself in the bike mechanics’ shoes. This guy shows up for work, starts working on a bike on a problem he thinks will be a quick fix and, bam, it all goes to shit, and the fork is toast. Customer is unhappy. He might not get paid for the time he put into it. And all because a bike owner didn’t take care of their bike in the first place. Doesn’t sound like his fault.

Henry
    Keymaster

@dasgeh 75493 wrote:

It doesn’t sound like a great case. You could spend money on a new bike (or fork) instead of a lawyer. If you don’t like that shop, you could spend your money at Phoenix bikes, which is an awesome non-profit, so the money goes to a good cause.

Thanks for the plug. We’d be happy to take a look and, assuming we have some forks that fit, I know we can replace them for well under $400. Well. Under.

That said, I can’t help but think this is a reason many high-end shops refuse to even touch older bikes that haven’t been well maintained.

Henry

consularrider
    Participant

@Henry 75524 wrote:

…That said, I can’t help but think this is a reason many high-end shops refuse to even touch older bikes that haven’t been well maintained.

Henry

Or even some that have been well maintained. I’ve been told by more than one shop they wouldn’t work on my 20 year old Raleigh because they didn’t want to risk messing up a part.

Terpfan
    Participant

If they broke it by gross negligence and it was some part totally away from what you brought in to get fixed, I would say sure, go after them. But in this case, they went to where you said there was a problem and just getting there determined it was bigger. Not much you can do except either buy a new bike, do the repair at Phoenix or one of the co-ops that will help you do it youself, or ask them to forgive that previous repair cost if you install a new one using them. While it doesn’t sound bad to you, the rule of thumb should be Murphy’s Law so that you will be going downhill at 30mph when suddenly you have no brakes, a red light and a crowded street. In that sense, you’re lucky and it was wise to take it in.

It’s all about the context. I’ve definitely taken my bike in for a tuneup and they noticed a very small fracture line in my wheel. Expensive? Sure, but I would rather they find it at that time than I find it on the road later.

Greenbelt
    Participant

@consularrider 75525 wrote:

Or even some that have been well maintained. I’ve been told by more than one shop they wouldn’t work on my 20 year old Raleigh because they didn’t want to risk messing up a part.

And then there are some shops that sort of sub-specialize in trying to keep vintage or unusual bikes on the road (hint: Ben)!

off2ride
    Participant

If the bike shop had told you that things might break or perhaps there might be some issues while servicing it because the bike is old, and if you authorized it, then that’s your expense.

mattotoole
    Participant

Take it to Henry (Phoenix). Or Velocity (Christian).

Afterward, take it apart, clean and re-grease every so often so it doesn’t get “fused” again.

lmgoldberg
    Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone. I may have given the wrong impression: I was not looking to sue anyone. I like the shop and it is hardly worth the money and I don’t want to be that guy. However, the bike was in need of adjustment but functional when I brought it in. Now I got nothing. Brakes weren’t unfunctional or in danger of failing, just sticky. But even under the best conditions, the bike had maybe one more year left. Certainly got plenty of miles out of it. Just wasn’t planning on spending $2500 for that caliber bike right now.

thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.