Best Urban Bike Ever?

Our Community Forums General Discussion Best Urban Bike Ever?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

We’ve got a serious contender….

[video=vimeo;101883999]http://vimeo.com/101883999[/video]

Belt drive
    Internal hub
    Integrated, innovative handlebar “lock” – whoa.
    Minimal fenders, with little dragging brush thingie
    Front rack
    Intergrated front/rear lights
    Turn signals
    E-assist

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/building-the-perfect-urban-bike?cid=socBL_20140806_29171456

jnva
    Participant

You had me at handlebar lock, lost me at minimal fenders.

Henry
    Keymaster

@Tim Kelley 92049 wrote:

We’ve got a serious contender….

[video=vimeo;101883999]http://vimeo.com/101883999[/video]

Belt drive
    Internal hub
    Minimal fenders, with little dragging brush thingie
    Front rack
    Intergrated front/rear lights
    Turn signals
    E-assist

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/building-the-perfect-urban-bike?cid=socBL_20140806_29171456

From the blog: “No price has been announced yet, but it’ll likely be a bit more than your average skratched and dented singlespeed.” Any guesses? More than $1,500?

Tim Kelley
    Participant

@Henry 92056 wrote:

From the blog: “No price has been announced yet, but it’ll likely be a bit more than your average skratched and dented singlespeed.” Any guesses? More than $1,500?

$3K+? E-assist probably makes it pretty pricey.

vvill
    Participant

Some really nice design concepts there. Would ride.

n18
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 92049 wrote:

Unfortunately, that will not prevent thieves from tossing the whole thing in a van, then break the lock later.

dplasters
    Participant

@n18 92073 wrote:

Unfortunately, that will not prevent thieves from tossing the whole thing in a van, then break the lock later.

But then you wouldn’t have a handle bar for the bike you just stole, and assuming you locked the bike to something throwing it into a van would seem difficult… so i’m confused.

I didn’t vote for this bike because of the (presumed) cost. Its going to be stupid expensive. Drop the e-assist and the minimal fender and try to get it in under 1k and it could really be something.

Steve
    Participant

@dplasters 92085 wrote:

But then you wouldn’t have a handle bar for the bike you just stole, and assuming you locked the bike to something throwing it into a van would seem difficult… so i’m confused.

My guess is he didn’t actually watch the video, just read the description, and assumed it was like a lock-out type function, or that the handlebar locked back onto the bike, not realizing that it is actual an integrated/removeable u-lock.

I’ve always thought that the fork/stem should lock in a turned position, much like a scooter does, but again, you’d still have to u-lock it to something.

I’d also probably like lockable quick releases on the wheels, if possible, or, as I’ve often thought, some sort of bridge type lock (as part of the frame) that could swing thru the wheel when locked, making it no longer removeable.

peterw_diy
    Participant

Puddle protection: sucks.

Rear rack: no mounts.

Front rack: can’t hang panniers. No sides means can’t just put something there (it’s not a basket). Frame mounted means you can’t carry anything tall (envision handlebar turning).

Handlebar lock: certain to develop rattle.

No wheelskirt or easy way to mount one: women and Scots must wear Lycra kit, not street clothes.

Horizontal top tube: more trouble for folks in skirts (though without any rear cargo capacity, no roundhouse worries).

The front gear platform really gets me. It combines the worst aspects of both front baskets and rear racks.

I like the integrated lights, but that just makes me think how much more sensible it would be to just put an Abus ring lock on a CaBi Bixi and call it a day.

peterw_diy
    Participant
    n18
    Participant

@Steve 92088 wrote:

My guess is he didn’t actually watch the video, just read the description, and assumed it was like a lock-out type function, or that the handlebar locked back onto the bike, not realizing that it is actual an integrated/removeable u-lock.

No, I didn’t watch the video, but after seeing it, it only takes minutes to saw off the lock.

dasgeh
    Participant

@n18 92118 wrote:

No, I didn’t watch the video, but after seeing it, it only takes minutes to saw off the lock.

But you wouldn’t have handlebars. I think the weird factor would make it less attractive to thieves.

OTOH, I agree that the lack of mounts for fenders and rack is disappointing. Otherwise, I love the bike.

DismalScientist
    Participant

As long as they have E-Assist, why not have an electric ass warmer if the temperature gets below 60 degrees?:rolleyes:

jnva
    Participant

@DismalScientist 92152 wrote:

As long as they have E-Assist, why not have an electric ass warmer if the temperature gets below 60 degrees?:rolleyes:

Easily done. I would rather have a face warmer though.

mstone
    Participant

My ass is sufficiently insulated, thankyouverymuch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.