Best route from Vienna to Carlyle in Alexandria

Our Community Forums Bike to Work Day Archives Bike to Work Day 2012 Best route from Vienna to Carlyle in Alexandria

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    larryk
    Participant

Anyone going this way?

chris_s
    Participant

My recommendation: http://g.co/maps/zw2fq

Others may suggest staying on Four Mile Run all the way to the Mt Vernon Trail and taking that south – I prefer Commonwealth Ave as it is more direct. It’s got bike lanes for about 70% of it and sharrows elsewhere – traffic is fairly slow and used to cyclists -I’ve been commuting on it for two years and have been honked at on it only once.

baiskeli
    Participant

@chris_s 19800 wrote:

My recommendation: http://g.co/maps/zw2fq

Others may suggest staying on Four Mile Run all the way to the Mt Vernon Trail and taking that south – I prefer Commonwealth Ave as it is more direct. It’s got bike lanes for about 70% of it and sharrows elsewhere – traffic is fairly slow and used to cyclists -I’ve been commuting on it for two years and have been honked at on it only once.

I second this. I used to live on Commonwealth Ave.

JorgeGortex
    Participant

Yup. Thirded ;-) I take W&OD to 4 Mile run. Loop up and over Four Mile run next to Rt. 1 and then up Common Wealth all the way to Carlyle. I work at the USPTO there off Duke. If you look at my map of the route, you will see a funny dog leg near the Duke St. Metro. there is actually a little spur of road with a traffic light that will take you across into the Metro parking lot (google would not lay the route straight across through the light). I find it easier when going to wait at this light, cross King, and into the Metro lot than navigating the mess of streets. Coming back you have not alternative if you are riding through this area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Washington+and+Old+Dominion+Trail&daddr=38.8431689,-77.08186+to:38.843572,-77.06035+to:38.80901,-77.06065+to:38.80711,-77.0599+to:38.80711,-77.0599+to:38.8068601,-77.0602332+to:38.8065267,-77.0601843+to:John+Carlyle+St&hl=en&ll=38.805855,-77.060187&spn=0.010484,0.017252&sll=38.878272,-77.132671&sspn=0.010474,0.017252&geocode=FYY_UQIdfPRm-w%3BFSCzUAId_NJn-yk1THoTSbG3iTEJYwLA4PZg2Q%3BFbS0UAIdAido-ylpSRc3KrG3iTGLdUlGf3SSfg%3BFbItUAId1iVo-ymhau8XAbG3iTGaqlftPFMgbA%3BFUYmUAIdxCho-ylbtP-NALG3iTF8O5uanWARUQ%3BFUYmUAIdxCho-ylbtP-NALG3iTF8O5uanWARUQ%3BFUwlUAIddydo-ykpHN-PALG3iTE72nsylRxO7w%3BFf4jUAIdqCdo-ylx3VueALG3iTEcLjS9ukNvOw%3BFZsaUAIdGSJo-w&oq=Duke+Street&dirflg=b&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=16&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&t=m&z=16&lci=bike

I’ll be out riding, taking this route, tomorrow morning for the first time in awhile. Have miss commuting via bike! Have fun with your ride.

G.

chris_s
    Participant

JorgeGortex, if you pop across at Mt. Vernon Avenue and switch to the Alexandria side of the Four Mile Run trail then cut through the parking lot between the ball fields it saves about 2 minutes vs going all the way over to the Route 1 bridge :) (see my route map if you want detail)

JorgeGortex
    Participant

@chris_s 19864 wrote:

JorgeGortex, if you pop across at Mt. Vernon Avenue and switch to the Alexandria side of the Four Mile Run trail then cut through the parking lot between the ball fields it saves about 2 minutes vs going all the way over to the Route 1 bridge :) (see my route map if you want detail)

Good suggestion Chris. I’ve been this way before as well. I remember the first time I took it I got a little confused and ended up going through some other neighborhood instead of popping out onto Commonwealth where I wanted. Hence my suggestion of my route for someone new to the route. Its a few simple turns and easy to track where you are. Thanks for sharing! See ya out there.

chris_s
    Participant

@larryk 19843 wrote:

Thank you both. Do you think taking Commonwealth off of the 4 Mile Run Trail is quicker than taking trail to King St. to Dawes Ave. to the Holmes Run Trail to Eis. Ave?

Not sure which would be faster, but would definitely warn you that getting from the trail to Dawes Ave may be dicey – King Street is basically a highway in that area. I know parts of the Holmes Run Trail are prone to flooding and parts are unpaved – not sure which parts so you’ll want to double check that if you aren’t familiar with that stretch. Perhaps someone else can speak to that.

JorgeGortex
    Participant

@chris_s 19867 wrote:

Not sure which would be faster, but would definitely warn you that getting from the trail to Dawes Ave may be dicey – King Street is basically a highway in that area. I know parts of the Holmes Run Trail are prone to flooding and parts are unpaved – not sure which parts so you’ll want to double check that if you aren’t familiar with that stretch. Perhaps someone else can speak to that.

I agree with Chris. The route that we have both suggested, more or less, is the safest way to travel. I got pretty comfortable riding along Commonwealth after a trip or two. I just keep my eyes up and make contact with as many drivers as possible. Crossing Mt. Vernon Ave. might be the only other confusing spot on the route as you have to watch and patient to go with the correct lights. Headed towards Carlyle, at this intersection, the oncoming traffic gets the light before your side does. Your instinct is to go as soon as you see movement of cars, so just be aware here. Otherwise, piece of cake.

chris_s
    Participant

@JorgeGortex 19866 wrote:

Good suggestion Chris. I’ve been this way before as well. I remember the first time I took it I got a little confused and ended up going through some other neighborhood instead of popping out onto Commonwealth where I wanted. Hence my suggestion of my route for someone new to the route. Its a few simple turns and easy to track where you are. Thanks for sharing! See ya out there.

Good point – coming across the Route 1 bridge is definitely more straightforward – it’s how I started out as well.

Guess we’ll find out tomorrow if the Carlyle Pit Stop is any good!

JorgeGortex
    Participant

@chris_s 19872 wrote:

Good point – coming across the Route 1 bridge is definitely more straightforward – it’s how I started out as well.

Guess we’ll find out tomorrow if the Carlyle Pit Stop is any good!

For what its worth they were putting up tents in the “stadium” area of the circle. Lot of people bike into the PTO. I hope its a good crowd there tomorrow to remind everyone that biking is an important and useful mode of transport to and from the area.

larryk
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestions. Hooked up with nice rider and we popped off trail onto Mt. Vernon Av. to Commonwealth. It was a great day and ride.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.