BAFS 2020 Pointless Prizes: Loopy for Arlington

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition BAFS 2020 Pointless Prizes: Loopy for Arlington

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    bentbike33
    Participant

I will once again be awarding the Loopy for Arlington Pointless Prizes for completing the most Arlington Loops (for the uninitiated: the Arlington Loop consists of the W&OD Trail from the Custis intersection to its eastern terminus, 4-Mile Run Trail from Shirlington Rd. to its eastern terminus, the MVT from DCA to its northern terminus at Roosevelt Island, and the whole Custis trail). There will be 3 prizes: Most Clockwise Loops (for those who need to unwind), Most Counter-Clockwise Loops (for those who need to get wound up), and Most Matching Loops (for those seeking balance in life, or who simply like to go both ways).

How do you play?

Unlike Hains Point laps, the Arlington Loop can actually get you to useful places, therefor the game is designed so you don’t have to literally ride the entire trail route to count a completed loop, and you don’t have to do a complete loop in a single ride, or even a single day, either (for example, you can do half the loop on your morning commute, and the other half on your evening commute the next day). A loop is counted each time you collect all of the short segments located near the trail intersection points. So collect loops while coffeeneuring, beerneuring, doughneuring, or errendneuring. Since the Rosslyn trail construction is largely complete, the segments there and at the north end of the MVT are back in (pending ice development of MVT). Note changes to some segments from last year below.

For a clockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCW1 (Moved to between Harrison and George Mason because of the detour around the closed I-66 underpass)
    ArLoopCW2
    ArLoopCW3
    ArLoopCW4
    ArLoopCW5
    ArLoopCW6
    ArLoopCW7 (Moved to between Walter Reed and George Mason to enable more route choices for those leaving HDCC)
    ArLoopCW8

For a counterclockwise loop, collect these Strava segments:

ArLoopCCW1
    ArLoopCCW2 (Moved to between George Mason and Walter Reed to enable more route choices for those going to HDCC)
    ArLoopCCW3
    ArLoopCCW4
    ArLoopCCW5
    ArLoopCCW6
    ArLoopCCW7
    ArLoopCCW8 (Moved to between George Mason and Harrison because of the detour around the closed I-66 underpass)

Note that many of the segments have been flagged as hazardous in Strava by people wishing to protect their KOMs, I assume. If you don’t see a segment you expect on your ride, click the button to “show hidden efforts”.

The prizes will be, of course, specially inscribed commemorative boxes of Froot Loops (TM).

The FS Web Gurus are working feverishly to add a leaderboard for these prizes. So I have to stop altering the segments.

josh
    Participant

Once the leaderboard’s there it doesn’t matter, and I can probably find the segment IDs from the repo between now and then, but do you have segment IDs? Would prefer to look them up by ID rather than use Strava’s poor segment search/explore feature.

(will these be my coffee rides for 2020?)

bentbike33
    Participant

@josh 194709 wrote:

Once the leaderboard’s there it doesn’t matter, and I can probably find the segment IDs from the repo between now and then, but do you have segment IDs? Would prefer to look them up by ID rather than use Strava’s poor segment search/explore feature.

(will these be my coffee rides for 2020?)

Here you go.

Segment Name Segment Number
    ArLoopCCW1 13943476
    ArLoopCCW2 22382559
    ArLoopCCW3 14143039
    ArLoopCCW4 14149112
    ArLoopCCW5 13943521
    ArLoopCCW6 13943546
    ArLoopCCW7 13943556
    ArLoopCCW8 22395389
    ArLoopCW1 22395425
    ArLoopCW2 13943716
    ArLoopCW3 13943733
    ArLoopCW4 13943744
    ArLoopCW5 13943752
    ArLoopCW6 13943762
    ArLoopCW7 22382566
    ArLoopCW8 13943773

Brandon
    Participant

I just wanted to highlight that there might be something wrong with the data pull and/or leaderboard. It’s not displaying any of my CCW loops and the whole counts seem to be low in general.

bentbike33
    Participant

@Brandon 196466 wrote:

I just wanted to highlight that there might be something wrong with the data pull and/or leaderboard. It’s not displaying any of my CCW loops and the whole counts seem to be low in general.

I was wondering about that. The leaderboard has all of the loops I’ve done, but does not seem to be picking up others’. Are all 8 segments showing up in your Loop rides?

DCAKen
    Participant

This might be the same bug that’s affecting the Poggio counter.

Brandon
    Participant

@bentbike33 196473 wrote:

I was wondering about that. The leaderboard has all of the loops I’ve done, but does not seem to be picking up others’. Are all 8 segments showing up in your Loop rides?

Yes they are. Just checked my commute this morning and hidden efforts showed Arloopccw’s 1-5 as it should.

bentbike33
    Participant

@Brandon 196488 wrote:

Yes they are. Just checked my commute this morning and hidden efforts showed Arloopccw’s 1-5 as it should.

Just checking that 1-5 is a typo, and you meant 1-8.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@bentbike33 196473 wrote:

So I’ve done a few Counter clockwise loops and it’s not counting the…I checked my segment count and I do have 8 on all my loop rides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChristoB50
    Participant

Not enrolled on a BAFS team this year — so, no techie bug to report here…
    Just sharing my excitement at completing my first Arlington Loop of 2020, this past Saturday, after quite a bit of slacking off biking since early Nov.
    (My most recent ArlLoop was back in late Sept!)

CBGanimal
    Participant

I’m still way off on my loopy counter clockwise loops…I’m sure I have about 10 and it’s only showing 3…maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bentbike33
    Participant

@CBGanimal 196834 wrote:

I’m still way off on my loopy counter clockwise loops…I’m sure I have about 10 and it’s only showing 3…maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If all 8 segments show up in your rides, your doing it right, but the leaderboard is not picking them up well for anyone but me, it seems. Maybe try “starring” the ArLoop segments on the Strava web site?

obscurerichard
    Participant

We are investigating the issue. It might be that we are not getting all the segments as expected, and might need to adjust our sync strategy some.

Steve O
    Participant

@CBGanimal 196834 wrote:

…maybe I’m doing something wrong?

There’s no doubt about that.

obscurerichard
    Participant

Could folks double-check their Loopy rankings now please? We’ve fixed some of the synchronization issues that had freezingsaddles.org showing fewer segments than were reported in Strava.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.