“Away” ride recommendations — NYC and Pinehurst, NC

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition “Away” ride recommendations — NYC and Pinehurst, NC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    T_Pain
    Participant

Hi Freezing Saddlers — I’m traveling this month and want to make sure I can get rides in while I’m away. Any recommendations for:

-low-stress streets in NYC (presumably on a Citi bike—not bringing my own with me)

-quiet, safe country roads in Pinehurst/Southern Pines, North Carolina?

thanks!

Tara

consularrider
    Participant

Central Park laps (6 mile closed traffic loop) in Manhattan or Prospect Park laps (4 mile closed traffic loop) in Brooklyn are low stress in the big city.  Ride the Hudson River Greenway on the West Side, it runs from Battery Park on the southern tip all the way to the Spuyten Duyvil on the north tip.  Lots and lots of bike lanes, but in many areas those are loaded with delivery bikes zooming in and out and too many wrong way riders.

T_Pain
    Participant

Super helpful, thanks 🙏

Judd
    Participant

I’ll offer a second. I really enjoyed Central Park and the Hudson River Greenway during a trip there in 2016. I also really enjoyed riding around on the bike lanes in Manhattan but I was there before most of the delivery guys had e-bikes.

Battery Park offers a nice view of the Statue of Liberty and is also a few blocks away from the Wall Street Bull and the 9/11 Memorial at the World Trade Center which are both worth a visit.

Central Park laps (6 mile closed traffic loop) in Manhattan or Prospect Park laps (4 mile closed traffic loop) in Brooklyn are low stress in the big city. Ride the Hudson River Greenway on the West Side, it runs from Battery Park on the southern tip all the way to the Spuyten Duyvil on the north tip. Lots and lots of bike lanes, but in many areas those are loaded with delivery bikes zooming in and out and too many wrong way riders.

accordioneur
    Participant

If you would like to ride the oldest dedicated bike path in the United States, take a ride down Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn. At the bike path’s southern end, stroll the Coney Island boardwalk and get a hot dog at the original Nathan’s Famous (bikes allowed on the boardwalk only 5 – 10 AM).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.