Arlington MTP Bike Element Update

Our Community Forums Arlington MTP Bike Elements Update Arlington MTP Bike Element Update

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Forum users:

Arlington County is in the process of updating the Bicycle Element of its Master Transportation Plan (MTP). The County Manager has appointed a working group of community members to assist County staff in outreach, draft plan review and other aspects of updating the plan.

The plan update will incorporate input from people with a wide range of abilities and backgrounds from civic and business organizations. The wealth of expertise held by County staff and community members will improve mobility, safety, comfort and convenience for bicyclists and expand its attractiveness of getting around Arlington for people of all ages and interests.

The working group has held two meetings so far. County staff and working group members have introduced themselves, presented a proposed plan for public engagement, discussed the plan development process and identified key policy items that they would like to have included in the plan. The plan update is to proceed in two stages beginning with the development of a policy framework. Upon endorsement of the policy framework by the County Board and advisory commissions, the planning effort will focus upon implementation measures including the identification of a network of bicycle facilities.

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 27 at 7 p.m. – Courthouse Plaza (Azalea conference room – lobby level). All working group meetings are open to the public and residents are encouraged to attend! Meeting agenda items for July 27 include: review of a preliminary draft of the plan’s framework and identification of upcoming public outreach activities.

Stay connected — Please visit our project page and sign up to receive Bike Element Plan email updates. Updates like these will be sent out periodically and will include meeting information and announcements, upcoming community engagement efforts and more ways to stay involved.

A county project web page has been created here.

Henry

dasgeh
    Participant

The Bike Element working group is moving onto Phase II, which will focus on what to build where. The first step is public outreach — there’s a survey open until June 29, and events and workshops to give in-person feedback:

— May 23, Lee Harrison 5:30pm-7:30pm
    — May 29, Shirlington Village Library Yappy Hour 5-7pm
    — May 30, Crystal City Metro, 4:30pm-6:30pm

Public Workshops
    — June 2, Arlington Mill CC 2-4:30pm
    — June 4, Navy League Building in Courthouse 4:30-7:30pm (**BAC meeting will start after this in 2100 Clarendon, 1 block away**)

PLEASE take the survey. The map at the end isn’t the most user friendly, but it would be SUPER helpful if you could put in as many points of improvement as possible.

Judd
    Participant

@dasgeh 178526 wrote:

The Bike Element working group is moving onto Phase II, which will focus on what to build where. The first step is public outreach — there’s a survey open until June 29, and events and workshops to give in-person feedback:

— May 23, Lee Harrison 5:30pm-7:30pm
    — May 29, Shirlington Village Library Yappy Hour 5-7pm
    — May 30, Crystal City Metro, 4:30pm-6:30pm

Public Workshops
    — June 2, Arlington Mill CC 2-4:30pm
    — June 4, Navy League Building in Courthouse 4:30-7:30pm (**BAC meeting will start after this in 2100 Clarendon, 1 block away**)

PLEASE take the survey. The map at the end isn’t the most user friendly, but it would be SUPER helpful if you could put in as many points of improvement as possible.

I took the survey and shared on Twitter. I have placed ten pins on the map and I’m just getting started. I think the map is okay. I wish I could read the comments left my others though.

Steve O
    Participant

@Henry 162959 wrote:

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 27 at 7 p.m. –

I tried to put this in my calendar, but struggled:
    July 27 is a Friday
    June 27 is a Wednesday

chris_s
    Participant

@Judd 178529 wrote:

I wish I could read the comments left my others though.

So…you can. You can’t vote them up or anything, but see that grey arrow at the bottom of the screen? That’ll bring up a table view of everyone’s comments. If you leave “filter by map extent” then it will only show you comments that are showing in the map view as currently zoomed.

othercomments.png

Judd
    Participant

@chris_s 178566 wrote:

So…you can. You can’t vote them up or anything, but see that grey arrow at the bottom of the screen? That’ll bring up a table view of everyone’s comments. If you leave “filter by map extent” then it will only show you comments that are showing in the map view as currently zoomed.

othercomments.png

Thanks! That seems like a non-intuitive user interface. I’ll have to let Mark Blacknell know. He found a work around that involved starting a new comment and clicking to edit it which then allowed clicking on individual markers.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Judd 178570 wrote:

Thanks! That seems like a non-intuitive user interface. I’ll have to let Mark Blacknell know. He found a work around that involved starting a new comment and clicking to edit it which then allowed clicking on individual markers.

So this interface isn’t great, but it’s not directly the fault of the County staff working on the update. The good news is that a comment saves as soon as you add it. So you can keep adding comments over time.

Judd
    Participant

@dasgeh 178572 wrote:

So this interface isn’t great, but it’s not directly the fault of the County staff working on the update. The good news is that a comment saves as soon as you add it. So you can keep the add comments over time.

I also like that you can go back to the map independent of the survey to add additional points. I’m sure that I’ll come across something during the survey timeframe that I didn’t think about yesterday.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.