Are the roads/trails you use clear of snow?

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Are the roads/trails you use clear of snow?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

I have a pretty easy commute to work from Ballston to Rosslyn along Wilson Blvd. As of Monday (2/1/10) the bike lane was a little slushy, but riding in the road was clear.

I bet the trails are pretty sloppy–can anyone verify?

Unregistered

Wherever the Custis is in shade the conditions are nearly impassable. Had to ride on the “grass” or walk in several places this morning. Bad spots include from Rosslyn’s Air Force Assn. up past Scott St. to I-66, then a brief break followed by bad conditions on the entire stretch along I-66 to Lyon Village, where I leave the trail. Roosevelt Bridge was mostly OK this morning, but the footbridge from Rosslyn over the GW Parkway was very bumpy packed snow.

There have been a few times when Arlington was able to plow the Custis after a snow storm, and those were very much appreciated. If plowing were possible after this weekend’s predicted blizzard it would add a week or more use to the trail.

Chris Eatough
    Participant

Yes, the conditions are tricky today on DC and Arlington trails.
    I rode in this morning on Capital Crescent Trail.
    It was rideable with mountain bike tires, but only just.
    The path worn by walkers could be followed.
    Biker tracks were slippery ruts.
    At least it was below freezing, so the snow was firm.
    It will probably be a little slippery on the way home today.
    Tomorrows snowstorm is going to hit the trails hard.
    Snow ploughing the trails would be great, but the snow removal crews are going to have their hands full with the roads, and everyone’s snow removal budgets are already blown for the winter.
    Can anyone remember a winter with this much snow in this area?
    If we get anywhere close to the 20 inches of snow that is forecast, we will be well over 50 inches in the last 2 months!

Scottrick

Regarding whether we are setting a record for snow fall this year, the WaPo’s article yesterday on the area’s snowfall reported that the 48 inches in the winter of ’96 was the most in the past 30 years (I think I’m remembering the figures correctly).

Tim Kelley
    Participant

I got word from the Parks and Trails manager about clearing local trails:

“There is no plan to clear any trail at this time. All resources are dedicated to street clearing. Streets are the first priority for emergency vehicle access and so residents can get out of their homes for necessities. Additional snow is on the way and it will be several weeks until snow gets cleared at other locations. If weather becomes favorable, it will help us.”

I’ve seen lots of pictures of trail users out on cross country skis–at least if we bikers can’t use it, I’m glad some people are getting exercise and enjoyment out of it!

Unregistered

As we wait for the next onslaught I wonder if Hains point roads got plowed. I’d like to do a run there. Also, if already plowed, I’m hoping that by Thursday night they’ll be clear for a ride.

Tim Kelley
    Participant

It’s likely that Hains Point hasn’t gotten plowed since the last storm, usually it takes them awhile to get down there and judging by the state of DC roads it may be a couple weeks–can anyone confirm?

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Here’s a picture of the Capital Crescent trail: http://washcycle.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345198c369e20128777941fa970c-popup via The WashCycle.

Unregistered

I’d like to. But help, I’m going to get fat!

Since federal worker subsidies for commuting don’t apply to cyclists who turn to metro only after this type of severe weather, it is plausible to state that cyclists are by far the least appreciated but actually the most environmentally effective commuters.

I’m guessing it will be at least 2 weeks before I can commute by bike safely again. snif.

Unregistered

As I was forced to drive into DC this morning, I caught a longing glimpse of the Custis trail as it runs next to 29 and over I-66 coming into Rosslyn. I was horrified to see that all the snow from the road had been dumped onto the trail and it is now under a giant, dirty 6 foot snow bank! Can’t a cyclist get any respect around here? I fear it will be June before that huge pile melts!

What’s the average amount of weight a cyclist during a winter storm and its aftermath?

Unregistered

@Tim Kelley 141 wrote:

It’s likely that Hains Point hasn’t gotten plowed since the last storm, usually it takes them awhile to get down there and judging by the state of DC roads it may be a couple weeks–can anyone confirm?

Is it possible that the upkeep of Hains Point is controlled by the National Park Service and not the DC government (and therefore a better chance that it has been cleared)?

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Here’s what I have on Hains Point from twitter:

“Hains Point is barely plowed. I wouldn’t even classify it as plowed. #dctrails”

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Here’s a picture of Hains Point taken today: http://tweetphoto.com/11693890

(Taken here)

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Here’s something that came over the Bicycle Advisory Committee mailing list:

“None of the sections of the custis trail, bluemont junction, fairfax ave connector, or wod in the bluemont area have been cleared. All are iced over now.”

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Here are a few pictures taken recently of sections of the Custis trail:

[ATTACH]106[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]107[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]108[/ATTACH]
    (Click to enlarge)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • The topic ‘Are the roads/trails you use clear of snow?’ is closed to new replies.