Another Garmin malfunction question

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Another Garmin malfunction question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lordofthemark
    Participant

I have a Garmin Edge Explore (graciously handed down by my friends). It has a tendency to freeze up – the screen remains on but it becomes unresponsive to touch or to the buttons. I try pressing the power off button, but that usually does not work – nothing can be done (and the ride cannot be completed) until the power drains completely. I cannot even tell how long that will be because the screen continues to show the power level when it froze. At first I thought this had to do with the cold, but it happens even on warmish days.

Anyone else experience this?

Sunyata
    Participant

To reset frozen Garmin devices, you normally just need to hold the power button for 10+ seconds.

Otherwise, toss it and buy a Wahoo Bolt. ;)

yayarat
    Participant

Alternatively, if you find you still have issues with your Garmin, Hammerhead is currently doing a deal where you trade in your current bike computer and take off $170 from a Karoo 2! It’s what I have and I really enjoy it. I know it’s not an answer to your question, but I thought I’d throw that out there if you find you want to change your computer.

randomduck
    Participant

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your Edge Explore.

If it’s the first generation model it is no longer supported by Garmin so any firmware updates would be dated. That said: make sure the computer’s firmware is as up-to-date as can be.

The next thing you’ll want to do is delete older activities from the computer. There’s a finite amount of storage space on older Garmins and when they get close to full they will often freeze, have read/write errors to memory, etc. So it’s good to regularly clear out older rides and activities to keep storage space open for the computer to use.

Otherwise the best bet may be to restore the unit to factory settings and carry on from there.

For what it’s worth: the newer generation Garmins have more storage space and faster chips. And while some folks tout Wahoo and Hammerhead as superior options, they’re not without their faults, either. It’s tech: it has issues.

lordofthemark
    Participant

This is helpful.

Fast response – yes I know about the power button. It often does not work to end the screen freeze.

I almost certainly need to clear space.

Thanks

Edit: I deleted a bunch of old rides last night, and it worked fine this AM. We shall see.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.