Alexandria Police Stepping Up Efforts Aimed At Pedestrian Safety

Our Community Forums Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) Alexandria Police Stepping Up Efforts Aimed At Pedestrian Safety

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CaseyKane50
    Participant

At Monday’s BPAC meeting, a representive from the Alexandria Police Department reported that the police have stepped up efforts aimed at pedestrian safety, with expanded coverage of areas where illegal turns and stop sign running threaten pedestrians. Drivers making illegal turns on Gibbon Street in South Old Town are a particular focus, as are both drivers and bike riders who put others at risk by blowing through stop signs in Del Ray (e.g. E. Bellefonte Avenue) and North Old Town (e.g. Madison Street).

Rootchopper
    Participant

N. Madison? That’s a new one.

Did anyone give any stats showing an increase in collisions with pedestrians?

Emm
    Participant

@CaseyKane50 126529 wrote:

At Monday’s BPAC meeting, a representive from the Alexandria Police Department reported that the police have stepped up efforts aimed at pedestrian safety, with expanded coverage of areas where illegal turns and stop sign running threaten pedestrians. Drivers making illegal turns on Gibbon Street in South Old Town are a particular focus, as are both drivers and bike riders who put others at risk by blowing through stop signs in Del Ray (e.g. E. Bellefonte Avenue) and North Old Town (e.g. Madison Street).

Now if only I could get them to monitor drivers blowing through the red light on Main Line Blvd when they turn right onto E. Monroe. I sent a click call connect request in for a new sign or police enforcement–I’m almost getting hit there weekly when drivers blow through the light without stopping or looking for joggers/cyclists.

If anyone else travels through that intersection, please request enforcement of the red light or a “no turn on red when pedestrians are present” sign. I’d like to live through my commute for awhile longer…

CaseyKane50
    Participant

@Rootchopper 126535 wrote:

Did anyone give any stats showing an increase in collisions with pedestrians?

No stats were provided. I believe that some of the step-up in enforcement is related to the fatal crash at Braddock and Commonwealth that killed a pedestrian in September. Citizen complaints probably also play a part.

Emm
    Participant

Official Release:

Alexandria Increases Traffic Safety Enforcement as Part of Regional “Street Smart” Campaign
    For Immediate Release: October 26, 2015
    In conjunction with the Fall 2015 “Street Smart” campaign, the Alexandria Police Department is conducting increased enforcement of traffic safety laws. The campaign is an annual public education, awareness and behavioral initiative to improve safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists in the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. region.

Officers from the Police Department’s Motor Unit will focus on busy locations such as the areas around Metrorail stations during rush hour and the Union Street corridor in Old Town. The goal of enforcement is to encourage safe walking, cycling and driving behavior for all users.

Officers will cite pedestrians for jaywalking and motorists and bicyclists for violations of the traffic code. These include:

• Running red lights and stop signs
    • Failure to obey a highway sign by blocking the crosswalk
    • Failure to yield right-of way-to pedestrians in crosswalks
    • Making improper turns into crosswalks
    • Failure to obey “No Turn On Red” signs, especially while pedestrians are present
    • Speeding

The regional Fall 2015 Street Smart campaign will launch with a news conference and kick-off event on Tuesday, October 27, 10:30 a.m., at Alexandria’s Market Square, 301 King St. The event is sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments and the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board.

Emm
    Participant

@Emm 126536 wrote:

Now if only I could get them to monitor drivers blowing through the red light on Main Line Blvd when they turn right onto E. Monroe. I sent a click call connect request in for a new sign or police enforcement–I’m almost getting hit there weekly when drivers blow through the light without stopping or looking for joggers/cyclists.

If anyone else travels through that intersection, please request enforcement of the red light or a “no turn on red when pedestrians are present” sign. I’d like to live through my commute for awhile longer…

Just spoke to Sgt Seckler who called in response to my click-call-connect request. Looks like they’ll be putting officers out there within the next week or two to monitor for cars (and bikes he made clear…) not stopping at the red light on Main Line Blvd. I have to appreciate their quick response. He made a joke about people in Alexandria thinking stop lights and stop signs are just suggestions since they have a ridiculously high rate of people running them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.