Alexandria BPAC Meeting – Monday, March 11, 2019 (New Location)

Our Community Forums Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) Alexandria BPAC Meeting – Monday, March 11, 2019 (New Location)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    CaseyKane50
    Participant

Please join us for the next Alexandria BPAC meeting at the Oswald Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron St, from 7 to 9 pm on Monday, March 11th. We will be joined by guest speakers: Katy Lang, Program Manager, WalkArlington; Emily Gage, Executive Director, Phoenix Bikes; and Champe Burnley, President, Virginia Bicycling Federation (VBF), as well as Lieutenant Mike May (APD) and Ms. Alex Carroll (City of Alexandria Complete Streets planner).

Additional agenda items include a report from our recently formed Events Subcommittee and a membership vote on whether BPAC should incorporate or seek 501(c)(3) status.

Agenda – Monday, March 11th 7 to 9 PM at the Oswald Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron St, Alexandria, VA 22314

1. Introductions and Welcome – Jim Durham, Chair
    2. Alexandria Police Liaison Discussions – Lieutenant Mike May

• Updates on recent crashes involving people walking and biking
    • Alexandria Police Traffic Safety initiatives

3. City of Alexandria Vision Zero and Complete Streets Program Updates – Alex Carroll

• Complete Streets project updates

4. Guest Speakers:

• Katy Lang, Program Manager, WalkArlington
    o Introduction to Walk Arlington’s education and encouragement programs o Lessons from Arlington’s success, for example,
    • One of only 15 communities recognized as a Gold Walk Friendly Community
    • There are 24 LAB-recognized Bicycle Friendly Businesses in Arlington
    • Emily Gage: Executive Director, Phoenix Bikes
    o Introduction to Phoenix Bikes o In what additional areas might Phoenix Bikes and BPAC partner to support each
    other’s mission?
    • Champe Burnley, President, Virginia Bicycling Federation (VBF)
    o Statewide advocacy initiatives past, present and future o What state-wide initiatives should VBF to focus on in the next two to three years?

5. Project updates

• BPAC Bike mentoring program: help distribute flyers and postcards — Josephine Liu
    • Bike Month Planning – Judd Isbell
    • BetterBikeShare grant awarded to Four Mile Run Park Conservancy with BPAC with Casa Chirilagua – Jim Durham

6. BPAC Business items

• Secretary’s report and minutes – Zack DesJardins
    • Financial Update & 2019 Dues Report – Treasurer, Erin Meter
    • Vote on whether BPAC should incorporate or seek 501(c)(3) status – Josephine Liu
    • Introduction to the new Events Subcommittee – Judd Isbell, (Acting) Chair
    • Additional Subcommittee Reports
    o Legislative and Policy subcommittee – Zack Desjardins, Chair
    o Education subcommittee – Eldon Boes
    o Communications – Andrea Kirk and Bob Trencheny Co-Chairs
    o Infrastructure subcommittee – Ken Notis, Chair
    • Join a subcommittee and/ sign-up to help at Spring Events (See separate sign-up sheet)

7. BPAC Strategic Action Implementation: Updates here: http://bit.ly/BPACActionPlan
    8. Public Comments/New Business:

Bike and Pedestrian Calendar – Please join us at one or more events!

• Thursday, March 14th 10 AM to 5:30 PM, 3rd annual Washington Region Vision Zero Summit, at the George Washington University Milken Institute for Public Health
    • Friday, March 15th and Saturday March 16th: 1⁄2 day Smart Cycling 101 classes available

• Friday, March 15th at the George Mason University (GMU) campus in Fairfax,
    • Saturday, March 16th at the GMU campus in Manassas

• Thursday, April 4th Mount Vernon and Cora Kelly Bike Rodeo, 5:30 to 7 PM, SunTrust Bank Parking lot, 2809 Mt. Vernon Avenue
    • Saturday, April 6th, Douglas MacArthur ES Bike Rodeo, 9:30 to 11 AM, 1101 Janneys Lane
    • Monday April 8th7 pm to 9 pm BPAC Monthly meeting, Oswald Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron St, Alexandria, VA 22314. Guest Speakers:

• Rachel M. Maisler, Chair, Washington DC Bicycle Advisory Council (tentative)
    • Gillian Burgess, Chair, Arlington Bicycle Advisory Council (invited)

• Saturday, April 13th Townes at Cameron Park Bike Rodeo, 10 AM to 11:30 AM, 101 Lake Cook Drive
    • Saturday, April 27th 10 am to 2 pm Earth Day, “Climate Change – Take Action”, at Lenny Harris Memorial Fields at Braddock Park, 1005 Mt. Vernon Ave.
    • Bike Rodeo with SSSAS Girl Scouts (10 AM to noon)
    • Earth Day Bike Ride(s)
    • Promote Bike Mentoring at the Earth Day BPAC –Alexandria Spokeswomen table

Looking Ahead

• May 2019, Bike To Work Month!
    • Two Three Bike Rodeos: May 5th (Mt. Jefferson Traffic Garden). May 11th (Samuel Tucker ES) and May 25th (Charles Barrett ES)
    • Memorial Day to Labor Day, 2019 – Six station Metro Shutdown: Braddock Road, King Street, Eisenhower Avenue, Huntington, Van Dorn Street and Franconia-Springfield.
    • June 2019: Two Bike Rodeos: June 7th (Polk ES) and June 8th (Matthew Maury ES)

Judd
    Participant

Packed house tonight at BPAC. Looked like we had close to 30 people there.

7bf40a16e549a35f8cf9406683806bc0.jpg

buschwacker
    Participant

I’m glad I showed up! And I think I’ve been roped in to join a subcommittee. Still glad I showed up!

lordofthemark
    Participant

@Judd 188540 wrote:

“So, the problem with bar mitts is, they make it harder to talk while I’m riding”

Judd
    Participant

@lordofthemark 188564 wrote:

“So, the problem with bar mitts is, they make it harder to talk while I’m riding”

We might need a “What’s Ken saying right now” caption contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd
    Participant

@buschwacker 188563 wrote:

I’m glad I showed up! And I think I’ve been roped in to join a subcommittee. Still glad I showed up!

Excellent! Which one did you sign up for? Also I don’t have your forum name connected to your real life name.

lordofthemark
    Participant

@lordofthemark 188564 wrote:

“So, the plan is, I will take a bag of baby carrots to the next complete streets outreach meeting and whenever a NIMBY starts talking I will start munching and just drown them out”

Steve O
    Participant

@lordofthemark 188567 wrote:

“So, the plan is, I will take a bag of baby carrots to the next complete streets outreach meeting and whenever a NIMBY starts talking I will start munching and just drown them out”

Those were, like, the freshest carrots on the planet. My left ear is still ringing.

Steve O
    Participant

@Judd 188540 wrote:

For those keeping score, lots of forum members. The two pony tails on the left belong to Emm and Komorebi, lordofthemark in the Crystal City jersey with Queen of the Mark to his right, bmif in the Conte’s shirt with the black jacket.
    Is buschwhacker in the picture? Also not pictured: Judd and Steve O.

ChristoB50
    Participant

@Steve O 188571 wrote:

For those keeping score, lots of forum members. The two pony tails on the left belong to Emm and Komorebi, lordofthemark in the Crystal City jersey with Queen of the Mark to his right, bmif in the Conte’s shirt with the black jacket.
    Is buschwhacker in the picture?
    Also not pictured: Judd and Steve O.

Also not pictured there — yours truly!

Judd
    Participant

@ChristoB50 188573 wrote:

Also not pictured there — yours truly!

Do you feel like two to three times cooler today?

ChristoB50
    Participant

Probably somewhere around 2.6 times cooler.

buschwacker
    Participant

@Steve O 188571 wrote:

Is buschwhacker in the picture? Also not pictured: Judd and Steve O.

I’m not pictured either but was in that corner in a black puffy jacket. Maybe you spotted me?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.