22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 — Helpful Video and Input Needed

Our Community Forums Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB) 22 Mile Trail Parallel to I-66 — Helpful Video and Input Needed

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Steve O
    Participant

@reji 167825 wrote:

I’m going on Monday. Anyone interested in caravaning there?

I think I will go, too.

reji
    Participant

For anyone wanting to convoy to Oakton on Monday, let’s meet at the East side of the Citizen’s Bridge in Falls Church at 6:15.

CBGanimal
    Participant

@reji 167997 wrote:

For anyone wanting to convoy to Oakton on Monday, let’s meet at the East side of the Citizen’s Bridge in Falls Church at 6:15.

Is that the bridge that crosses over route 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reji
    Participant

@CBGanimal 168002 wrote:

Is that the bridge that crosses over route 7?

Yes, that’s Citizens Bridge.

Judd
    Participant

Can you guys scope at the meeting whether they’ll be an easy on street route to bypass the interstate segment? And maybe suggest that those objecting to a trail “in their backyard” are really going to hate people riding in front of their house more.

mstone
    Participant

@Judd 168053 wrote:

Can you guys scope at the meeting whether they’ll be an easy on street route to bypass the interstate segment?

No, that’s why the trail is so important; VDOT has been busily “making the roads more efficient”, so you’ve got through options like route 29 or route 50 and that’s about it.

DrP
    Participant

Well, just got a note about the new bike trail. They didn’t really listen:

BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN TRAIL UPDATE

The Transform 66 Project includes 11 miles of new shared use trail along I-66 that will tie into existing trail systems. This includes new or expanded bicycle and pedestrian facilities on 11 bridges. Additional trail sections will be built as part of the project in coordination with VDOT and local governments.

As a result of feedback from bicycling advocates and surrounding communities, recent design changes incorporate a taller, 50-inch-high concrete barrier to separate the shared use path when it is on the highway side of the noise wall. This is similar to the barrier that separates the trail from the roadway on the Capital Beltway’s Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

So, not the Alexandria portion of the bridge, with the sound wall. Still won’t make me feel good if this is over large distances. AND IT IS STILL ALL ON THE HIGHWAY SIDE OF THE SOUND BARRIER. Sigh. Lungs and ears beware.

mstone
    Participant

I still think it’s an unsubtle plan to eventually replace the pedestrian facilities with another lane due to low usage. The main objection to the bigger concrete barrier is that it will be harder to rip out later.

VikingMariner
    Participant

I plan to get high on the pollution and noise from fast cars. Also looking forward to any debris that comes flying across that 50-inch wall. That should keep my ninja skills razor sharp. Fun times.

Actually there’s no way I’m riding on that route. It’s ridiculous poor planning. If you want to know what it will be like, cross the Wilson Bridge and then picture yourself doing 9 more miles like that without the effect of the usual river breeze.

huskerdont
    Participant

“Can’t wait to take the dog for a jog on this new multi-use path” are words you won’t be hearing.

Complete joke of a design that will be little used and will be converted to a car travel lane eventually with the non-use cited as the reason.

zsionakides
    Participant

@huskerdont 182397 wrote:

“Can’t wait to take the dog for a jog on this new multi-use path” are words you won’t be hearing.

Complete joke of a design that will be little used and will be converted to a car travel lane eventually with the non-use cited as the reason.

I would rather go jogging on this with long uninterrupted stretches than on sidewalks or places with crossings and lights to deal with, even with it being next to the highway. The MVT and Custis trails are next to highways in spots and that doesn’t discourage use. The WWB trail sees plenty of usage on a regular basis and it doesn’t connect to much on the MD side. The main thing I see that will drive use on this trail is how well it connects to other bicycle facilities, particularly the W&OD, and to the neighborhoods nearby.

mstone
    Participant

@zsionakides 182439 wrote:

The MVT and Custis trails are next to highways in spots and that doesn’t discourage use.

I can’t think of a spot where the MVT or Custis are directly between a 10 lane expressway and a sound wall for miles on end. Where custis is adjacent to 66 it’s generally either at a different grade level or outside the sound wall. The MVT is a completely different beast; people complain about the highway adjacency quite a lot, and it’s pretty unsafe, but the road and scenery are a lot less unpleasant than 66.

Judd
    Participant

@mstone 182444 wrote:

I can’t think of a spot where the MVT or Custis are directly between a 10 lane expressway and a sound wall for miles on end. Where custis is adjacent to 66 it’s generally either at a different grade level or outside the sound wall. The MVT is a completely different beast; people complain about the highway adjacency quite a lot, and it’s pretty unsafe, but the road and scenery are a lot less unpleasant than 66.

There are several spots on the MVT where southbound riders are entirely blinded by cars at night. I imagine this could be an issue for westbound riders at night.

The part of the Custis trail that is most adjacent to 66 is thankfully short. It’s so noisy that my normally pleasant call of a pass isn’t audible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsionakides
    Participant

@mstone 182444 wrote:

The WWB path is next to a 10 lane expressway, the PBLs and sharrow Army Navy Drive path are next to 10 (soon to be 11) lanes of I-395 with no sound wall, and the Washington Blvd path is next to a 6 lane expressway. All of these are used modestly and in proportion to their usefulness for getting around. Better connected bike paths get more usage, which is the most important thing for the success of the I-66 path.

For clarification, I’m not advocating for this bad design on I-66, but I would put safety and connectivity of a path above comfort and pleasantry in projecting usage. Despite a less than ideal design, this is still a major improvement over riding in traffic on 40+mph roads or on the sidewalk of 6-8 lane roads.

scoot
    Participant

@zsionakides 182467 wrote:

The WWB path is next to a 10 lane expressway, the PBLs and sharrow Army Navy Drive path are next to 10 (soon to be 11) lanes of I-395 with no sound wall, and the Washington Blvd path is next to a 6 lane expressway.

In none of these cases is there a sound wall outside the path, trapping the noise / exhaust / debris on the trail. With no place for these things to dissipate, the riding environment will be MUCH worse on the future I-66 as designed.

The Custis Trail detour earlier this year between Oak and Quinn offered a nicer riding surface, but it was noticeably unpleasant due to exhaust and noise being trapped above the bike route.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 160 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.